Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, things are getting back to normal here after the storm. I mentioned we feel fortunate to have our power back, and reinforcing that was an update we got from our village yesterday saying that some folks may remain without power for "weeks," so we feel extra lucky to be restored (perhaps there's some reason for this, like we live on the same grid as the mayor). And just this morning we took a big step back to normalcy as the uprooted tree in front of our house was removed, so our walkway is clear once again. Oddly, this was a tree we think was planted by mistake on our curb, as we have plenty of trees, and we think it was supposed to be planted along the more barren curb across the street, so it's likely they won't even try to replace it.

R.I.P.: Mitch Lucker Dead: Suicide Silence Frontman Killed In Motorcycle Crash.

Recovered Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Hordes and Lords.
Links: A 'real' Myst book. Thanks reddit.
Half Life Gordon Freeman Action Figure.
Stories: No prank: On Halloween, US military forces train for zombie apocalypse. Thanks Cutter.
80,000 Pounds Of Walnuts Stolen In California. Thanks Slashdot.
Foxx To Play Electro In "Spider-Man 2".
Science: Measurements retroactively force photons to be both wave and particle.
Images: James Bond. Booze, bonks and bodies. Data compiled by The Economist. Thanks reddit.
Halloween dog parade in New York Pictures.
Media: Amazing Acrobatic Dog - slackline.
50 Years of James Bond Mini Mix Compilation.
Tightwad 007. Thanks reddit.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: Fox Still Owns The Original "Star Wars".
Huge plugs could have spared subways from flooding, developers say. Thanks nin.3

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Fox Still Owns The Original Nov 3, 2012, 21:11 Mr. Tact

Sepharo wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 15:04:
It's been said that there is no longer any original film for Star Wars. That Lucas directly cut up and edited the original reels. I don't think he was bullshitting that one. The best quality we're ever going to get is that Laserdisc.
Cut it up? JFC, the man is even crazier than I thought.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 16:43 xXBatmanXx

banddirector wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 12:15:
Rigs wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 17:54:

On a personal level, however, I'm a major snow fanatic, so I'm all for the blizzards, Nor'Easters and lake effect. Which brings up the question, 'What's the one way to make a snow fanatic miserable?'

Move to FL... Sigh

yeah...

=-Rigs-=

After a life of living where there's snow every year, I can't stand the stuff any more. I would LOVE to move to Florida where I can ride my motorcycle year 'round. On the other hand, maybe *not* being able to ride part of the year makes it all that much sweeter when I can. That, and Florida's pretty flat - - I wonder if I'd miss the mountain rides .....

Same. So tired of the vehicle congestion, crashes, shoveling, salt, slush, parking, etc etc etc. It is a mess. I need to move.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

23. Re: Fox Still Owns The Original Nov 3, 2012, 15:04 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 09:39:
So many questions, so few answers. Starting with even if Disney could make a deal with Fox to Blu-ray the original film, is the original film/negative in an usable state? Will Fox even be willing to make any deals? They strike me as the kind of company which might say, "We own it, screw you. We'll just keep releasing it as it is." Until we learn there are signed contracts saying otherwise, I'm going to assume that Fox will be an obstacle to anything I might want/like to see happen.

It's been said that there is no longer any original film for Star Wars. That Lucas directly cut up and edited the original reels. I don't think he was bullshitting that one. The best quality we're ever going to get is that Laserdisc.

22. Re: Fox Still Owns The Original Nov 3, 2012, 15:03 nin

Jivaro wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 14:53:
banddirector wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 12:23:
So many questions, so few answers. Starting with even if Disney could make a deal with Fox to Blu-ray the original film, is the original film/negative in an usable state? Will Fox even be willing to make any deals? They strike me as the kind of company which might say, "We own it, screw you. We'll just keep releasing it as it is." Until we learn there are signed contracts saying otherwise, I'm going to assume that Fox will be an obstacle to anything I might want/like to see happen.

Disney's so loaded I wouldn't be surprised if they bought out Fox as well - - problem solved!!

The only way Fox gives up any rights is if Disney has something Fox wants/needs...and I just don't have any suggestions what that might be. It wouldn't be money, Fox has plenty of that, it would have to be a license/franchise or a group of licenses/franchises.

I believe fox did the X-Men movies? Since those seem separate from the Avengers line (not unlike how Sony is doing with Spidey), I'm sure Disney could do something to sweeten the pot there...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Fox Still Owns The Original Nov 3, 2012, 14:53 Jivaro

banddirector wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 12:23:

Disney's so loaded I wouldn't be surprised if they bought out Fox as well - - problem solved!!

The only way Fox gives up any rights is if Disney has something Fox wants/needs...and I just don't have any suggestions what that might be. It wouldn't be money, Fox has plenty of that, it would have to be a license/franchise or a group of licenses/franchises.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 13:49 Mr. Tact

I simply couldn't live in Florida permanently. I was in Montgomery, AL for 3 years and that was bad enough. When I got there and I told people I disliked (didn't bother telling them I hated it) the warmer weather, the response was generally the same. "You'll get used to it and never want to move back north." Uh, no.

I like the seasons. I like that sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's warm, sometimes it's bloody hot and sometimes it's bitterly cold. Personally I find it much easier to deal with extremely cold weather than extremely hot weather.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 13:24 Rigs

After a life of living where there's snow every year, I can't stand the stuff any more. I would LOVE to move to Florida where I can ride my motorcycle year 'round. On the other hand, maybe *not* being able to ride part of the year makes it all that much sweeter when I can. That, and Florida's pretty flat - - I wonder if I'd miss the mountain rides .....

If you're already wondering if you'd miss something by moving here, you're better off where you are. Seriously, this state is NOT all it's cracked up to be...by a long shot. I've been here 17 years, longer now than the time I spent growing up in NJ. I tell everyone that I came down here kicking and screaming but in truth I was curious what this place would be like as I had never lived outside of NJ, and aside from week long romps to NM, IN, and VA, never ventured far from it's borders. One thing that stuck with me is something a good friends mom said to me before we left, as they had a summer home on the east coast of FL. She told me that the air in FL has almost no smell, nothing compared to NJ. She was right. Aside for a couple months in the winter, the air in FL is mostly stagnant and I found myself missing NJ's sweet cut grass and clean, cold morning air almost as much as the snow.

Speaking of snow...the year I left NJ (in Sept of 1993), we had a major blizzard - the 'Superstorm of '93'. Never before had I witnessed such an awe-inspiring event. Having to trudge across a frozen lake, along with three friends, every one keeping an eye on the one in front of them, while wearing a swimming mask so I could see in the horizontal, two-inch-per-hour snowfall as the wind howled and thunder boomed, almost as dark as night at noon was something I will NEVER forget. I had loved snow before but that sealed the deal for me.

I can understand the want to get away from the snow and cold, as my parents did coming to FL after spending their whole lives (over 50 years at that point) in NJ. Not everyone loves it. It can be a serious hassle, having to shovel it and walk in it and by the end of the winter you're sick of seeing it. Especially that nasty brown-black crud on the corners and along the roads that melts last and holds all the sand and salt put down that year, which forces you to wash your car frequently so the frame doesn't rust (at least before fiberglass and protective paint came along). I know the feeling. Too much of a good thing is never good either. But you hit on something that few realize. You treasure those warmer seasons more because they are finite and don't last. Being able to do something all the time takes some of the anticipation and fun out of it. You can ride all year down here, yes. Our neighbor rides two or three times a day. You would quickly tire of it though as you pointed out, there are no mountain trails or overlooks here. It's not 'Texas flat' but just somewhat 'hilly'. I liken the topography to NW NJ, where I'm from, though without the Appalachian chain running through it, obviously.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 2012, 13:31.

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

18. Re: Fox Still Owns The Original Nov 3, 2012, 12:23 banddirector

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 12:15 banddirector

Rigs wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 17:54:

On a personal level, however, I'm a major snow fanatic, so I'm all for the blizzards, Nor'Easters and lake effect. Which brings up the question, 'What's the one way to make a snow fanatic miserable?'

Move to FL... Sigh

yeah...

=-Rigs-=

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

16. Re: Fox Still Owns The Original "Star Wars" Nov 3, 2012, 09:39 Mr. Tact

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2012, 06:01 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 18:11:
What do you prefer more, Rigs? A solid Nor'Easter or a good Sou'Wester?

As long as it snows as if Hell itself froze over, it doesn't matter if it's upside down, inside out or sideways...though I do prefer Sou'Wester airlines...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 20:27 xXBatmanXx

Just gotta say.....PC gaming (and gaming in general) is alive and well and I am having some of the best fun I have had in a long time.

That is all.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

13. Sales Nov 2, 2012, 19:52 jimnms

GMG has another 25% off code GMG25-UAAHK-6AI9S

Ravaged is $9.99 @ Rain DG

GameFly has a coupon code for 25% off BETATHANKS

And Faerie Solitaire is free on Steam if you get it before November 8.

With the GameFly code you can get The Walking Dead for $11.99. I was going to wait and get it when all the episodes are out, but I wonder how long it will be for it to go on sale for as low or lower once the last episode is out.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2012, 19:58.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 18:42 w00tie

Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 15:07:
nin wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 11:30:
R.I.P.: Mitch Lucker Dead: Suicide Silence Frontman Killed In Motorcycle Crash.

Never heard of them, but condolences to family and friends, especially the daughter left behind.

Yeah it's werid this is all over the various news but I - and no one I know - has ever heard of this band before.

I'd love to see footage of this Army zombie thing.
He was a really nice guy. It's so tragic to see him go...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 18:26 jdreyer

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:51:
Rattlehead wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:38:
Gamefly has BF3 premium on sale for $48, thats the original + all the DLC and expansions. I finally have a computer good enough to run it and always wanted to play.
Yay or nay?

Depends on your feelings about Origin. Despite its standard BF series flaws (balance, cheating) I enjoyed it immensely for several months. I've always preferred the large scale battles with vehicles style of game vs the COD style though.

Origin is a PITA to set up and register (I had to do twice from scratch due to a nonrecoverable bug in their system), but once logged in, it works fairly seamlessly.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 18:11 Cutter

What do you prefer more, Rigs? A solid Nor'Easter or a good Sou'Wester?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 17:54 Rigs

I take it you guys up there in the NE are not ready for Round 2 yet? Unfortunately, whether anyone's ready or not, in four days it'll be pounding the same ground Sandy did two weeks before... Just hope that this pattern, like the surprise Halloween Blizzard last year, isn't evidence of the rest of the season...

Move to FL... Sigh

yeah...

=-Rigs-=

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 17:11 Jivaro

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:51:
Gamefly has BF3 premium on sale for $48, thats the original + all the DLC and expansions. I finally have a computer good enough to run it and always wanted to play.
Yay or nay?

Depends on your feelings about Origin. Despite its standard BF series flaws (balance, cheating) I enjoyed it immensely for several months. I've always preferred the large scale battles with vehicles style of game vs the COD style though.

It wouldn't shock me to see the whole package drop further down then 48 dollars as we head into the holidays, particularly since BF4 is already on the horizon. That said, if you like those types of games, it isn't like it isn't worth the money. As NegaDeath said it is a largely enjoyable game for fans of the genre despite some of the predictable and tired flaws that the series just doesn't seem to be able to shake.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 16:51 NegaDeath

Yay or nay?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2012, 16:38 Rattlehead

Yay or nay?

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo