Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Longest Journey Sequel Plans

Funcom announces plans for Dreamfall Chapters, a sequel to The Longest Journey, their highly regarded 1999 point-and-click adventure and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, the game's 2006 follow-up. The game is in pre-production at Red Thread Games, a new studio founded by The Longest Journey creator Ragnar Tørnquist, who will also continue in his role as advisor on The Secret World. Here's the deal:

Funcom is excited to announce that 'Dreamfall Chapters', the long-awaited sequel to the award-winning adventure title 'Dreamfall: The Longest Journey', has gone into pre-production at Red Thread Games, a new studio founded by Ragnar Tørnquist, creator of 'The Longest Journey' saga.

Red Thread Games has licensed the rights to 'The Longest Journey' universe from Funcom, and Mr. Tørnquist will spearhead development of 'Dreamfall Chapters', while continuing in an advisory role as Creative Director on Funcom’s recently launched modern-day massively multiplayer online game ‘The Secret World’.

Last month Joel Bylos stepped into the position as Game Director on the myths, legends and conspiracy themed online game, allowing Mr. Tørnquist to devote more of his time to 'Dreamfall Chapters', which recently entered pre-production.

Red Thread Games will independently fund and produce the sequel to 'Dreamfall', and has entered into a revenue sharing agreement with Funcom as part of the licensing deal. Funcom owns the intellectual property rights for 'The Longest Journey', but due to the company’s focus on and commitment to the development of online games, the decision was made to license the rights to Mr. Tørnquist and his new development studio. The close working relationship between Funcom and Mr. Tørnquist will allow him to continue on as Creative Director of Funcom’s ‘The Secret World’, in parallel with putting together a team to develop 'Dreamfall Chapters'.

“I'm very excited to finally have the opportunity to continue the 'The Longest Journey' saga,” says Ragnar Tørnquist. “Ever since we ended 'Dreamfall' on a nail-biting cliffhanger, players have been rightfully demanding a sequel, and my deal with Funcom will finally make that possible. I'm extremely grateful to Funcom for this unique and exciting opportunity, and I can't wait to dive back into the universe I helped create more than a decade ago, and continue the story players have been waiting for these past six years."

Red Thread Games will release more details about 'Dreamfall Chapters' in the coming months.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 2, 2012, 16:16 Overon

The Longest Journey was super memorable for a few years but I have forgotten a lot of it now. I know it felt memorable.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 2, 2012, 04:42 durandal

Jerykk wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 12:28:
Finally!
My word exactly
Dreamfall may be the most memorable game in my gaming experience in a decade.

25. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 2, 2012, 03:01 Jerykk

I don't think the puzzles in Walking Dead even qualify as puzzles. They're ridiculously easy and require no thought whatsoever. I enjoy Walking Dead for the morally ambiguous choices with potentially far-reaching consequences but if I were to judge it by adventure game standards, it would fail pretty hard.

Again, if you're looking for great adventure games that have logical but clever puzzles, check out Wadjet Eye's games (particularly the Blackwell series). Season 3 of the Sam & Max episodic series was good too and is part of the current Indie Royale bundle, which can be had for approximately $5 and includes other games: http://www.indieroyale.com/

24. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 2, 2012, 00:29 Prez

Sho wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 23:41:
Walking Dead has extremely simplistic puzzles - don't expect to be challenged in any way - but equally extremely rewarding writing.

I'd prefer simple puzzles over "be sure to keep your walkthrough handy", which is why I am actually planning on getting Walking Dead. I'd prefer to wait until they finished it though - I hate epsiodic stuff.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 23:41 Sho

Sorry, accidental double post (quote instead of edit).  

22. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 23:41 Sho

Walking Dead has extremely simplistic puzzles - don't expect to be challenged in any way - but equally extremely rewarding writing.  

21. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 23:35 jdreyer

I've heard that The Walking Dead games are good entries into the Adventure game genre. How are the puzzles in those? If I were to play adventure games, those would be the ones I'd be interested in.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 23:24 Jerykk

Good puzzles are hard to design. On the one hand, you don't want the solution to be blatantly obvious. If you do that, the puzzle is just a waste of time. On the other hand, you don't want the solution to be so convoluted and unintuitive that 99% of players can only solve it through trial and error. It's a tricky balance and one that most adventure games get wrong.

I think Wadjet Eye's adventure games generally do a good job with puzzle design and they're definitely worth looking into if you trying to break into the genre.

19. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 22:50 Sepharo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure  

18. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 22:37 Prez

They're called Adventure games because the first one was called Adventure. At the time most games involved moving a cursor/chracter around and shooting or bouncing/reflecting something... action games. It was the first game where you went on an adventure.

The first game I ever played was called "Adventure" - it was for the Atari 2600 and you were a little block with an arrow fighting dragons (watch out for Rhindle!). Obviously not the same one you are referring to.

The problem I have is that if the puzzles are so impenetrable that I can't figure them out I am either stuck and cannot go on or I have to consult a walkthrough which completely takes me out of the experience. I don't have a very strong ability at puzzle-solving (never could solve that damnable Rubix Cube) so I get stuck A LOT. I did like the Sherlock Holmes game I played that had the built-in hint system - it felt much more natural and I got further into that game than any other Adventure game I ever tried.

17. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 22:00 Sepharo

They're called Adventure games because the first one was called Adventure. At the time most games involved moving a cursor/chracter around and shooting or bouncing/reflecting something... action games. It was the first game where you went on an adventure.

As far as puzzles go I've never really had an issue with the "not making sense" thing. They usually make sense to me... I have a limited amount of interactivity in this area, I also have a few items, how can I use the interactive parts of the area and the items to accomplish something? I think people get hung up on the fact that they can't do anything they want in a game but that's not a limitation of just the Adventure genre. We all know the non-gamer who sits over the shoulder and says "punch that guy!" - "you can't" ... "well climb that ladder!" - "it's not climbable". The game is about working with what you have and what you can interact with.

I think I've come to prefer the puzzles that "don't make sense"... They're harder to figure out, more rewarding when you do. I don't like the simplification of the genre with obvious sparkly solutions. Sometimes it's good to miss and item repeatedly or have a few useless inventory items.

16. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 20:47 Prez

wonkawonka wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:06:
cronik wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:48:
Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:08:

The Longest Journey is widely regarded as the best PC adventure game ever made, so I bought it and tried it. 'The puzzles make sense' I was told.

You got told wrong bro, the puzzles don't make sense.

I've been playing adventure games since Transylvania on the Apple ][, and I can guarantee you that the one thing TLJ doesn't have is puzzles that make sense. Everything else is awesome.

Not to further rub the salt in the wound since I know there are many adventure game fans here, but when the core if the game's interactivity consists of solving puzzles, how is one supposed to overlook how utterly stupid the puzzles are? I'm not trying to be a dick ; I am genuinely interested in knowing. Clearly this genre has millions of fans - they can't all be crazy.

15. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 20:06 wonkawonka

cronik wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:48:

The Longest Journey is widely regarded as the best PC adventure game ever made, so I bought it and tried it. 'The puzzles make sense' I was told.

I've been playing adventure games since Transylvania on the Apple ][, and I can guarantee you that the one thing TLJ doesn't have is puzzles that make sense. Everything else is awesome.

14. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 19:48 cronik

13. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 19:08 Prez

I've never been much of a fan of "adventure games". One could make the argument that Amnesia is one in its truest sense and I'm a huge fan of that, or how about Tomb Raider? Isn't that a game of adventure? For over a quarter century adventure games have inexplicably come to be defined as boring point and click pixel hunting over static, lifeless scenes separated by ridiculously obtuse puzzles wrapped in amazing writing. Hooray for the writing; not so much for the rest.

The Longest Journey is widely regarded as the best PC adventure game ever made, so I bought it and tried it. 'The puzzles make sense' I was told. And then 5 minutes into it I'm pulling on a chain hanging outside of my apartment window into the channel below to retrieve my paycheck. WHAT?? I kept at it, hoping it would get better, and I ended up using a bandaid to repair a whole in a rubber glove to retrieve a key from a sewer enveloped in electricity. Ummm... WHAT?!? I finally quit after I tried to get into some building by setting the trash out back on fire like I was supposed to but some guy just kept repeatedly coming out and putting out the fire.

The story may have been great (it seemed like it was well-written) but what good is a great story in a game where absolutely nothing else makes a lick of sense or involves anything I would consider even remotely fun? Where's the "adventure" in adventure games? That's not to say I haven't somewhat enjoyed a few - "the Monkey Island" games were charmingly funny, and I played a Sherlock Holmes adventure with a built -in hint system that wasn't half bad- but mostly for the last 25 years I've been trying to wrap my head around how this genre ever became so popular. It's easily the most boring and least interactive of genres by a country mile, and I have never played one for more than 10 minutes without getting stuck and needing to refer to a walkthrough because I can't figure out exactly what the developer wants me to do in what order. More power to you if you like these games; try as I might I never could.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 19:13.

12. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 19:00 PropheT

I loved Dreamfall, although the ending definitely bothered me knowing it was entirely possible it would never be resolved.

It's good that they're making a follow-up, though. No cliffhangers this time, please.

11. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 18:42 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 11:19:
Good. Stick with what you know. Adventure games they know. MMOs they don't.

Not sure where that's coming from. Both Anarchy Online and Age of Conan were solid, fun MMOs. Both are still active, AO going on 12 years. Secret World, was released to just okay reviews, but user ratings are up over 8 out of 10, so seems like people are satisfied with it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 17:38 Kajetan

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 11:19:
Good. Stick with what you know. Adventure games they know. MMOs they don't.
Dreamfall was the worst "adventure" i ever had the honor to play. Good story and production values, but horrible gameplay.

9. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Nov 1, 2012, 17:25 entr0py

Watter wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 16:58:
I loved The Longest Journey. I was a latecomer to the game having only played it for the first time a few years ago. Dreamfall however ticked me off more than any game I can remember. There are rules to cliffhangers that every director, author, or game designer needs to follow:

1) It's OK to have a cliffhanger, but always finish a story in a single movie/season/book/game (MSBG from now on). If you have a overall story that spans MSBG's, that's fine and feel free to introduce a new question or plot point (i.e. cliffhanger) at the end of one MSBG as long as you finish the specific story that was the focus of that particular MSBG. If you just tell half a story in one MSBG, you deserve to be shot, hung, shot again, then beaten up.

2) It's only OK to have a cliffhanger, if you already know that there WILL BE ANOTHER BSMG!! If you don't know (and Tørnquist had no funding, publisher, etc. lined up after Dreamfall), then finish your freaking story in the BSMG you're currently working on!

The end of Dreamfall left the story completely untold, with little hope of a conclusion.

Well said. Another The Longest Journey would be nice, but another Dreamfall is nothing I would get excited about. I'm a little worried from the 'Chapters' in the title that he imagines it will be the first of a series again.

8. matthew@welchkin.net Nov 1, 2012, 16:58 Watter

I loved The Longest Journey. I was a latecomer to the game having only played it for the first time a few years ago. Dreamfall however ticked me off more than any game I can remember. There are rules to cliffhangers that every director, author, or game designer needs to follow:

1) It's OK to have a cliffhanger, but always finish a story in a single movie/season/book/game (MSBG from now on). If you have a overall story that spans MSBG's, that's fine and feel free to introduce a new question or plot point (i.e. cliffhanger) at the end of one MSBG as long as you finish the specific story that was the focus of that particular MSBG. If you just tell half a story in one MSBG, you deserve to be shot, hung, shot again, then beaten up.

2) It's only OK to have a cliffhanger, if you already know that there WILL BE ANOTHER BSMG!! If you don't know (and Tørnquist had no funding, publisher, etc. lined up after Dreamfall), then finish your freaking story in the BSMG you're currently working on!

The end of Dreamfall left the story completely untold, with little hope of a conclusion.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo