Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Follow-up to this.

Eurogamer.net - Lost Humanity 18 Aftermath.
The first is that a lot of people want to know more about why I made the changes and issued an apology. The answer is that Lauren Wainwright threatened us with legal action and made it clear she would not back down, at which point we took legal advice and ultimately made the decision to remove the paragraphs. It was not a decision that I took lightly. One objection to this action that I've read online is that there was no libel. All I can really say is that the advice we received meant that removing the offending text and apologising to Lauren was the right course of action to take. We also considered the fact that the article wasn't really about her but about all of us, and I felt that the edited version did not change Rab's meaning.

The second main reaction seems to have come mostly from people who work in the games industry - it's all over my Twitter feed, anyway - and it's that a lot of people want to forget about the whole thing and move on. It's just video games, they say. It's not as important as all this. Well, I don't want to move on. It is important. And I don't want to move on for the same reasons I published Rab's column in the first place: I believe there is a lot of truth in what he says.

View
10. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 00:23 Flatline

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 20:09:
Lauren is a pathetic cretin who should never make a dime off the industry again. Eurogamer shouldn't have caved; I have read repeatedly that her claims would have not held up in UK court. As an aside, her employer only denied that they made any legal threats in their statement; they never denied she did.

Also, bravo to Atkinson for so eloquently stating why the UK law is so mind-numbingly stupid and evil.

In a perfect world yes her writing career would be in the toilet. Sadly, she ain't going nowhere because she has TITTIES!

Seriously, you go look at her blog, and pretty sick how blatant the pandering is... her about me read something like "I love GAMES and boys (teehee!) and glitter and I write occasionally!"

And she'll catch writing contracts because she's the illusive "female gamer" and is willing to ever so gently sexualize herself to claim she can get the nerds drooling after her.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 31, 19:09 Re: Op Ed Cutter
  2. Oct 31, 19:23  Re: Op Ed ASeven
  3. Oct 31, 19:40   Re: Op Ed nin
  4. Oct 31, 20:09    Re: Op Ed Prez
  5. Oct 31, 21:10     Re: Op Ed Dades
>> 10. Nov 1, 00:23     Re: Op Ed Flatline
  11. Nov 1, 00:55      Re: Op Ed Draugr
  12. Nov 1, 07:13       Re: Out of the Blue Rigs
  13. Nov 1, 07:32        Re: Out of the Blue Dades
  14. Nov 1, 07:47        Re: Out of the Blue Golwar