Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Wings over Sealand - The players and the game. Thanks ASeven.
Games journalism is terrible because gamers are getting what they're prepared to pay for. As said a year ago, games journalists are merely serving the people who pay the bills, and that that isn't the readers any more, because they demand all their journalism for free. If you're not even prepared to pay peanuts, you're going to get something less than monkeys. Though on the upside, you'll at least get a near-infinite supply of them, prepared to hammer away at their infinite typewriters for the sheer thrill of a review copy and a free t-shirt or two until they either get their own PR job or burn out, to be replaced from a willing cast of millions of fresh faces.

(Those last two links, incidentally, come from a poorly-written fanblog that somehow got nominated for a GMA. It's difficult to imagine how it found itself elevated to such dizzy heights, at an event mainly voted for by PR people. Oh, wait, no it isn't.)

Until that changes, Intent Media and their ilk will control games journalism, and no criticism from naive outsider idealists like Robert Florence will be permitted.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 05:14 InBlack

Holy shit can you imagine this shit?? Blaming the READERS for not PAYING UP for the truth...thats some journalistic integrity right there.

Hey Stu if youre listening, fuck you. Fuck you a hundred times you dirty motherfucker...

I think Im gonna start a new gaming rag:

www.reviews4money.com

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 22:43 Prez

Flatline wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 21:43:
Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 18:43:
Is this guy for real? It's the readers' fault? Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I've seen it all now.

Eh while I wouldn't put the loin's share of blame on readers, there's enough blame for everyone to go around.

And readers do reward companies that engage in shenanigans. If you're the type that considers day-one purchases, the pre-launch review is a big deal for you probably, and so you reward companies that butter up game publishers in order to get that advanced shit.

So I think the entire industry clue to earring shares some of the blame pie.

I can't buy the "We can't afford to tell you the truth because you won't pony up the chedda' for it!" argument, which is what the author is pitching. That's different from your contention that readers aren't discriminating enough in most cases (which I do agree with). He has the nerve to call Robert Florence a naive outsider because he DARES to question the status quo. If I was Robert Florence, I'd tell this author to go fuck himself.

As an aside, I'm just curious - what does "clue to earring" mean?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 21:43 Flatline

Is this guy for real? It's the readers' fault? Jesus tap-dancing Christ, I've seen it all now.

Eh while I wouldn't put the loin's share of blame on readers, there's enough blame for everyone to go around.

And readers do reward companies that engage in shenanigans. If you're the type that considers day-one purchases, the pre-launch review is a big deal for you probably, and so you reward companies that butter up game publishers in order to get that advanced shit.

So I think the entire industry clue to earring shares some of the blame pie.

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 20:17 ASeven

That's gaming journalism for you! Surprised he didn't use the entitlement word at all.

"Reader are an entitled bunch who only want quality journalism! Entitled, I say!!!"

12. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 18:43 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 15:27 ASeven

Verno nails it pretty much perfectly.  

10. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 15:24 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 15:18:
Beamer wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 14:10:
But who is the money coming from?

Regardless, this acts like it's something new. It's always been ads driving game journalism. Always. This isn't from pageclicks, 10 years ago it was just paper ads.

Ads, of course. But as you say, that's the case with most forms of journalism. The author was trying to imply that the game companies themselves were directly financing the reviewers' sites, which obviously isn't true.

Moreover, the author is actually missing the point. The complaint wasn't about sites, it was about individuals. I'm pretty sure that in "mainstream" journalism if someone were a food critic, say, having them accepting gifts of food from eateries would be considered inducing bias as well.

Yeah, much like how many movie critics refuse to take anything other than viewings from film companies (others will take paid trips.)
But that's not the issue so much here. Someone gets a free PS3. Big deal. In the grand scheme the individual is meaningless. It's the system that is a problem.

Damn near every dollar a game review entity receives comes from a game production company, be it a studio or a publisher. There really is no other revenue stream. So who cares about one PS3 when the entire organization is funded by the game company? Every paycheck comes from them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 15:18 Bhruic

Regardless, this acts like it's something new. It's always been ads driving game journalism. Always. This isn't from pageclicks, 10 years ago it was just paper ads.

Ads, of course. But as you say, that's the case with most forms of journalism. The author was trying to imply that the game companies themselves were directly financing the reviewers' sites, which obviously isn't true.

Moreover, the author is actually missing the point. The complaint wasn't about sites, it was about individuals. I'm pretty sure that in "mainstream" journalism if someone were a food critic, say, having them accepting gifts of food from eateries would be considered inducing bias as well.

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 14:25 Draugr

Bhruic wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 11:17:
If you're a website whose revenue is entirely based on pageviews and clicks

How they can go from that to saying that readers aren't paying the bills, I don't know. Do they think those pageviews and clicks are coming from the companies?

No change. Industry is as it always was. People are more aware now, and given how spread out and easy to enter this industry, some people find their way in that are far more susceptible. But that influence was always around.

Exactly, when it comes to games journalism this has always been par for the course. This isn't some situation that has developed over time.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 14:46.

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 14:10 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 11:17:

How they can go from that to saying that readers aren't paying the bills, I don't know. Do they think those pageviews and clicks are coming from the companies?

No change. Industry is as it always was. People are more aware now, and given how spread out and easy to enter this industry, some people find their way in that are far more susceptible. But that influence was always around.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 13:47 Topevoli

The reason sites like IGN, Gamespot and the rest exist is because of years of faithful viewership and loyalty by its users.

The first sign of trouble they cater to the highest bidder and then blame the people that are the reason for their existence.

Bridge burning is an understatement, this is bridge disintegration.

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 13:01 Agent.X7

I used to write for a big MMO website. Even when I wrote bad things about games, people still accused me of being on the take. It is what it is. People bitch and moan about journalistic integrity, but then they go and give page hits to sites that they complain about anyway.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 11:23 Cutter

I guess if you took any of this at all seriously it might matter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 11:17 Bhruic

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 11:14 Verno

Article is more than a little disingenuous. The fundamental issue isn't that gamers won't pay for quality news, it's that gaming press made their business model directly dependent on publishers. The reason most movie and music reviews don't have the same problem is that they belong a larger company whose advertising revenue model is diversified. They also have the benefit of being able to name and shame companies who attempt to exert pressure or influence content using other outlets. Finally the traditional press typically bands together on things that threaten their ecosystem unlike the gaming press where the instinct is to keep quiet or side with the publisher.

Don't blame it on gamers, this is their shitty system that they evolved. It's easy to argue media consumption standards are at an all time low when it comes to the general public but that doesn't really solve anything. When I see quality reviews in a reputable source that can sustain itself even if it angers Ubisoft by giving Assassin's Creed III an 8 then I will throw money at that.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 11:04 Creston

If you're not even prepared to pay peanuts, you're going to get something less than monkeys

I was prepared to pay peanuts, in fact, I paid quite a bit more than peanuts. But PC Gamer sold out LONG before I quit paying them.

I guess Wings over Sealand expect people to just keep paying for reviews and news that boil down to little more than advertisements?

If a site offers unbiased (re)views and news, I'd be happy to pay them for it. So far, though, very very very few sites do this anymore. Offhand, I'd say RPS is really the only one.

Creston

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo