Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes

Take-Two Interactive Reports Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Results, so brace yourself for some numbers: "For its second quarter fiscal 2013, GAAP net revenue was $273.1 million, as compared to $107.0 million for its second quarter fiscal 2012. Non-GAAP net revenue was $288.0 million, as compared to $107.0 million for the year-ago period. GAAP net loss from continuing operations was $12.4 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, as compared to $47.3 million, or $0.57 per diluted share, for the year-ago period. Non-GAAP net income was $10.2 million, or $0.11 per diluted share, as compared to Non-GAAP net loss of $39.4 million, or $0.47 per diluted share, for the year-ago period." The report includes news that Borderlands 2 has sold over five million copies, adding that the role-playing shooter sequel has enjoyed "strong digital sales." Also, the Gearbox Software Website has word on SHiFT code giveaways today in honor of Halloween (thanks nin). Here's word:

Keep an eye on the Gearbox Software Twitter and Borderlands Facebook on October 31, 2012 for SHiFT codes that unlock special spooky character customization skins in Borderlands 2 like the one above!

We'll start rolling out the codes around 10AM CT (What time is that for you?) with more to come throughout the day.

Each code will be active until Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 11:55PM CT (What time is that for you?)

To learn more about SHiFT codes and how to redeem them, visit support.gearboxsoftware.com

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Nov 1, 2012, 14:36 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 14:06:
People that go get codes aren't clicking anything and don't care what is on Twitter and FB. They go get the code and quit the site.

That's what you personally do (and I would too if I cared about the keys enough to do it), unfortunately these days FB and Twitter are quite popular. Besides, the whole point is to get you there and keep following Facebook, Twitter and other sites. Getting people to even go there to get a code is already a big win in their book, essentially free marketing. It's eye balls, attention, clicks, likes, etc. Gearbox said the Shift codes are for marketing, testing and promotional purposes.

So what I do instead is just give myself a code whenever I feel I've earned it in-game, every 5 levels, whatever. No need to worry about anyone doling them out and that way I'm not annoyed at the gold chest in the middle of Sanctuary that doesn't have any way to obtain keys in-game. Works for me anyway

future microtransactions

God I hope not. Selling in-game weapons for a SP/MP game is EA or Blizzard levels of shitty, I hope Gearbox never goes there. They generally seem to have a pretty good focus on providing consumer value so I doubt they would ever do that unless pressured by 2K.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 14:42.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Nov 1, 2012, 14:06 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 09:39:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 22:11:
PHJF wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 16:24:
I'm cool with the codes, but that really strikes me as so bafflingly odd.

They are farming for web site hits.

How so? Twitter and FB don't care about "hits".

Sure they do. Facebook is basically an advertising Like farm at this point and Twitter is based around followers. Get more people there to do those things to spread more interest for the products to others connected to you, that's the whole goal. Gearbox even literally said the shift codes were going to be used for promotional purposes.

People should just load up a trainer and get as many as they feel they deserve, sure beats following that crap IMHO

People that go get codes aren't clicking anything and don't care what is on Twitter and FB. They go get the code and quit the site.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Nov 1, 2012, 14:06 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 09:05:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 02:19:
So... what the hell is the Gearbox SHIFT site, anyway? Besides some sort of nebulous data farming/social whatever nonsense? I've yet to use any of these codes for keys or skins because they require having a Shift account, and the Shift Site has basically zero information.

Those of you who have signed up for Shift, what has happened so far, spam mail? Facebook tomfoolery? Ominous dread?

That's an excellent question. I want to say the part of the eula I scanned mention uploading gameplay experience (not unlike what valve did with episode 2 stats). I've not had any problems with email, and it's not linked to bookface...

I said this before, but I assume they are testing this for future games for micro transactions, etc. We are lucky the stuff is free!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Nov 1, 2012, 09:39 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 22:11:

Sure they do. Facebook is basically an advertising Like farm at this point and Twitter is based around followers. Get more people there to do those things to spread more interest for the products to others connected to you, that's the whole goal. Gearbox even literally said the shift codes were going to be used for promotional purposes.

People should just load up a trainer and get as many as they feel they deserve, sure beats following that crap IMHO

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

26. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Nov 1, 2012, 09:05 nin

So... what the hell is the Gearbox SHIFT site, anyway? Besides some sort of nebulous data farming/social whatever nonsense? I've yet to use any of these codes for keys or skins because they require having a Shift account, and the Shift Site has basically zero information.

Those of you who have signed up for Shift, what has happened so far, spam mail? Facebook tomfoolery? Ominous dread?

That's an excellent question. I want to say the part of the eula I scanned mention uploading gameplay experience (not unlike what valve did with episode 2 stats). I've not had any problems with email, and it's not linked to bookface...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Nov 1, 2012, 08:58 Creston

I'm pretty sure there were sections that were pre-ticked that said "Yes, please spam my mailbox with offers from interested third parties!" during the signup. I unticked everything, and honestly have received zero spam from them.

Then again, once I figured out how to just create golden keys at will, the whole point of shift kinda became irrelevant.

As for the skins, eh. At first I thought it'd be cool to have new skins, but these aren't skins, they're just color schemes. I've unlocked like a hundred of them across all four characters, and beside each character having basically the exact same unlocks, the difference they make to your character's looks are so minimal that there's really no point in even bothering.

The heads at least make them actively look different, but the uniform colors are just fucking stupid.

Creston

24. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Nov 1, 2012, 02:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

23. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 22:22 Prez

PHJF wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 22:14:
How else would you explain it?

What's the point in having codes AT ALL? Why can't logging into the fucking game just give you the skins? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!?

Everyone wants their game being talked about in social media. That would be the obvious reason for this whole runaround to my mind.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 22:14 PHJF

How else would you explain it?

What's the point in having codes AT ALL? Why can't logging into the fucking game just give you the skins? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN!?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 22:12 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 18:32:
Since I play alone, the skin customizations are pretty pointless for me. If the loot codes they have been giving out previously yielded an Orange, I might be using some since I have only come across 3 of these rarest of items in the ~140 hours I've played. I prefer to find the loot in-game myself.

I still can't stop playing this game. I was addicted to the first one for a while too, but never this bad. I hope at least a million of those 5mil were on PC.

Yup. Over 100 hours over 4 chars. Haven't played Siren yet - doesn't fit my playstyle.

20. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 22:11 xXBatmanXx

19. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 19:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Gaige skin is the last one I think:

Unlock the Mechromancer's spooky "Stinger Missile" customization in Borderlands 2 with the below SHiFT code!

PC SHiFT Code: W3WBJ-C6ZB5-C6JJT-33JJB-JSFX6
Xbox 360 SHiFT Code: WTKTJ-696S5-R9RB6-5RTT3-BTS3H
PlayStation 3 SHiFT Code: CJWTB-FZK5T-TKKWT-ZJ5B3-X56B9

Should probably also note that all these codes will be active until Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 11:55PM CT

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 19:43 PHJF

Maybe now you can try playing *with* people! I have only the commando left to start up.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 18:59 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 17:22:
I find the key thing to be a waste of time and use a trainer to keep track of them. At LEAST they could do is patch in the ability to cut and paste for the pc.

Which trainer do you use? I'm tired of the key thing too. The last big BL2 thread had mentioned a few but I can't remember them now.

16. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 18:32 Prez

Since I play alone, the skin customizations are pretty pointless for me. If the loot codes they have been giving out previously yielded an Orange, I might be using some since I have only come across 3 of these rarest of items in the ~140 hours I've played. I prefer to find the loot in-game myself.

I still can't stop playing this game. I was addicted to the first one for a while too, but never this bad. I hope at least a million of those 5mil were on PC.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 18:20 nin

Gocows wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 18:16:
I find the key thing to be a waste of time and use a trainer to keep track of them. At LEAST they could do is patch in the ability to cut and paste for the pc.

Friend of mine had this exact problem, while I never did. Apparently he kept including a hardcoded linebreak at the end.

Just copy/paste it into a txt or something, and copy it again from there. And make sure you dont copy paste more or less than the actual code. Any extra space or linebreak at either end apparently fucks it up.

Yeah, anything before/after the code will fuck it up...frustrating.

14. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 18:18 nin

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 17:05:
Zero skin is up:

Unlock Zer0’s spooky "Hornet's Nest" customization in Borderlands 2 with the below SHiFT code!

PC SHiFT Code: 5J5JB-B9S35-W6J33-3BJBT-33JSF
Xbox 360 SHiFT Code: 5J53B-J96HW-F9FBX-CFTT3-FTFXS
PlayStation 3 SHiFT Code: KBKB3-J3R5J-BKCKT-H3W33-9F56C

I'd say he got the best one! Thanks!

13. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 18:16 Gocows

Friend of mine had this exact problem, while I never did. Apparently he kept including a hardcoded linebreak at the end.

Just copy/paste it into a txt or something, and copy it again from there. And make sure you dont copy paste more or less than the actual code. Any extra space or linebreak at either end apparently fucks it up.

12. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 18:10 SimplyMonk

All I want is a way to consume the codes when I'm at work via a website. Keep on missing these things and then I forget about them when I get home.  

11. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 17:32 Draugr

Copy+Paste works just fine.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo