Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on Linux Plans

Ubuntu Vibes quotes (or paraphrases) Valve's Drew Bliss speaking at a Ubuntu Developer Summit in Denmark praising Linux as being amore viable gaming platform that Microsoft's just-released Windows 8. They summarize what they learned about Valve's Linux plans going forward in handy bulleted form:

• Steam client is running nicely on Ubuntu and many developers have approached them with good game products.
  • Cooperation with Canonical has been good.
  • Ubuntu is preferred platform as it has a large user base and good community support with a strong company like Canonical behind it.
  • Linux has everything they need: good OpenGL, pulseaudio, OpenAL and input support.
  • New Source engine games will be available for Linux.
  • No firm time frame for Steam Linux release, but soon.
  • Copy protection is up to the game publishers.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

16. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 00:24 Kitkoan

TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 23:52:
DDI wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:55:
But in the end, it's only a matter of time before Valve just releases some steam box that runs a closed Linux distro, completing the circle of hypocrisy.

No, the GPL is specifically designed to prevent this.

May I show you OSX and iOS?

While I'm not saying that Valve will make a closed Linux box, claiming that something like the GPL will prevent them is very naive. Apple took the open Mach Kernel and BSD codes and locked them down, only keep as much open as they legally had to.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 00:11 Beelzebud

No one wants to deal with that bullshit to get a decent looking OS. As soon as Linux starts copying Windows and MacOS, you know proven desktop interfaces, instead of this fractured scattered crap, it might be marginally successful.

But in the end, it's only a matter of time before Valve just releases some steam box that runs a closed Linux distro, completing the circle of hypocrisy.

This is what is sounds like when someone talks out of their ass with no knowledge of what they're talking about.

14. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 00:00 mag

No one wants to deal with that bullshit to get a decent looking OS. As soon as Linux starts copying Windows and MacOS, you know proven desktop interfaces, instead of this fractured scattered crap, it might be marginally successful.

...What bullshit? Installing an operating system and then clicking some checkboxes? Like you do for Windows? If you want something that works similarly to Windows, just download the KDE-variant of Ubuntu (Kubuntu).

13. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 23:52 TheVocalMinority

The stupid really seems to have come to visit this topic in a big way!

No one wants to deal with that bullshit to get a decent looking OS.

KDE or gnome is usually the default desktop for a distro or can be installed from the package manager. As difficult as installing a steam game AFAIK.

As soon as Linux starts copying Windows and MacOS, you know proven desktop interfaces, instead of this fractured scattered crap, it might be marginally successful.

Linux desktops do tend to be copies, to some extent, of the Windows and Mac desktops. In fact a more valid criticism is the lack of innovation displayed by the more polished desktops. And are you trying to say having a choice is bad???

No, the GPL is specifically designed to prevent this. There may be closed software as part of the distro but any GPL software such as the Linux kernel will remain open.

It would be incredibly naive to think this is not about the windows app store. Gabe can see where that is heading as Valve is playing the exact same game. This is the hypocrisy - Steam IS a walled garden! Of course it's not as insidious as it doesn't constitute the entirety of the OS but once within the system it's pretty much the same thing.

And I'm still calling HL3 as a Linux exclusive. The fanboy tears will be glorious.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

12. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 23:40 webname

STEAM = DRM ,games dont run without steam, its pure and simply another DRM layer funneling through a wee valve :). DRM parasites they be  

11. Re: Valve on Linxu Plans Oct 29, 2012, 22:41 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 22:02:
We already went over this when people were calling Notch's stance hypocritical. The distinction here is that Apple's platform has been closed whereas Microsoft's has not. The fear is that Microsoft is heading down the same path.

closed platform -> still closed platform ... "meh"
open platform -> closed platform ... "bad for gaming"

And though Gabe has made those critical comments, I don't consider this Steam on Linux to be reeking of Gabe thumbing his nose. It's smart business regardless of what Microsoft is doing, he's expanding the market.

There's another reason as well. OSX users are a tiny fraction of Steam's millions. The vast majority are on Windows. So, supporting a walled garden like Apple is low risk. If something changes and Steam is blocked, no great loss. But for MS to go walled represents and existential threat to Valve.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

10. Re: Crossover Oct 29, 2012, 22:19 Kitkoan

Shok wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:25:
If anyone wants to try linux gaming I got an email from Codeweavers that they are giving away their Crossover product for free on Halloween.

Thank you very much

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

9. Re: Valve on Linxu Plans Oct 29, 2012, 22:02 Sepharo

Doombringer wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:14:
This reeks of Gabe thumbing his nose at Microsoft simply because he can, and his subordinates trumpeting the same message. Yet, has Valve done the same for Apple? iOS is just as closed as Windows RT in terms of app development, but I haven't heard Gabe rallying the troops against Cupertino? Is he still OK with Sony and the Playstation, but hating on XBox? This guy needs to learn a little about consistency and hypocrisy. A closed platform is a closed platform, a walled garden is a walled garden.

Unless Windows 8 somehow patches out its classic Desktop environment, I can't see it being omg-horribly-detrimental to gaming.

We already went over this when people were calling Notch's stance hypocritical. The distinction here is that Apple's platform has been closed whereas Microsoft's has not. The fear is that Microsoft is heading down the same path.

closed platform -> still closed platform ... "meh"
open platform -> closed platform ... "bad for gaming"

And though Gabe has made those critical comments, I don't consider this Steam on Linux to be reeking of Gabe thumbing his nose. It's smart business regardless of what Microsoft is doing, he's expanding the market.

8. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 22:02 Cutter

Well you'd think it would be in every dev and publishers interest to support Linux over MS simply because they don't have to pay any sort of fee on the Linux side. And how many people use Windows simply for the gaming - which MS has been ignoring for years anyway. If they can swing it in a meaningful way I'll get behind it.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 21:55 DDI

6. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 21:44 mag

Riker wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:01:
I'm curious to see where it goes. For now, Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly for me to care about it.

Linux's ugliness or lack-thereof is entirely up to you. Install the latest KDE or GNOME with compositing and outbling the blingiest MacOS POS. Or install xfce/lxde/fluxbox for something more minimalist and fast.

5. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 21:35 DukeFNukem

Ummm....right....'cause Windows 8 is so beautiful and user-friendly. Okay then.

For those of us who aren't blind fanboys of Microsoft's shitty new OS, this is very promising news. Linux may be showing up on a desktop near me sometime soon. Or I'll just keep using Windows 7 until hell freezes over. Either way, it's all good.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

4. Crossover Oct 29, 2012, 21:25 Shok

If anyone wants to try linux gaming I got an email from Codeweavers that they are giving away their Crossover product for free on Halloween.  

3. Valve on Linxu Plans Oct 29, 2012, 21:14 Doombringer

This reeks of Gabe thumbing his nose at Microsoft simply because he can, and his subordinates trumpeting the same message. Yet, has Valve done the same for Apple? iOS is just as closed as Windows RT in terms of app development, but I haven't heard Gabe rallying the troops against Cupertino? Is he still OK with Sony and the Playstation, but hating on XBox? This guy needs to learn a little about consistency and hypocrisy. A closed platform is a closed platform, a walled garden is a walled garden.

Unless Windows 8 somehow patches out its classic Desktop environment, I can't see it being omg-horribly-detrimental to gaming.

2. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 21:01 Riker

I'm curious to see where it goes. For now, Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly for me to care about it.  

1. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 29, 2012, 20:38 jdreyer

Wow, they're really going through with it. Good for them. I had an Ubuntu machine a while back. Time to create another. I should be able to play a lot of games with an E6600 and 460 GT.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo