Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Ship Sequel Kickstarter

This Kickstarter seeks £128,000 of crowdsourced funding for The Ship: Full Steam Ahead (thanks Shacknews), kicking off a new arm of the Kickstarter service focused on the U.K. (still located on the same domain and, as far as we can tell, the same Internet). If the title of this project is familiar, it's because this is an attempt to revive a sequel to The Ship, a game that began as a Half-Life modification, and was released five years ago via retail. A sequel was announced shortly after the game's release, and developer Outlerlight eventually released Bloody Good Time considered to be a spiritual successor. Now the plan is to create a full sequel, which will involve turning the game's setting aboard a steamship into a steampunk ship:

In the spirit of the original, 1920’s game, The Ship: Full Steam Ahead will let you dress up in your Steampunk finery, travel on Victoria’s finest shippage, and ‘drub’ the enemies of the Empire, while those self-same scoundrels, attempt to murder you. You’ll get to play in an evocative, Victorian environment, where eating, sleeping, and promenading (as well as unmentionable ablutions) are just as important as murdering your shipmates. After all, one must have some sense of decorum, don’t you think?

Going beyond this ‘hundredweight’ of original gameplay, we’ll be embracing the rather risqué craze of ‘open development’, waving our merry kerchiefs with much hulabaloo, and setting sail for gameplay unknown. We have plenty of ideas for new features, but most importantly, we want to create something new and rather daring with input from YOU -- our most noble players.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 21:56 nin

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 21:49:
nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:51:
I could have sworn there were bots...

No MP bots in BGT, there was a hack where you could pull some in through the console but that was crap. There might be another hack out there?

Looking at the threads, someone mentions an arcade mode with bots, maybe that's what I did. The only reason I remember it is I very rarely play multi...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 21:49 netnerd85

nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:51:

No MP bots in BGT, there was a hack where you could pull some in through the console but that was crap. There might be another hack out there?

10. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 21:44 Sepharo

I really liked the ideas/gameplay in The Ship and BGT but like most non-traditional MP FPS games like that they always suffer on public servers. One of the few non-traditional games that I seemed to have a consistently fun time with, even on public servers, was SourceForts.  

9. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 20:51 nin

8. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 20:31 netnerd85

nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:29:
I'll admit I wasn't overly impressed with BGT.
Come on, give it what it deserves: a good bashing. It was disappointing to say the least. They limited the fun by trying to force you to use the environment to kill. There were no bots. The maps were TINY.

Whacky weapons is the way to go, not using the environment, people aren't (that) stupid as to walk into a trap - I mean come on.

7. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 19:29 nin

netnerd85 wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 18:59:
nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 13:20:
KTR wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 12:16:
Iirc, Outerlight was bought by Ubisoft which resulted in a collaboration on the Assassin Creed's multiplayer. Once Bloody Good Time came out, Outerlight was down to one employee and Ubisoft closed the studio. Blazing Griffin bought the franchise and started to respark it by offering sales, which has never been done since release (!), and gave 4 extra gift copies to owners of The Ship.

I guess my concern is that, while I enjoyed The Ship, I'd like to know that some of the folks that worked on it and working on the sequel.

Oh no, have you played Bloody Good Time? It's DREADFUL. They failed... bye bye to the "old" developers. Time for some new guys to bring a REAL sequel to the awesome Ship game

Can't wait!

I'll admit I wasn't overly impressed with BGT.

6. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 18:59 netnerd85

nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 13:20:
Iirc, Outerlight was bought by Ubisoft which resulted in a collaboration on the Assassin Creed's multiplayer. Once Bloody Good Time came out, Outerlight was down to one employee and Ubisoft closed the studio. Blazing Griffin bought the franchise and started to respark it by offering sales, which has never been done since release (!), and gave 4 extra gift copies to owners of The Ship.

I guess my concern is that, while I enjoyed The Ship, I'd like to know that some of the folks that worked on it and working on the sequel.

Oh no, have you played Bloody Good Time? It's DREADFUL. They failed... bye bye to the "old" developers. Time for some new guys to bring a REAL sequel to the awesome Ship game

Can't wait!

5. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 17:27 jacobvandy

I've played this a handful of times during multiplayer game nights with friends, and one of them brought this KS project to my attention recently... While The Ship is a lot of fun, and it's natural to have high hopes for any sequel that comes about, I'm also worried about it not being the original creators doing this. It's one thing for another studio to take ownership of an existing title and promote it to spur further interest and sales, but it's something else entirely for them to be able to create a worthy successor.  

4. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 15:13 KTR

I dunno, but okay with it. Gut feeling says this game is better off with new developers.  

3. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 13:20 nin

2. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 12:16 KTR

1. Re: The Ship Sequel Kickstarter Nov 1, 2012, 11:06 nin

After sending this in yesterday, I noticed:

The KickStarter campaign from developer Blazing Griffin is looking for £100,000 (about $160,000). Yes, Blazing Griffin, as it bought the series from creator Outerlight after it shut down. Things sadly did not end well for Outerlight, which it shut up shop shortly after launching its The Ship-inspired murderfest Bloody Good Time.

So a different dev bought the name, and is now trying to KS it. Is there anyone from Outerlight @ BG?

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo