Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Linux Beta Applications

A Valve Linux Beta Survey is online, offering "experienced Linux users" the possibility of being invited to beta test the Linux Steam Client. A report on opensource.com, says Valve is only looking for 1,000 spots, so apologies if the delay in reporting this caused by the hurricane means this is already full. Thanks Ant via Linux Today.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Nov 2, 2012, 12:52 Waiko

Stay on target people! After all, this is about games reaching more people/platforms!

Wooo Valve! <3

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Nov 1, 2012, 15:54 Beamer

It's fun to look at captain red font's posting history.

He accuses others of being a troll, but about 40% of his posts are anti-Microsoft. No context, just "Ballmer is an idiot" or "people still use IE? :-coolglasses-: "

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Nov 1, 2012, 15:46 Burrito of Peace

SirKnight wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 17:10:
Too bad I can't run this on my old SGI O2 with IRIX 6. I really dig the IRIX desktop.

You mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IRIX_desktop.png ?

I'm honestly not trolling but that looks like a weird mashup between OS 9 and GEM.

8. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Nov 1, 2012, 09:45 Verno

kookaveetsa wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 20:31:
So in other words, you don't even use linux, you're just being an M$ troll. Pirate

You just said M$ on a forum and essentially proved his point for him.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

7. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 21:54 Panickd

kookaveetsa wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 20:31:
So in other words, you don't even use linux, you're just being an M$ troll. Pirate

Panickd wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 18:39:
I'd be shocked if they aren't already inundated with more signups than they can count. I can't wait for the "it doesn't work with open source drivers" bug reports to start hitting their lists. It'll be about then when they realize why porting anything commercial to Linux is a colossal pain in the ass. The zealots are always keen to ruin it for everyone.

I'll just wait for the regular release, which in Valve time could be anytime between tomorrow and several years from now.

Been using Linux in a variety of forms since 98. But your tre kool what with your "M$" and all... and you accuse me of trolling.

6. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 20:31 kookaveetsa

Panickd wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 18:39:
I'd be shocked if they aren't already inundated with more signups than they can count. I can't wait for the "it doesn't work with open source drivers" bug reports to start hitting their lists. It'll be about then when they realize why porting anything commercial to Linux is a colossal pain in the ass. The zealots are always keen to ruin it for everyone.

I'll just wait for the regular release, which in Valve time could be anytime between tomorrow and several years from now.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

5. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 18:39 Panickd

4. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 18:28 yuastnav

Four years ago I would have signed up without the hint of a second thought.
Don't have the time to play (many) videogames nowadays. Shame.

3. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 17:10 SirKnight

My setup is one of the ideal configs Valve is talking about so hopefully I'll get in.

Too bad I can't run this on my old SGI O2 with IRIX 6. I really dig the IRIX desktop.

2. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 17:08 Waiko

Me! but I don't think they'll select me; They're targeting Ubuntu (and the standard WM) and high-res screens and discrete graphics cards. Doesn't bode well for a last-gen i5 laptop running Archlinux regardless of its actual capabilities :/  

1. Re: Steam Linux Beta Applications Oct 31, 2012, 16:54 John

So who's signing up for this?  
This space is available for rent

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo