Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well I'm sorry to say the BlueTower is black thanks to Sandy. We lost power overnight, and I don't have an estimate of when to expect it to return, though historically they tend to be pretty quick at restoring electricity after outages here. Otherwise we are fine, and hope all the rest of you are equally safe. I don't picture being able to update the site through my phone, so I'm afraid I'm offline for the time being. Apologies, hopefully this will all be sorted soon enough.

View
187 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

167. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:30 Jivaro

They bought it all. George is retired, all companies sold.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

166. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 briktal

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 11:19:
nin wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 11:00:
They. Bought. Everything.

It doesn't mention anything other than Star Wars games, though. There's no mention of all other Lucasgames properties. It says they bought Lucasfilm and its technology subsidiaries "We’re hearing that the deal also includes Lucasfilm’s technology companies – LucasArts, Industrial Light + Magic and Skywalker Sound"

None of those things had anything to do with the games division.

It'd be cool if they did get everything, but Lucas had his shit set up in an extremely complex way. There were multiple companies all reporting to the parent company (LucasArts), that were all separate.

I guess we'll found out in the upcoming days.

Creston

LucasArts IS the games division.

165. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:28 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 11:19:

It doesn't mention anything other than Star Wars games, though. There's no mention of all other Lucasgames properties. It says they bought Lucasfilm and its technology subsidiaries "We’re hearing that the deal also includes Lucasfilm’s technology companies – LucasArts, Industrial Light + Magic and Skywalker Sound"

It'd be cool if they did get everything, but Lucas had his shit set up in an extremely complex way. There were multiple companies all reporting to the parent company (LucasArts), that were all separate.

Creston

"We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

164. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:22 Creston

Speaking of Star Wars, Bioware still doesn't fucking get it.

Creston

163. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:19 Creston

Creston

162. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:14 Capella

Glad to hear everyone is safe at the Blue Tower!  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

161. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:13 InBlack

Beat me to it nin.

In any case it cant get much worse than the total NONPRODUCTION of any games by the Lucasarts games division...

I have a nifty blue line!

160. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 11:00 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 10:59:
nin wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 10:53:
I believe Disney only bought Lucasfilm, and the Expanded Universe is part of a different LucasArts division.

They bought everything, including ILM, Skywalker Sound, Lucasarts, and Indiana Jones.

When George Lucas sells out, he sells out big.

But that's all part of Lucasfilm. I have no idea if the games division is part of that? (or, for that matter, the book publishing part.)

Creston

159. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:59 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 10:53:
I believe Disney only bought Lucasfilm, and the Expanded Universe is part of a different LucasArts division.

They bought everything, including ILM, Skywalker Sound, Lucasarts, and Indiana Jones.

But that's all part of Lucasfilm. I have no idea if the games division is part of that? (or, for that matter, the book publishing part.)

Creston

158. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:06:
Disney is a pretty competent IP holder and they don't just do kiddie stuff, looking forward to seeing what they will do with the various LucasArts IP. Could this mean another Grim Fandango?

I don't know that they got Lucas games? I think they just bought Lucasfilm.

Creston

157. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:55 Creston

Draugr wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:29:
Hah yeah, Disney acquiring the star wars franchise will undoubtedly shift it to a more 'adult-oriented' tone..
I think the best you could hope for is basically "Pirates of The Caribbean" in space. Something along those lines, anyway.

Since that was what the original Star Wars was, I'd be perfectly happy with Pirates of the Caribbean in space.

Creston

156. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:53 nin

155. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:52 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 22:55:
nin wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 22:22:

EPISODE 7: DA RISE-A OF DA JAR-JAR

Too soon?

The rise of Darth Ooohoo-mesa-so-sparkly!

I know it's too much to ask, but really what's the chances of EP7 actually being about Thrawn?

Also, that would make way too much sense.

(Movies about the Thrawn books would be AWESOME.)

Our luck knowing it'll be about the fucking Yuuzhan Vong.

Creston

154. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:26 sauron

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:18:
Tehol wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:16:
may be KOTOR 3 eh? minus bioware.

Hell, let's aim for the sky and ask for TIE Fighter 2...

Seconded. Dear God yes.

Kittens!

153. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:13 Beamer

Verno wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:06:
Disney is a pretty competent IP holder and they don't just do kiddie stuff, looking forward to seeing what they will do with the various LucasArts IP. Could this mean another Grim Fandango?

No, Disney is worse about gaming than LucasArts was.
Hopefully they sell some of the back catalog they have no intention of using. DOTT seems like something they should be willing to part with. Or maybe we'll have a Tentacle in the next Kingdom Hearts?

But Disney has done well with the Marvel films, so I don't think there should be reason to be concerned with Star Wars. Even if they screw it up, they can't any worse than Lucas did, right? Except, maybe, more milking.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

152. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:06 InBlack

nin wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:18:

Hell, let's aim for the sky and ask for TIE Fighter 2 and original trilogy unaltered on blu! It can't get worse than what it was, right?

If they announced Tie Fighter 2 and put say Volition on it....omg omg I just jizzed my pants and its only fantasyllala land....

I have a nifty blue line!

151. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:51 Prez

Cutter wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 09:33:
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Halloween Trailer!

Haha, nin is going to play this and poop his pants!

I'll be replaying Amnesia this weekend. I haven't in a while so it should scare the pants off me again. The sequel is an insta-buy even though frankly I don't know much about it. I should break out "Clive Barker's Undying" too; I remember that being creepy and atmospheric.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

150. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:40 PHJF

That's because Pixar have actual, tangible talent. All they basically got buying Lucasfilm (besides IPs) was ILM, and ILM hasn't done anything in years that couldn't be done as well by anyone else.

And Star Wars simply isn't what it used to be anymore. We're all grown up and disinterested enough not to blindly throw money at the name, and kids now are too young for it (a movie like EpIII was NOT going to turn little kids into lifelong fans).

Buying Star Wars this late in the game is a risk, and the (relatively) low price reflects that.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

149. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:33 Cutter

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Halloween Trailer!

Haha, nin is going to play this and poop his pants!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

148. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:18 nin

Hell, let's aim for the sky and ask for TIE Fighter 2 and original trilogy unaltered on blu! It can't get worse than what it was, right?

187 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo