Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 2, 2012, 09:17 Verno

Panickd wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:20:
They never said which Call of Duty. There are a couple of Android versions of CoD. You wouldn't want to play them on a big ass TV screen (or at all, really) but they do exist.

It's all just so much marketing anyway. No one ever calls out car makers for ads depicting their new luxury SUVs breaking through some very sturdy looking cement walls because the asterisk (fine print in this case) says "Do not attempt. This is a dramatization." If you're so dumb as to buy into everything you see/read/hear then you've clearly fallen through the cracks of natural selection and the marketers are the predators here to feast on your bones.

It's still scummy bullshit, I don't care what the car industry does. Calling your little tegra box a console and name dropping big franchises sets some expectations and so if that comes back to haunt them later then I have no problem saying they deserved it.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 19:20 Panickd

They never said which Call of Duty. There are a couple of Android versions of CoD. You wouldn't want to play them on a big ass TV screen (or at all, really) but they do exist.

It's all just so much marketing anyway. No one ever calls out car makers for ads depicting their new luxury SUVs breaking through some very sturdy looking cement walls because the asterisk (fine print in this case) says "Do not attempt. This is a dramatization." If you're so dumb as to buy into everything you see/read/hear then you've clearly fallen through the cracks of natural selection and the marketers are the predators here to feast on your bones.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 18:34 jdreyer

I didn't invest in this, but it's intriguing. I'm looking fwd to it releasing to see how things play out.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 17:59 Tom

Due diligence is a critical part of investing. If people learn this even a little bit from a $100 KS then something good will have come out of it.

Personally I thought they made the scope of OUYA pretty clear to anyone who cared to pay attention.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 14:38 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 13:03:
I disagree that they made it clear, I think they went out of their way to obfuscate it at times. Their Kickstarter page had claims like "We working on bringing you games like Call of Duty*!" and such on it. Games like Final Fantasy III**. They weren't outright deceiving people but they were certainly playing on expectations. This is assuming they actually manage to ship the thing in the promised timeline (March 2013 IIRC).

That said when backing a kickstarter people should do some research first and always be cautious so I won't exactly feel sympathy for people who were expecting anything other than something that will run Android apps/games and emulate some old consoles.

* Call of Duty not actually available
** The shitty NES $15 Android one that no one cares about

Yeah, I can't feel sorry for anyone that hasn't learned that asterisks (actual or implied) are important and that they should read the fine print. If you don't know that you're rolling the dice with a Kickstarter, then you just aren't paying attention.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 13:03 Verno

I disagree that they made it clear, I think they went out of their way to obfuscate it at times. Their Kickstarter page had claims like "We working on bringing you games like Call of Duty*!" and such on it. Games like Final Fantasy III**. They weren't outright deceiving people but they were certainly playing on expectations. This is assuming they actually manage to ship the thing in the promised timeline (March 2013 IIRC).

That said when backing a kickstarter people should do some research first and always be cautious so I won't exactly feel sympathy for people who were expecting anything other than something that will run Android apps/games and emulate some old consoles.

* Call of Duty not actually available
** The shitty NES $15 Android one that no one cares about

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 11:50 Deathhead

The only shitstorm will be from people too stupid to realize they aren't buying a Nintendo/MS/Sony level of gaming console, they are buying a phone with a controller.

I think they made that pretty clear myself.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 1, 2012, 11:28 Cutter

I can hardly wait to see the eventual shitstorm that will come from the Ouya. Oh baby, and you know it's coming.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo