Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film

Deadline.com has word that Pulp Fiction scribe Roger Avery will write and direct an action/adventure based on the Castle Wolfenstein games (thanks nin). Word is:

Panorama Media and Samuel Hadida announced that they will produce an action-adventure film inspired by the World War II-set video game franchise. Pulp Fiction writer Roger Avery will write and direct the pic, described as in the vein of Captain America and Inglorious Basterds, about a young U.S. Army Captain and a British Special Agent on a top-secret mission to Castle Wolfenstein where Hitler will be for the unveiling of a new secret weapon. After reaching the castle, the heroes are confronted with Himmler’s SS Paranormal Division and must fight not only for their survival but for a mission that could alter the course of the war.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 3, 2012, 01:04 Sepharo

I use "popcorn movie" to just describe fun movies that I think have little critical/artistic value. I know the latter part of that sentence is more vague than the former. I consider The Avengers a popcorn movie; I don't think anyone says that it sucks.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 11:54 PHJF

As an aficionado of both popcorn movies and Doom itself, I can say with absolute certainty Doom was a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible movie. Not quite Uwe Boll, but close enough as makes no matter.

If you want a good "popcorn" movie involving Dwayne Johnson, watch Faster or The Rundown. Doom ain't it.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2012, 13:24.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 11:20 Beamer

There's no such thing as a "popcorn style movie." People just use that to say "it was stupid, but Michael Bay sure did blow stuff up real good! Heehaw!"

Anytime someone says that you know a movie sucks (similarly, any time heavy metal guitar is in a trailer you know a movie sucks.)

I kind of feel sorry for anyone that couldn't find a better way to spend 2 hours than the Doom movie. So many other movies to watch, if you really have to watch a movie...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 11:16 BobBob

MajorD wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:43:
Yeah, the DOOM movie was surely disappointing. Time will tell....

It was an entertaining popcorn style movie.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

17. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 10:32 ^Drag0n^

deqer wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 01:04:
btw, doom movie was great.

OK. You lost me right there.

Kajetan wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 03:04:
If you didnt watch the Doom movie, it was not that bad.

I completely agree with you. If I had not seen the Doom movie, it would not have been that bad. I'd be about $12 richer, too.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

16. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 08:52 Beamer

Yakubs wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 08:36:
I thought Avery was in jail??
He's been out twice as long as he was in.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 08:36 Yakubs

I thought Avery was in jail??  

14. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 08:03 ItBurn

Kajetan wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 03:04:
btw, doom movie was great. not sure what you were expecting, but for me i was not expecting too much for it to match the game or anything; i just enjoyed it. The Rock was great, and in general was a good movie if you don't analyze it too much.
Yeah, i agree. If you didnt watch the Doom movie, it was not that bad. It started to slide when you actually saw it. Horrible, cheap and (whats worst) boring piece of crap.

I really liked the Doom movie. It was cheesy, but it was lots of fun.

That writer is great. He wrote Silent Hill, which is probably the best video game movie I've seen to date. Didn't he kill a man?

13. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 04:47 InBlack

Afeter Iron Sky (Nazi's in Space) Im very surprised that this is going to be produced.

Interest level = 0. I like my fps shooters mostly mindless action fests, but I prefer some intelligence in my movies.

Unless they somehow put a secret level with a Cyberdemon in it. If it has that Im sold.

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 04:28 Capitan

Maybe this can lead to a decent Return to Castle Wolfenstein sequel this time. Not that crap Raven made.... Furious

I'm starving for an old school fps, there you can host your own server, have totaly free hands and all tools to make your own maps, mods etc.

I'm sick of this f2p trend, there you have to play for every single dlc...

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2012, 10:56.

11. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 03:04 Kajetan

btw, doom movie was great. not sure what you were expecting, but for me i was not expecting too much for it to match the game or anything; i just enjoyed it. The Rock was great, and in general was a good movie if you don't analyze it too much.
Yeah, i agree. If you didnt watch the Doom movie, it was not that bad. It started to slide when you actually saw it. Horrible, cheap and (whats worst) boring piece of crap.

10. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 02:39 NamecaF

kyleb wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 22:26:
Perhaps you never made it that far into Wolfenstein 3D or it's just been too long since you have, but it had undead supersolders.

Perhaps you're right. I do remember the mutants in Spear Of Destiny, but I dont remember them in the original game. If they were in it, they were definitely a minor part - there were more regular human nazis than there were supernatural things in the original Wolfenstein 3D.

It wasn't until spear of destiny and then later with Return to Castle Wolfenstein that they focused on that crap. From what I remember anyway.

9. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 2, 2012, 01:04 deqer

Why not take your best action movie and imagine that this new wolfenstein film might be of same calibur. why so much doubt?
story sounds okay to me; so what if it has two protagonists; maybe the lesser one dies and we're left with the main one that wins. and doesn't Paranormal Division mean we'll see paranormal enemies and bosses and a super hilter mechwarrior boss?

8. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 1, 2012, 22:51 theyarecomingforyou

The blurb sounds decent. I'd be surprised if it's a decent film and even if it is it will have little to do with the game, considering that the game had no plot.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 1, 2012, 22:40 Cutter

It *could* be good. But I strongly doubt it.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 1, 2012, 22:26 kyleb

NamecaF wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 21:14:
They should have stuck to the original Wolfenstein 3D premise. Lone American hero cutting a swath through hordes of regular Nazis in a massive castle.
Perhaps you never made it that far into Wolfenstein 3D or it's just been too long since you have, but it had undead supersolders. As for adding a second protagonist, while it isn't true to the games, it gives them more means to tell the story which is arguably necessitated by the transition to a non-interactive format, much like John McClane had Sgt. Al Powell to play off of in Die Hard.

5. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 1, 2012, 21:31 Panickd

With Roger Avary on board this could be a decent film. I trust he'll drop out if the producers turn it to crap (he has with several films in the past).  

4. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 1, 2012, 21:14 NamecaF

C'mon, two protagonists? Focusing on the SS "Paranormal Division"? This is going to be shit.

They should have stuck to the original Wolfenstein 3D premise. Lone American hero cutting a swath through hordes of regular Nazis in a massive castle. *Maybe* even Hitler in a mech-suit as a nod.

It should be Die Hard crossed with Inglorious Basterds, not some supernatural action-adventure P.O.S.

3. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 1, 2012, 20:47 PHJF

At least according to that blurb it will actually involve a castle named Wolfenstein and Nazis. It's already 10000% more faithful than Doom was.

All that remains to be seen is if the American will be named Blazkowicz.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Avery to Write/Direct Wolfenstein Film Nov 1, 2012, 20:43 MajorD

DangerDog wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:34:
They'll f#%* it up

Yeah, the DOOM movie was surely disappointing. Time will tell....

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo