Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend

Steam News announces that a free weekend is now underway for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, saying: "Play Counter-Strike: GO for FREE starting now through Sunday at 1PM Pacific Time. You can also pickup CS: GO at 33% off the regular price! "

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 3, 2012, 00:48 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 14:54:
I was just bored and knew that would get a rise out of you :P

Oh I figured that

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 14:54 Verno

I was just bored and knew that would get a rise out of you

Though in all seriousness I can usually get moderately good at GunGame but I just don't enjoy it much even when I'm doing well. I just love the weird ordered chaos and faux teamplay elements in pubbie CS.

CS clan play is a ton of fun but it's really hard to find a clan where they don't promise to scrim and never show up. I've heard GO automates some of that stuff so it'll be interesting to check it out.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2012, 14:59.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

21. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 14:36 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 13:48:
Oh and GunGame sucks Smug

Well yeah... If you suck, GunGame is going to suck.

Campers and Ak/colt/awp users won't have fun.

20. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 13:48 Verno

Oh and GunGame sucks Smug  

19. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 10:23 Smellfinger

GO isn't bad but I'll go to my grave saying that Soldier of Fortune 2 was the high water mark for this kind of shooter.  

18. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 09:57 Verno

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 22:39:
Yeah, I lived and breathed CS pretty hard for a good 2 years or so. Played with a lot of good clans like The Short Yellow Bus, etc. Dunno if I could go back to it now though. Being not as young and twitchy as it were. Still CS was a fucking blast when playing with good people on a good server.

I used to think the same thing but it's all about just getting into the groove. The thing with twitch games is that you need to play them almost exclusively, it's really hard for me to be competitive in CS if I play something slower paced like Civ 5 in between sessions. CS is a strange game that way, once your instincts and reflexes attune to the game again you will have no problem nailing twitch shots and pulling off shit you did in your younger days. You might not just have the same skill ceiling as you used to is all.

Anyways picked this up, see some of you this weekend!

17. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 09:50 Ant

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 09:47:
Ant wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 09:18:
How is this compared to the original CS and HL2's versions? Does it still use money?

Unless you're playing the gun game modes, you buy equipment between rounds, yes.

"Money" being virtual money, not actual real world funds to buy items.
Thanks. I will have to see if I can find time to play this one before 1:00 PM PST on Sunday (stupid time to end it and it still a weekend!).

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

16. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 09:47 nin

Ant wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 09:18:
How is this compared to the original CS and HL2's versions? Does it still use money?

Unless you're playing the gun game modes, you buy equipment between rounds, yes.

"Money" being virtual money, not actual real world funds to buy items.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 09:18 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 06:50 Beamer

Kajetan wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 05:56:
Tigger wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 21:32:
Wow thanks Valve. Now if this damn hurricane hadn't have come along and wiped out not only my power but my Internet as well, I might be able to play it.
And you are posting this how?
There are these wonderful things called cellphones, which come with the internets these days. And they can be powered by plugging them into your car as you drive to get food.

Crazy, right? What's next, TVs no thicker than a loaf of bread?!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 2, 2012, 05:56 Kajetan

Wow thanks Valve. Now if this damn hurricane hadn't have come along and wiped out not only my power but my Internet as well, I might be able to play it.
And you are posting this how?

12. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 23:11 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 22:48:
I only play GunGame Deathmatch. Regular CS just feels way too slow for me. I can still play it just fine though but I have no death aversion.

If you don't like the regular maps there's plenty of variety on the GG servers.

I like the bomb the house/bank, etc but adds GunGame type levels to it......called Demolition.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 22:48 Sepharo

I only play GunGame Deathmatch. Regular CS just feels way too slow for me. I can still play it just fine though but I have no death aversion.

If you don't like the regular maps there's plenty of variety on the GG servers.

10. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 22:39 Cutter

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 22:32:
Must have been 8 years since I last played Counter Strike or any similar game regularly. I took quite some time to get back into it, also because aiming is a bit harder and no more hitboxes (graze his ear and its a headshot). But now I am as good as before. I just miss a lot of maps. I simply cant stand dust, dust2, office, italy or train anymore.

Yeah, I lived and breathed CS pretty hard for a good 2 years or so. Played with a lot of good clans like The Short Yellow Bus, etc. Dunno if I could go back to it now though. Being not as young and twitchy as it were. Still CS was a fucking blast when playing with good people on a good server.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 22:32 Muscular Beaver

Must have been 8 years since I last played Counter Strike or any similar game regularly. I took quite some time to get back into it, also because aiming is a bit harder and no more hitboxes (graze his ear and its a headshot). But now I am as good as before. I just miss a lot of maps. I simply cant stand dust, dust2, office, italy or train anymore.  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

8. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 22:09 Whiskers

I used to be good at these games. The graphics, models and everything are a very nice update, I just can't stand this type of shooter anymore  

7. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 22:02 PHJF

Great, NS2 yesterday and CSGO today?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 21:44 nin

It's a fun little game - grab it when you're back up.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 21:44 Fantaz

I think I'm gonna buy it now at $9... will play a bit to see if it's worth it first.  

4. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Free Weekend Nov 1, 2012, 21:32 Tigger

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo