Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Follow-up to this.

Eurogamer.net - Lost Humanity 18 Aftermath.
The first is that a lot of people want to know more about why I made the changes and issued an apology. The answer is that Lauren Wainwright threatened us with legal action and made it clear she would not back down, at which point we took legal advice and ultimately made the decision to remove the paragraphs. It was not a decision that I took lightly. One objection to this action that I've read online is that there was no libel. All I can really say is that the advice we received meant that removing the offending text and apologising to Lauren was the right course of action to take. We also considered the fact that the article wasn't really about her but about all of us, and I felt that the edited version did not change Rab's meaning.

The second main reaction seems to have come mostly from people who work in the games industry - it's all over my Twitter feed, anyway - and it's that a lot of people want to forget about the whole thing and move on. It's just video games, they say. It's not as important as all this. Well, I don't want to move on. It is important. And I don't want to move on for the same reasons I published Rab's column in the first place: I believe there is a lot of truth in what he says.

View
22. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 17:57 Flatline

Draugr wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 00:55:
Flatline wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 00:23:
In a perfect world yes her writing career would be in the toilet. Sadly, she ain't going nowhere because she has TITTIES!

No actually, the reason her writing career won't be in the toilet is because she isn't doing anything out of the norm for a gaming 'journalist.' In fact pointing that out is what started this whole thing in the first place. It just so happens she was selected as one of the many people who could have been used as an example. A far more disappointing reason.

So game journalists traditionally threaten legal action when they're quoted? And then instead of WRITING about the situation like a good journalist would, game journalists engage in a system of cover-ups and editing to mask evidence that might support the original statements that they objected to?

If that's the case, game journalism needs to die. Painfully. And then it's corpse needs to be pissed on, burned, the ashes scattered to the wind, and the tongues cut out of anyone who mentions it ever again. Because that's major bullshit.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 31, 19:09 Re: Op Ed Cutter
  2. Oct 31, 19:23  Re: Op Ed ASeven
  3. Oct 31, 19:40   Re: Op Ed nin
  4. Oct 31, 20:09    Re: Op Ed Prez
  5. Oct 31, 21:10     Re: Op Ed Dades
  10. Nov 1, 00:23     Re: Op Ed Flatline
  11. Nov 1, 00:55      Re: Op Ed Draugr
  12. Nov 1, 07:13       Re: Out of the Blue Rigs
  13. Nov 1, 07:32        Re: Out of the Blue Dades
  14. Nov 1, 07:47        Re: Out of the Blue Golwar