Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2

The Natural Selection 2 Website announces that Natural Selection 2 was released on Steam during our downtime, offering this highly anticipated action/strategy sequel. Here's word:

After a journey of over 5 years, after many course adjustments and the judicious use of fuel, we approach station NatSel. Repeat: prepare to dock with NatSel.

The Kharaa presence has been confirmed onboard. Before we lost our readings, sensors showed multiple forms moving at incredible speed through the ventilation shafts and maintenance tubes. Expect immediate and intense conflict the moment you deploy.

Control the resources. Defend your base. Listen to your commander. Be prepared to face more and more powerful alien foes. Learn their many forms and abilities, and how to counter them. Find the heart of the Kharaa threat, and eradicate it. The battle begins now. Its outcome rests in your hands.

Luck and victory to us all.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Nov 1, 2012, 19:38 Mordecai Walfish

Aero wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 11:53:
Any bots to practice/learn/screw around with, or is it trial by fire?

There is also an exploration mode where you can spawn in a fully developed level (with all of the critters and upgrades unlocked) and try out anything you want, but no one else will be there. There may be ways to invite others though as it asks how many players max to start the game with when you go into the exploration mode.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Nov 1, 2012, 14:09 BicycleRepairMan

You are stuck with an empty map mode, basically, but there are some good overview/training videos on Youtube, and they link to those ingame. I havent had the chance to play as my rig sucks right now,but it doesnt look too hard to get the basic concepts, I think I'll stay away from the commander role until I've played a few games.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Nov 1, 2012, 12:51 PHJF

There is a "training mode" but being a veteran I'd no reason to try it.

As with all things, best to dive in and pick it up as you go. Just don't command until you've figured out everything (which will take hours). Use a mic and ask questions if you don't know how something works.

If anything, being an NS vet put me at a disadvantage. While the marines play much as they did, aliens are totally different.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Nov 1, 2012, 11:53 Aero

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Nov 1, 2012, 02:19 bigspender

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 20:40:
I can't even manage 60fps on my system, even with Ambient Occlusion turned off. That's mainly because I'm playing at 2560x1600 and it doesn't support SLI. It's certainly not a very well optimised game. Black Mesa looked and performed much better.

must be something to do with your resolution or maybe even win8 (its probably not tested/optimized for win8 drivers)

im running only one gtx670 and my cpu isn't anywhere near as fast as yours(or overclocked). and getting 80fps most of the time, dips to about 50fps in heavily infested areas.
on max detail @ 1080p.

ready room i can reach 170fps when no players are in not that it counts for much lol

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

17. Might try it... Nov 1, 2012, 00:17 JohnBirshire

I'm starting to get bored with Guild Wars 2, I'm finding PvP to be very repetitive. They only have one PvP game mode, a 16 vs 16 where you fight over three objectives. Need to add a ton more variety very quickly. *I thought WvW would be a blast, but I seem to spend 75% of the time fighting NPC's*

So I'm trying to decide whether to try this, or Chivalry, they both came out at the same time and both seem to be popular. I tried Savage many years ago, was a blast the first week but then it got old with unbalanced teams, incompetent commanders, etc. But those days might be over with Steam, might check this game out.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 23:09 Mordecai Walfish

KTR wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 22:53:
Black Mesa looked and performed much better.

Black Mesa - Source engine developed by a multi-billion dollar corporation, Valve.

Natural Select 2 - Spark engine developed by one guy, Max.

So what you are saying is all true, but the little guys some slack .

Really compared to the performance of many Source mods, like Pirates Vikings and Knights 2 or No More Room In Hell.. this isn't really that bad.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 22:53 KTR

Black Mesa looked and performed much better.

Black Mesa - Source engine developed by a multi-billion dollar corporation, Valve.

Natural Select 2 - Spark engine developed by one guy, Max.

So what you are saying is all true, but give the little guys some slack .

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 03:50.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 22:48 Prez

I've never been too keen on games in which my enjoyment is dependent upon others - I have no control over the caliber (or douchiness) of players that join the games I'm in, lending an often-frustrating hit or miss nature to the experience every time I log in.

That said, I thought the original mod was great, so I will give this a whirl (especially since it was gifted to me by an awesome bluesnewser )

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 21:29 Sepharo

I gifted this to Ant but I bet it doesn't run on his system

Forgot to mention that to him yesterday.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 21:03 PHJF

I'm really not liking aliens having a commander. I never have resources, I never have upgrades, there's never chambers around, abilities like spore and leap have to be fuckin RESEARCHED now...

Used to be you could do very well playing skulk/lerk/fade even on a bad team, but now a lousy commander absolutely hamstrings you. And marines, which are used to bad commanding, can now up and buy shotguns willy nilly! What's a poor skulk without celerity supposed to do?

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 20:40 theyarecomingforyou

I can't even manage 60fps on my system, even with Ambient Occlusion turned off. That's mainly because I'm playing at 2560x1600 and it doesn't support SLI. It's certainly not a very well optimised game. Black Mesa looked and performed much better.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 19:54 bigspender

good commander strategy with a team that follows orders and good team work always beat an individual 1337 player. Which is a good thing because some alien fade players can slaughter a group of unorganised marines

So you don't necessasrily need to be an FPS king to play this game, since its just as much strategy and tactics as anything else. Sure it helps if you can aim, but you can give yourself a huge advanctage by positioning yourself in a better spot of each room - and also there is plenty to do other than shoot

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 17:45 Muscular Beaver

Good thing I just bought a 660.
When I am fed up with GW2, Ill try it.
Hopefully its not patched broken until then, like NS1 was.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 17:17 Mordecai Walfish

40-65 FPS on a GTX480

with Ambient Occlusion off, 50-80

Oh and both with no Antialiasing enabled as I don't like the blurry post process AA routine implemented by this game.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 17:14 ASeven

6.3K players right now, #1 on Top Sellers on Steam for a day already. Early reviews call this one of the truest PC MP experiences in years.

This game is going to be huge and I'm loving every single moment playing in it. They managed to make a brilliant game.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 16:43 KTR

This game is CPU and memory heavy. Try dropping texture quality, disable ambient occlusion, and perhaps disable shadows if you need more FPS.

That said, this game runs a SHIT TON better than early beta stages.

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 16:23 PHJF

Right, performance is definitely bad on my aging gtx460... but it shouldn't be. This ain't Crysis. Think they should have stuck to Source.  

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 16:21 Undocumented Alien

I think I'm getting too old for MP competitive games.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Been enjoying offline games such as T2 and Turn based games such as CIV 5 and XCOM... definitely more my speed these days (41 now).

I remember having a LOT of fun with NS1, but a good commander is NESESSARY to make it an enjoyable experience. I think I'll probably wait a bit for NS2, see how it shakes out. But I wish them well.

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Natural Selection 2 Oct 31, 2012, 16:02 Mangrove

Seems like classic NS, I'll just have to shelve it until I get a new pc

Getting about 20 fps in the fire-fights on an old rig (Geforce 9800, Intel Duo Core 2.8ghz) - Probably wouldn't bother if you have comparable specs.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo