Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 1, 2012, 12:08 Verno

Streaming is really cheap, its the dvd stuff that adds to the membership significantly.

I use Netflix and Sickbeard to supplement the few current shows worth watching.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 1, 2012, 10:59 Jivaro

It seems to me that part of the problem with Netflix regarding TV episodes is that when it started a great deal of the networks didn't have a content delivery system yet so providing content through Netflix made sense to the networks (added revenue stream and more exposure to more people), particularly since a good deal of Netflix's competition either didn't exist or was very early in development. Now Netflix has a great deal of competition and most of the networks have content distribution of their own. I don't feel like they have done a very good job of staying competitive with modern content despite raising their monthly fees. For all my bitching though, I still pay my monthly fee. If they raise it again without actually getting better, I am probably going to drop it and just use a combination of Amazon and Hulu to fill the role.  

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 1, 2012, 08:32 {PH}88fingers

Being that I travel quite often and end up in various Caribbean countries for semi extended periods I subed to strongvpn.com to get around all the steam blocks, netflix etc. for $50 a year it is well worth it.

During the New York downtime a few days ago they sent me an email saying 30 days free at strongdns.com

I have never tried it but might be worth a try for you guys.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 1, 2012, 07:33 Dades

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 22:27:
This works as well, and is free. http://tunlr.net/

No it doesn't work for Netflix anymore. They removed support for it.

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 1, 2012, 07:20 Enahs

Yes, I love my NetFlix account.

There is a lot of stuff on streaming I watch; but it is not by any means everything. I also do the 1 DVD out at a time for modern movies.

It is really just the other companies. They all want to compete with NetFlix on streaming content, so make it prohibitively expensive for NetFlix to do streaming; meanwhile they do not yet have their service available.

And I am not sure why CEOs of 100 different media companies thinks it is a good idea to have 100 different sources for streaming content...

More then one is good for the consumer, but too many is just silly.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 1, 2012, 01:16 Prez

Even the TV shows are way behind such as Dexter which only has the first three seasons and most of the documentaries are fairly old as well.

Showtime took Dexter off of Netflix in the US almost 2 years ago when Netflix refused to renew the Starz contract at the outrageous price Showtime was asking. This kind of encapsulates almost all of the major issues with Netflix - virtually all of them are the fault of the license holders, not Netflix itself.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 23:11 Wallshadows

Thanks for the feedback fellas! I'll look in to the suggestions provided here and see if I can pop in to the US version to see what's what.  

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 22:27 Mashiki Amiketo

This works as well, and is free. http://tunlr.net/  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 21:39 Dades

Bhruic wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 20:11:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 19:33:
Is it just the Canadian version which has terrible selection or is this what I can expect as the 'norm'?

Pretty much just the Canadian version. I had the same experience. There's lots of stuff that I could search for and would show up, but then wasn't visible in Canada.

There's some proxies you can use to fake being in the US that'll give you a larger selection, but I'm not sure it's worth it for the one month trial.

My friends swear by unblock-us, its not a real proxy, just a dns redirection for their content servers. The US streaming content is incredible compared to how shitty the canadian one is, something like 100 times the content.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 20:24 jacobvandy

You're not going to get new TV episodes from Netflix, that's just not how it works. Their library is based on what's been released on DVD, and even then they don't always get to compete with those sales for whatever period of time. You need Hulu for that, or something like Amazon Video or Apple TV where you can buy individual episodes as soon as they air. I've found their collection of older stuff to be more than satisfactory for most of my needs, however. Unfortunately, if it's movies you're after, you're going to have to keep an eye on their rotating schedule of licenses, since those bastards are raising the costs so much that Netflix can't afford to have everything they possibly could get on the service simultaneously without significantly raising the subscription fee.  

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 20:17 mag

I signed up to streaming Netflix for the free month and I am simply blown away by the atrocious selection they have in the Horror and Sci-Fi & Fantasy sections which happen to be the only genres which really interest me.

Even the TV shows are way behind such as Dexter which only has the first three seasons and most of the documentaries are fairly old as well.

Is it just the Canadian version which has terrible selection or is this what I can expect as the 'norm'?

The Canadian selection is worse than the US selection, but it's not all that good either, if you're looking for recent American TV and movies. The foreign horror movie selection is pretty good, though, if you're willing to dip into Korean and Japanese stuff.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 20:11 Bhruic

Pretty much just the Canadian version. I had the same experience. There's lots of stuff that I could search for and would show up, but then wasn't visible in Canada.

There's some proxies you can use to fake being in the US that'll give you a larger selection, but I'm not sure it's worth it for the one month trial.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2012, 19:33 Wallshadows

I signed up to streaming Netflix for the free month and I am simply blown away by the atrocious selection they have in the Horror and Sci-Fi & Fantasy sections which happen to be the only genres which really interest me.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo