Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had an incredible turnout for Halloween last night, as the trick-or-treaters were undeterred by unlit streetlights, possible electrocution, and a tree lying across the walkway to our house. The kids we get are so sweet and polite I want to rush out and put them all in charge of the world before they lose any of that.

Speaking of being king of the world, I went all Leo DiCaprio on the NFL picks last week and ended up at 11-3. Verno, Cutter, and Jivaro were 9-5, Creston and Batman were 8-6, and Rigs paid the price for some bold picks with a 5-9 record. Here goes for this week: Chargers, Packers, Lions, Bears, Broncos, Redskins, Ravens, Dolphins, Texans, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Giants, Falcons, and Saints.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Red Ball 4.
Links: Apollo Flight Controller 101: Every console explained.
Mark Hamill on Star Wars: Episode VII.
Media: Tesla and Twain: The Original Odd Couple. Thanks Cutter.
Top 10 Ways To Smash A Pumpkin. Today is the greatest day I've ever known.
Hobbit inspired aircraft safety video.
Follow-up: George Lucas Will Use $4 Billion to Fund Education. Thanks Kotaku.
Premature babies' story of survival in superstorm.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie postpones Halloween due to Hurricane Sandy.
New York City Marathon to Go On, Stirring Debate.
Storm unearths very old skeletons in New Haven park. Go into the light!
Sandy Frees 2 Panthers in Fla.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 15:51 Cutter

Rigs wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 13:59:
Edit: I just noticed everyone picking the Saints, may I inquire as to why?

=-Rigs-=

Even playing poorly as they are The Saints are definitely the better team and the Eagles are sucking major wind atm. It really could go either way but the smart money is definitely on the Saints.

Here's the spread breakdown.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 15:39 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 15:12:
CS GO 9.99 today on Steam. Has some game types that I like, otherwise I wouldn't mention it. Fun game, for a CS basher, I put a lot of time into the game and still play it off and on.

Thanks, that was the price I was waiting for.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

19. Re: Skyrim update Nov 1, 2012, 15:20 xXBatmanXx

Wow, 204MB update just now. Going to look into it.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 15:12 xXBatmanXx

CS GO 9.99 today on Steam. Has some game types that I like, otherwise I wouldn't mention it. Fun game, for a CS basher, I put a lot of time into the game and still play it off and on.

1) They are at home. When in doubt, home field advantage, particularly for dome teams.

BOOM. Saints at home are crazy good. (and great players shine on Monday night aka "PRIMETIME". Expect Brees to put up MVP numbers.)

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 15:19.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 15:09 Creston

=-Rigs-=

Homefield advantage and a better QB. Those things typically win in the NFL. (probably to the extent of 60-65% of the time.) So if it's otherwise reasonably evenly matched teams, always go with the home team with the better QB.

creston

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 15:06 Jivaro

Edit: I just noticed everyone picking the Saints, may I inquire as to why? =-Rigs-=

In a game of two completely underperforming teams....I picked them for two reasons:

1) They are at home. When in doubt, home field advantage, particularly for dome teams.
2) The Saints offense isn't the problem. I just don't see the Philly offense being able to keep up. Particularly as tentative as they have been playing.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 14:57 xXBatmanXx

Another brutal week, and another week with a lot of games that are going to be close and some major upsets. ATL going down this week.

SD, GB, DET, CHI, DEN, CAR, BAL, IND, HOU, MN, TB, NY, DAL, NO.
5 underdogs this week.

You know guys, I setup a group on http://www.beattheinsiders.com/ last year, no one joined. Be easy to just throw your picks there....
Groupname: BluesNews (created by BatmanX)

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 14:22 J

No! Don't go into the light!!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 13:59 Rigs

...and Rigs paid the price for some bold picks with a 5-9 record.

Very nicely put, Blue. I would have just said I got my ass handed to me for trying to show off...

We didn't have Halloween here last year and this year was sort of an afterthought (though I swear it was more 'festive' this year...certainly more talked about than usual, last year I almost missed it completely), we were out of candy after 10 doorbells and crazy dog barking sessions (we have an 8 yr old Pomeranian with a big mouth and a 15 yr old poodle mix that can't hear and can barely see but when one starts, they both go...and go...and go...). The rest of the street was pretty noisy until around 10...

Anyway, my picks...I have to admit that I paid more attention to the NASCAR race than the football games, only to watch Jimmie Johnson win another race...damn punk!...at least Brad (Keslowski, #2) came in 6th and kept 2nd in the points, so I'm happy - for now...

Chargers, Cardinals, Ravens, Colts, Jaguars, Broncos, Titans, Redskins, Texans, Seahawks, Bucs, GIANTS, Falcons, Eagles

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 13:24 nin

sauron wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 12:54:
Great Halloween turnout here in Harlem as well. Even my cat had a costume. Then again, he's a black cat so he's in costume all year!

We had about 15 bags of candy and they were all gone by 7pm. Lots of happy kids.

The crazy cat guy would like to encourage you to post pictures of your cat!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 12:54 sauron

Great Halloween turnout here in Harlem as well. Even my cat had a costume. Then again, he's a black cat so he's in costume all year!

We had about 15 bags of candy and they were all gone by 7pm. Lots of happy kids.

Kittens!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 12:42 John

Jivaro wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 11:34:
So much for my whole "Philly over Atlanta" logic. The Eagles did everything they could to make the Atlanta defense look like the Steel Curtain or Purple People Eaters from the 70s. What the hell is up with their offensive line?
Atlanta is on fire this year! Go Falcons!

I'm a GA boy so I gotta give them my props..

This space is available for rent

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 12:41 PHJF

Most of the Cleveland area postponed trick or treating to the weekend.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 12:05 Verno

My picks for this week:

Chargers, Ravens, Broncos, Packers, Cowboys, Texans, Colts, Lions, Bears, Redskins, Seahawks, Saints, Giants, Raiders

No Jets game FTL.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 11:34 Cutter

Meh, it was a crappy night for Halloween here. Rainy, cold, bleh. Poor kids. Oh well, always next year...maybe, guess we'll see after Dec. 21st.

And yes, everyone watch that Cracked "Tesla and Twain" video. It's seriously effing funny!

As for last weeks picks I'm still pissed that 3 of my picks did not behave as was warranted! Grrr! So this week....

Chargers, Colts, Texans, Ravens, Broncos, Bears, Lions, Packers, Redskins, Bucs, Seahawks, Giants, Falcons, Saints.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 11:34 Jivaro

So much for my whole "Philly over Atlanta" logic. The Eagles did everything they could to make the Atlanta defense look like the Steel Curtain or Purple People Eaters from the 70s. What the hell is up with their offensive line? Everybody wants to skin Vick or Reid, I just don't think they are the problem. When your quarterback has been hit 30 more times then the next closest QB and your running back can only get yards if he can break two tackles....that is an offensive line problem.

Anyway, crying aside...picks for this week...
San Diego, Denver, Baltimore, Green Bay, Houston, Indy, Detroit, Chicago, Washington, Oakland, Seattle, Pitt, Atlanta, New Orleans

I am going against my gut on a few games this week and just picking the teams that are better "on paper", with the exception of Oakland and Seattle. I just don't think either team is going to lose to inconsistent teams at this point in the season when they are at home, particularly Seattle. In case no one has noticed...they really like playing at home.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 11:19 Efflixi

I just got the same takeover ad that you seemed to have gotten rid of last week Blue. Anyone else seeing it?  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 11:17 John

Blue wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 10:49:
We had an incredible turnout for Halloween last night, as the trick-or-treaters were undeterred by unlit streetlights, possible electrocution, and a tree lying across the walkway to our house.
That just added to the Halloween atmosphere..

This space is available for rent

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 11:10 Creston

Hey, don't knock a guy when he gives to worthy causes. If he gave only a billion of his money away, he deserves to be lauded. And a billion dollars can do a LOT in education.

As for my picks: Chargers, Broncos, Ravens, Packers, Bears, Colts, Redskins, Jaguars, Texans, Seahawks, Bucs, Giants, Falcons, Saints.

Creston

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2012, 11:08 nin

Did the dogs dress up?!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo