Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 11:22 Beamer

Creston wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 11:01:
Beamer wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 18:41:
Creston wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 17:32:
I like how everyone ignores that MS's wonderful installer gives him the exact same option twice. So either the installer is fucking stupid, or it somehow is reading two of his drives as identical volumes and assigning them the same volume number.

If it's the latter, he's going to have all kinds of fun data loss in the not-so-terribly-far future.

Creston

You must have me blocked, because I've repeatedly said that this is the point of the guy's comment, and said that Microsoft very severely dropped the ball here.

My bad, missed that.

Creston

Oh. I genuinely figured you'd blocked me, which would have been kind of funny because I feel like I respond to you often.

But yeah, we agree - this was Microsoft messing something up. Even if other people are claiming it was super easy, in this guy's case something went wrong in a place it absolutely should not.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 11:01 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 18:41:
I like how everyone ignores that MS's wonderful installer gives him the exact same option twice. So either the installer is fucking stupid, or it somehow is reading two of his drives as identical volumes and assigning them the same volume number.

If it's the latter, he's going to have all kinds of fun data loss in the not-so-terribly-far future.

Creston

You must have me blocked, because I've repeatedly said that this is the point of the guy's comment, and said that Microsoft very severely dropped the ball here.

My bad, missed that.

Creston

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 10:01 Verno

InBlack wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 06:58:
I have only one question:

Are there any benchmarks (dualboot on the same machine) of Win7 compared to Win8 side by side???

Things that interest me in particular, boot up time, performance in various programs (when did apps become the 'new' in-thing anyway?) and load times.

The only possible reason why I would upgrade to Win8 is if it were faster then Win7 AND I could be certain that there were no restrictions on which programs (apps if you like) I could run on my machine.

There is roughly no speed differential between them, all of the benchmarks I've seen are within margin of error sampling. On some machines Windows 8 boots faster, on others it inexplicably boots slower. You can run whatever Win32 (desktop) apps you want just like normal. You cannot sideload Metro apps at all, you must use the Microsoft Store and to do so you need a Microsoft Account as well.

If you have Windows 7 there is no need to upgrade, literally no compelling reason at all unless you are married to the Bing infrastructure.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 09:38 Ant

InBlack wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 06:58:

Are there any benchmarks (dualboot on the same machine) of Win7 compared to Win8 side by side???

Things that interest me in particular, boot up time, performance in various programs (when did apps become the 'new' in-thing anyway?) and load times.

The only possible reason why I would upgrade to Win8 is if it were faster then Win7 AND I could be certain that there were no restrictions on which programs (apps if you like) I could run on my machine.
I remember seeing an article, but I don't remember where.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 09:20 Verno

Enahs wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:17:
Actually, there are some other things besides the new interface.

On the background, Windows now has Kernal timing clock cycle savings ability linux had like 10 years ago (or something) and Mac has since 2007.

It also has some memory saving features, that again, Linux had for a while now.

So it is significantly more efficient on memory and power.
For a super computer, you will not notice it; and yes it does benefit tablets more then anything; but it does help out regular laptops as well. And in general, making anything more efficient is good!

There are a lot of other behind the scene features upgraded, that other OSs have had for a while now. Again, they do not make a major different on powerful PCs; but, again, efficiency is better!

It is a substantial improvement in the OS, that will not actually have any tangible benefits for a lot of people.

I've read the same Arstechnica review and got the impression that many (if not most) of the improvements only apply to WinRT apps. The kernel level improvements make virtually no difference whatsoever.

You're just skirting around the fact that other than Metro, there are few if any large features to warrant an upgrade. Windows 8 is essentially Windows 7 with Metro. The most positive thing you can say about it is that its a cheaper version of Windows 7.

Windows 8 is really pointless - it is basically Windows 7 with a neat, quirky start screen that plays like a massive Bing desktop

Indeed, that's the frustrating thing. Even calling this a major version feels disingenuous. I'm all for innovation but let's actually see some.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2012, 09:28.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 06:58 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 06:49 Beamer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 06:24:
NegaDeath wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 22:54:

Suuuuuuuure you did. Wink

Believe what you want. Just because you don't know it doesn't mean that others don't.

It doesn't matter that you know, what's odd is that you think Microsoft should expect their users to know. And that you consider it "dumbing down" not to.

Do you also advocate that every new Dell should ship with one of those stealth keyboards that doesn't have any letters on the keys?

-------------

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 2, 2012, 06:24 Burrito of Peace

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 22:54:

Believe what you want. Just because you don't know it doesn't mean that others don't.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 23:11 J

Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 22:59:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:43:
Snobby c|net author:
"Volume" how very 1980's, I prefer...digital storage device! How could anyone deal with such low brow technology.

Hipster:
I was using volumes before they were cool.

Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Oh it's a pretty obscure number. You've probably never heard of it.
Did you hear the one about the hipster who burnt the roof of his mouth?

He ate some pizza before it was cool

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 22:59 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 20:43:
Snobby c|net author:
"Volume" how very 1980's, I prefer...digital storage device! How could anyone deal with such low brow technology.

Hipster:

Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: Oh it's a pretty obscure number. You've probably never heard of it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 22:54 NegaDeath

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:16:
Easily done:

S0,SDA1,P1,Volume 0 - System Reserved
S0,SDA1,P2,Volume 1, - Windows
S1,SDA2,P1,Volume 2, - Apps and Games
S2,SDA3,P1,Volume 3, - Media

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 20:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Snobby c|net author:

Hipster:

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 20:32 bigspender

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 15:40:
This was an incredibly stupid article. The author needs to stick with mobile devices if something as fundamental as a "volume" blows his mind.

yep the author is an idiot.

it took me < 5 minutes to install off a usb drive, dunno how he managed to get the install to take an hr.

it is literally 3 clicks of the next button to do a fresh install :S you could do it blind folded just about.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 19:25 TurdFergasun

looks like something that should have stayed mobile only, like iOS vs OSX. how about miOS or just metro? big mistake force-feeding a touch based os to the desktop imo instead of just releasing a new service pack on the very popular and well received current MS OS. i'll be installing it as a vm only, and only to familiarize with it for the purpose of tech assistance.  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 19:17 Enahs

Actually, there are some other things besides the new interface.

On the background, Windows now has Kernal timing clock cycle savings ability linux had like 10 years ago (or something) and Mac has since 2007.

It also has some memory saving features, that again, Linux had for a while now.

So it is significantly more efficient on memory and power.
For a super computer, you will not notice it; and yes it does benefit tablets more then anything; but it does help out regular laptops as well. And in general, making anything more efficient is good!

There are a lot of other behind the scene features upgraded, that other OSs have had for a while now. Again, they do not make a major different on powerful PCs; but, again, efficiency is better!

It is a substantial improvement in the OS, that will not actually have any tangible benefits for a lot of people.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 19:16 Burrito of Peace

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 17:16:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 16:32:
Volume location and identification is one of the most fundamental things blah blah

List out the volume numbers of your drives and partitions but only do it off the top of your head. If we're to replicate his experience then you can't use control panel to look it up.

Easily done:

S0,SDA1,P1,Volume 0 - System Reserved
S0,SDA1,P2,Volume 1, - Windows
S1,SDA2,P1,Volume 2, - Apps and Games
S2,SDA3,P1,Volume 3, - Media

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 18:43 Beamer

Ray Marden wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 18:28:
I've been running Windows 8 since the official release day without a single issue. I never tried any of the beta versions, having only watched a few preview videos, and I got lazy - I just popped in the DVD and had it do an install over my existing Windows 7 keeping all Windows and personal files.

One hour later, I was running Windows 8 and haven't looked back. This was the single easiest install of any operating system that I have ever done. And it did not just give me a barren OS; it actually kept everything - all my documents, all my programs, I didn't have to reinstall a single game, I have all my bookmarks, it remembered my user and computer name, etc.
The writer of the "article" seems like a moron with an axe to grind.
Windows 8 is really pointless - it is basically Windows 7 with a neat, quirky start screen that plays like a massive Bing desktop or a massive representation of a cell phone's simplified interface. I will say it is actually fun to have something new to explore or play around with as part of a Windows OS, but it really does feel like something running atop Windows 7 instead of a brand new OS (which, I know, is the opposite of what it really is...) More than anything, I wish the Metro desktop did more - many things can only be done in the Windows 7 app (Metro will kick you back to it) or the Metro version is inferior to the Windows 7 app version (customization, ease of access, handling multiple windows, etc.)

All that aside, it was $40 for the physical product, it is working without any issues, seems to be slightly more responsive, and I was blown away by how simple the installation was. If you want the latest and greatest and want to have a little fun within Windows, give it a shot. You can readily work from whichever desktop you want.

But make no doubt - nobody needs this install. It is not a fully fledged OS. From a functional perspective, it acts like Windows 7 with a quirky GUI/splash screen that can readily be bypassed.

That aside, I am glad I spent the $40.00 to have even one moment of "fun" with the OS. I can't remember the last time I said that about Windows itself...

Noting that Windows 7 (app) is missing the Start button and transparencies,
Ray

This is my exact take on the OS. It isn't terrible. It's unnecessary for anyone not using the tablets, or possibly phone, but it isn't terrible. It's probably kind of fun for the price.

It's just unnecessary. It's perhaps too early, and clearly designed to boost the Windows ecosystem so that places like The Verge don't keep docking 1 point out of 10 on the overall score of Windows devices due to a lack of apps.

Given that the price is low, I'm ok with this.

-------------

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 18:41 Beamer

Creston

-------------

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 18:28 Ray Marden

I've been running Windows 8 since the official release day without a single issue. I never tried any of the beta versions, having only watched a few preview videos, and I got lazy - I just popped in the DVD and had it do an install over my existing Windows 7 keeping all Windows and personal files.

One hour later, I was running Windows 8 and haven't looked back. This was the single easiest install of any operating system that I have ever done. And it did not just give me a barren OS; it actually kept everything - all my documents, all my programs, I didn't have to reinstall a single game, I have all my bookmarks, it remembered my user and computer name, etc.
The writer of the "article" seems like a moron with an axe to grind.
Windows 8 is really pointless - it is basically Windows 7 with a neat, quirky start screen that plays like a massive Bing desktop or a massive representation of a cell phone's simplified interface. I will say it is actually fun to have something new to explore or play around with as part of a Windows OS, but it really does feel like something running atop Windows 7 instead of a brand new OS (which, I know, is the opposite of what it really is...) More than anything, I wish the Metro desktop did more - many things can only be done in the Windows 7 app (Metro will kick you back to it) or the Metro version is inferior to the Windows 7 app version (customization, ease of access, handling multiple windows, etc.)

All that aside, it was $40 for the physical product, it is working without any issues, seems to be slightly more responsive, and I was blown away by how simple the installation was. If you want the latest and greatest and want to have a little fun within Windows, give it a shot. You can readily work from whichever desktop you want.

But make no doubt - nobody needs this install. It is not a fully fledged OS. From a functional perspective, it acts like Windows 7 with a quirky GUI/splash screen that can readily be bypassed.

That aside, I am glad I spent the $40.00 to have even one moment of "fun" with the OS. I can't remember the last time I said that about Windows itself...

Noting that Windows 7 (app) is missing the Start button and transparencies,
Ray

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 18:33.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2012, 18:00 NegaDeath

Creston

I'm giving them some (very little) slack on that as he's doing an upgrade install on a preview version of 8. I've read upgrading from 7 to 8 works much cleaner so it sounds like preview->release upgrade installs are buggy, which won't affect a lot of casual users that might get lost.

Still not buying 8 though. I use a desktop OS, not a frankenstein hybrid.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo