Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well I'm sorry to say the BlueTower is black thanks to Sandy. We lost power overnight, and I don't have an estimate of when to expect it to return, though historically they tend to be pretty quick at restoring electricity after outages here. Otherwise we are fine, and hope all the rest of you are equally safe. I don't picture being able to update the site through my phone, so I'm afraid I'm offline for the time being. Apologies, hopefully this will all be sorted soon enough.

View
187 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

147. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:16 Tehol

may be KOTOR 3 eh? minus bioware.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

146. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:06 Verno

Disney is a pretty competent IP holder and they don't just do kiddie stuff, looking forward to seeing what they will do with the various LucasArts IP. Could this mean another Grim Fandango?  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

145. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 08:42 eRe4s3r

Mhh, that are good points. Indeed it would make sense if he offered and wanted to make sure it's bought by Disney.

But as for games.. Disney doesn't exactly have any "able" development houses. Only thing I can think of with Disney and gaming is "super crappy movie tie ins" .. but hey, you never know what the times bring, maybe Disney buys EA..... ? Maybe they produce a dozen super AAA hit games the coming decade.. or maybe not.

But to me, imminent impact is Episode 7 and honestly.. if Lucas isn't directing it, I am already willing to give it a chance just by that merit alone...

And he was a shrewd business men so maybe this is the best thing that could ever happen to the whole ILM/Lucasarts/Star-Wars stuff.

144. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 08:34 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 08:00:
So to me, that guy is irrelevant, he is the literal reason Star Wars sold for only $2b (the other $2b were Disney stocks), when Pixar sold for 7b... Pixar, is worth more than Indiana Jones, ILM and Star-Wars together. That is how run down and ruined this once, greatest of all franchises, is.
Thats a great point. $4b seems low for everything. I wonder if lucas had to LOWER his price to make sure disney bought it. In that linked youtube interview he talked about how he wanted to make sure it went to someone who could grow it for a long time to come, and protect it too. I wonder if lucas was the one who went to disney to offer it up.

I also wonder if disney will do anything with any of the other lucasarts IP like day of the tentacle, full throttle, grim fandango... and of course xwing/tie fighter.

143. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 08:00 eRe4s3r

Considering George Lucas won't be directing the next "episode" it can only be better than Episode 4, 5, 6.. so I am actually glad he doesn't own it anymore. HE is the reason of this CGI overload that infected star wars. HE is the reason of Jar Jar Binks existence. So to me, that guy is irrelevant, he is the literal reason Star Wars sold for only $2b (the other $2b were Disney stocks), when Pixar sold for 7b... Pixar, is worth more than Indiana Jones, ILM and Star-Wars together. That is how run down and ruined this once, greatest of all franchises, is.

An Episode 7 without Lucas is one I will judge based on its merits when it's out with a blank slate.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2012, 08:11.

142. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 04:24 Draugr

El Pit wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:40:
Draugr wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:29:
Hah yeah, Disney acquiring the star wars franchise will undoubtedly shift it to a more 'adult-oriented' tone..
I think the best you could hope for is basically "Pirates of The Caribbean" in space. Something along those lines, anyway.
We'll see. Buena Vista (Disney) is also behind movies like e.g. Sixth Sense, Face/Off, Prestige (directed by Chris Nolan), Apocalypto... They're not only into kid's movies.

You also forgot to mention that it owns Mirimax, so technically you could count pulp fiction among other things on that list, but that is beside the point which I (poorly) was trying to make.
While they could do that with the franchise, I doubt they bought it to do so, so the chances it's handed off to one of their other production companies for something interesting to happen to it, I see as slim to nil.
Disney is going to want to keep it as kid oriented as it is now for the same reason george lucas did, Money. Disney also has a lot of attractions based in Star Wars, and obviously they want people to attend those so with that in mind do you really see it taking that path?

I'm not saying it HAS to be this way, I just find it unlikely that it will go another way. I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised though.

141. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 02:11 Fantaz

I want to replay System Shock 2 this halloween. Or should I finally install and try Bioshock 2?  

140. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 02:04 Prez

Cutter wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 00:18:
Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 22:16:
Well, since we're talking campfires, let's talk ghost stories (what's a campfire without some ghost stories?). Ghost stories as in horror movies that is. In the spirit of Halloween it is a yearly tradition for me to watch a bunch of horror movies, both old and new. Last night I watched "Absentia" on Netflix, and despite its low budget I thought it was a damn fine movie. The ending credits said that the movie was a kickstarter project and listed all of the names of the biggest donors in the credits. I thought that was pretty neat.

Just watched Silent Hill agian recently as I have it on Bluray. Also Event Horizon which is a pretty fucking creepy flick. And I caught Rob Zombie's Halloween again recently too - which I actually like more than the original. I've never found the slasher horror flicks scary at all.

Event Horizon creeped the hell out of me - it gets a watching every year almost. I agree with you on R.Z.'s Halloween - it's practically sacrilege to say but I too thought his was even better than the original. And Silent Hill was easily the best movie videogame adaptation ever. Brutal!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

139. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 01:40 El Pit

Draugr wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:29:
Hah yeah, Disney acquiring the star wars franchise will undoubtedly shift it to a more 'adult-oriented' tone..
I think the best you could hope for is basically "Pirates of The Caribbean" in space. Something along those lines, anyway.
We'll see. Buena Vista (Disney) is also behind movies like e.g. Sixth Sense, Face/Off, Prestige (directed by Chris Nolan), Apocalypto... They're not only into kid's movies.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

138. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 01:29 Draugr

El Pit wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:16:
My thoughts as a Star Wars fan since 1979 (and until 1999! ): Dear Disney, it's great that you bought one of the greatest franchises ever. Now, you DO know that Chris Nolan is finished with the Batman movies and is THE guy to go to for a more adult-oriented episode VII, right? And about Joss Whedon: No. I don't want a colorful, funny, action movie. I want more dark drama in Star Wars, like e.g. the confrontation of Vader and Luke in The Empire Strikes Back. That's the way Disney should go with Star Wars. Alxo interesting directors: Alex Proyas (I, Robot and Dark City and The Crow) and David Fincher (Fight Club, The Game, Se7en). Don't go for less, let each of them or Nolan alone direct the next three episodes. You can't go wrong with these guys.

137. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 01:16 El Pit

My thoughts as a Star Wars fan since 1979 (and until 1999! ): Dear Disney, it's great that you bought one of the greatest franchises ever. Now, you DO know that Chris Nolan is finished with the Batman movies and is THE guy to go to for a more adult-oriented episode VII, right? And about Joss Whedon: No. I don't want a colorful, funny, action movie. I want more dark drama in Star Wars, like e.g. the confrontation of Vader and Luke in The Empire Strikes Back. That's the way Disney should go with Star Wars. Alxo interesting directors: Alex Proyas (I, Robot and Dark City and The Crow) and David Fincher (Fight Club, The Game, Se7en). Don't go for less, let each of them or Nolan alone direct the next three episodes. You can't go wrong with these guys.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

136. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 00:35 Rigs

Dev wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 23:50:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 22:55:
I know it's too much to ask, but really what's the chances of EP7 actually being about Thrawn?
O M G. If it were! That trilogy were THE BEST star wars books ever written. The story was incredible. That trilogy got me into buying basically ever star wars book that ever came out... until the last few years when they started killing off major characters, blowing up the galaxy, having his kids turn dark and kill each other, etc.

You know, I was just thinking about this very thing the other day...I got the feeling that they had just run out of ideas that far out from the original story. I mean, how many times can the galaxy be nearly obliterated? And how many times can you re-form a government and be taken seriously? How many different republics and 'alliances' have there been now? 4 or 5? And how they've nearly killed almost all of the 'next gen' of characters. Whatever happened to growing old? Hell, if Obi-Wan had been around for the extended universe, he probably wouldn't have made it past 40...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

135. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 00:24 Rigs

eDave wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 20:14:
Rigs wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 17:41:
Did I hear 'redesign'? I'm still waiting for those front page color gradients...*arms folded, taps foot*

Can't believe old school black is so un-preferred...

Well, it has been a while since the site was all black, so newer visitors might not even realize that it was that way before. I still think the Blue->Black gradient is the most appealing...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2012, 00:30.

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

134. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 00:18 Cutter

Well, since we're talking campfires, let's talk ghost stories (what's a campfire without some ghost stories?). Ghost stories as in horror movies that is. In the spirit of Halloween it is a yearly tradition for me to watch a bunch of horror movies, both old and new. Last night I watched "Absentia" on Netflix, and despite its low budget I thought it was a damn fine movie. The ending credits said that the movie was a kickstarter project and listed all of the names of the biggest donors in the credits. I thought that was pretty neat.

Just watched Silent Hill agian recently as I have it on Bluray. Also Event Horizon which is a pretty fucking creepy flick. And I caught Rob Zombie's Halloween again recently too - which I actually like more than the original. I've never found the slasher horror flicks scary at all.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

133. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 00:15 Cutter

Dev wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 23:50:
I know it's too much to ask, but really what's the chances of EP7 actually being about Thrawn?
O M G. If it were! That trilogy were THE BEST star wars books ever written. The story was incredible. That trilogy got me into buying basically ever star wars book that ever came out... until the last few years when they started killing off major characters, blowing up the galaxy, having his kids turn dark and kill each other, etc.

Agreed. Thrawn is the most interesting character in the SW universe. Doing his trilogy would be effing awesome.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

132. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 00:14 Silicon Avatar

There is a film called Marebito that is pretty good. It seems low budget and you probably have to read subtitles (I can't remember now) but I enjoyed it. I think it is still on Netflix but maybe only as a DVD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marebito_(film)

131. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 23:50 Dev

130. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 23:27 Sepharo

Oh man... 129 posts.

Just summarize it for me, thanks.

All Sandy and Star Wars right?

129. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 23:12 nin

Since we only got one post tonight, I wonder if Blue lost power again.

For BL2 fans, something to keep an eye out for tomorrow. The codes will be good until Sunday.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

128. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 23:01 cappy

Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 21:25:
Trevellian wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 17:52:
it's an INFINITELY good thing for Star Wars fans that he will no longer be involved ever again.

Note that Lucas will still be a consultant.

Creston

I'm holding out for "Howard the Duck 2: Electric Boogaloo"

187 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo