Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on Linux Plans

Ubuntu Vibes quotes (or paraphrases) Valve's Drew Bliss speaking at a Ubuntu Developer Summit in Denmark praising Linux as being amore viable gaming platform that Microsoft's just-released Windows 8. They summarize what they learned about Valve's Linux plans going forward in handy bulleted form:

• Steam client is running nicely on Ubuntu and many developers have approached them with good game products.
  • Cooperation with Canonical has been good.
  • Ubuntu is preferred platform as it has a large user base and good community support with a strong company like Canonical behind it.
  • Linux has everything they need: good OpenGL, pulseaudio, OpenAL and input support.
  • New Source engine games will be available for Linux.
  • No firm time frame for Steam Linux release, but soon.
  • Copy protection is up to the game publishers.

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

36. Re: Valve on Linxu Plans Oct 30, 2012, 09:49 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:07:
Win8 puts Metro and MS App Store in your face, and for Metro Apps there is only the MS App Store.

OSX does not give you the ability to run IOS apps nor does it try to force you to use IOS Apps, and the OSX App Store can be turned off (As far as a sole installation source).

So, IOS and RT (Formerly Windows CE) themselves, have nothing to do with it. It's Windows 8 and Surface Pro (Which runs full Windows 8, not RT)... that are trying to get you to switch to Metro Apps instead of regular thick client Windows Desktop Apps.

Indeed. It strikes me as a bit naive that people think Win32/Desktop is untouchable due to enterprise legacy. Look at the mobile space in the past five years for an idea of how quickly things can change from underneath you. Also the inability to sideload Metro apps speaks volumes to me.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Valve on Linxu Plans Oct 30, 2012, 09:07 wtf_man

Doombringer wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:14:
This reeks of Gabe thumbing his nose at Microsoft simply because he can, and his subordinates trumpeting the same message. Yet, has Valve done the same for Apple? iOS is just as closed as Windows RT in terms of app development, but I haven't heard Gabe rallying the troops against Cupertino? Is he still OK with Sony and the Playstation, but hating on XBox? This guy needs to learn a little about consistency and hypocrisy. A closed platform is a closed platform, a walled garden is a walled garden.

Unless Windows 8 somehow patches out its classic Desktop environment, I can't see it being omg-horribly-detrimental to gaming.

Win8 puts Metro and MS App Store in your face, and for Metro Apps there is only the MS App Store.

OSX does not give you the ability to run IOS apps nor does it try to force you to use IOS Apps, and the OSX App Store can be turned off (As far as a sole installation source).

So, IOS and RT (Formerly Windows CE) themselves, have nothing to do with it. It's Windows 8 and Surface Pro (Which runs full Windows 8, not RT)... that are trying to get you to switch to Metro Apps instead of regular thick client Windows Desktop Apps.

34. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 08:55 Creston

TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 23:52:
And I'm still calling HL3 as a Linux exclusive. The fanboy tears will be glorious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You win the funny quote of the day award. Yes, Valve is going to release their next flagship product in such a way that it ignores its current 40 million customer base, and instead release it in such a way that everyone has to install a new fucking OS to be able to play it.

Steam on Linux may get back big at some point, but please remain serious.

Edit : duh.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2012, 10:53.

33. Re: Valve on Linxu Plans Oct 30, 2012, 08:53 Creston

Doombringer wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:14:
This reeks of Gabe thumbing his nose at Microsoft simply because he can, and his subordinates trumpeting the same message. Yet, has Valve done the same for Apple? iOS is just as closed as Windows RT in terms of app development, but I haven't heard Gabe rallying the troops against Cupertino?

Yeah, you're right. I mean, Valve has done so much business on iOS, I can see them being really worried about losing all that money!

Creston

32. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 08:53 Verno

John wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 08:43:
GayBlade wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 07:00:
I think this whole Windows 8 is bad for gaming is much ado about nothing IMHO.
I was reading up on it some and it sounds like Win8 has better memory and CPU management which could be good. Can anything be done about the home screen with all the live 'apps' running on it though?

I was reading an article at Ars the other day and got a different impression, I thought the memory and CPU management improvements are mainly related to Metro apps and how they interact with each other. Due to process suspension, sandboxing and strict WinRT guidelines very few resources are allowed to be allocated for "live" background updates and only in specific circumstances. There are no real reasons for gamers to upgrade to Windows 8. I've certainly seen no difference on a test box between it and Windows 7.

The whole "Windows 8 is bad for gaming" thing mainly refers to the Zynga-ization of gaming in the casual space. If you have a look at the games available on there right now it's mostly casual fare aimed at a casual crowd. Microsoft having control of a platform is also a dubious thing, they haven't exactly instilled confidence with their often heavy handed treatment of the Xbox and its various marketplaces.

I have no opposition to Linux per se, I just don't see the average Johnny FPS being able to make that transition even with something like Ubuntu or Mint. I would be fairly comfortable as a result of using both FreeBSD and Linux in a work environment but I won't deceive myself that normal users won't have problems.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

31. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 08:51 Creston

New Source engine games will be available for Linux.

So add at least another year or so for HL3...

Creston

30. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 08:43 John

GayBlade wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 07:00:
I was reading up on it some and it sounds like Win8 has better memory and CPU management which could be good. Can anything be done about the home screen with all the live 'apps' running on it though?

This space is available for rent

29. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 07:24 Wintermute

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 00:43:
Last I knew, the BSD is GPL.
You've been told that you are wrong and yet you insist on pulling facts out of your ass?
The GPL is not the same as the BSD, and that is why Apple went with the BSD one. It suited them better.

28. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 07:00 GayBlade

While I am happy Linux users are getting some gaming love, I have to say, I installed Windows 8 over the weekend and I love it. Steam runs great on it (starts and ends faster than in my Windows 7 build) and all my games run perfectly.

In other news, without any extra virus or spam filtering software, Windows 8 has kept my machine clean even using IE10.

Cheers!

27. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 06:03 Cutter

InBlack wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 05:42:
I will gladly make the switch to Linux if a Steam Client is released for it AND (this is a pretty BIG and) games come out which actually natively work on Linux.

Because if EA, Activision and a few other big name publishers continue to develop games exclusively for Windows (read DirectX) Valve is fucked no matter how hard they try to support Linux.

Gabe/Steam could easily fund that initiative themselves. Just make every game going forward on Steam Linux compatible.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

26. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 05:47 yuastnav

Riker wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:01:
I'm curious to see where it goes. For now, Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly for me to care about it.

Haha I think the same thing about Windows. Every time I have to solve some kind of problem (which happens with an increasing rate) I think to myself "How can anyone properly use this? This is usability hell."
I never really understood that argument and I've been using Windows twice as long as Debian.

25. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 05:42 InBlack

I will gladly make the switch to Linux if a Steam Client is released for it AND (this is a pretty BIG and) games come out which actually natively work on Linux.

Because if EA, Activision and a few other big name publishers continue to develop games exclusively for Windows (read DirectX) Valve is fucked no matter how hard they try to support Linux.

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 04:49 coldcut

And I'm still calling HL3 as a Linux exclusive. The fanboy tears will be glorious.
I would have absolutely no problems installing Linux on my pc -- JUST GIMME HALF-LIFE 3 already darnit!

23. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 03:02 headkase

I'm curious to see where it goes. For now, Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly for me to care about it.

Really. Check out my desktop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOE6fUQTjqs

I made that video, that's my voice, get a clue.

22. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 02:47 Ant

deqer wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 00:27:
Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly
I don't think you know Linux as it is today. It's become a lot friendlier over the years. I use LinuxMint.
Yep. And how is it ugly too? Compiz = Pretty!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

21. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 02:00 Rea1One

This will just end up like the mac support on Steam.. Major publishers wont bother with this at all.  

20. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 00:56 mag

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 00:43:
Last I knew, the BSD is GPL. And thats why Darwin is "open source" because its the part Apple legally needs to keep open. Everything else they tack on to it on the other hand isn't GPL.

So Apple is using the base engine and keeping it as open as needed, every little modification and screw change they do, they don't open up because they don't need to legal. The GPL doesn't cover that

BSD License: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

GPL: Pay it forward.

19. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 00:43 Kitkoan

zee wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 00:36:
Kitkoan wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 00:24:
DDI wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:55:
But in the end, it's only a matter of time before Valve just releases some steam box that runs a closed Linux distro, completing the circle of hypocrisy.

No, the GPL is specifically designed to prevent this.

May I show you OSX and iOS?

While I'm not saying that Valve will make a closed Linux box, claiming that something like the GPL will prevent them is very naive. Apple took the open Mach Kernel and BSD codes and locked them down, only keep as much open as they legally had to.

Somebody doesn't know the difference between the GPL and BSD license. You can close BSD code, but not GPL ... well, unless you are willing to risk a lawsuit.

Last I knew, the BSD is GPL. And thats why Darwin is "open source" because its the part Apple legally needs to keep open. Everything else they tack on to it on the other hand isn't GPL.

So Apple is using the base engine and keeping it as open as needed, every little modification and screw change they do, they don't open up because they don't need to legal. The GPL doesn't cover that

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

18. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 00:36 zee

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 00:24:
DDI wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 21:55:
But in the end, it's only a matter of time before Valve just releases some steam box that runs a closed Linux distro, completing the circle of hypocrisy.

No, the GPL is specifically designed to prevent this.

May I show you OSX and iOS?

While I'm not saying that Valve will make a closed Linux box, claiming that something like the GPL will prevent them is very naive. Apple took the open Mach Kernel and BSD codes and locked them down, only keep as much open as they legally had to.

Somebody doesn't know the difference between the GPL and BSD license. You can close BSD code, but not GPL ... well, unless you are willing to risk a lawsuit.

17. Re: Valve on Linux Plans Oct 30, 2012, 00:27 deqer

Linux remains too fucking ugly and user-unfriendly
I don't think you know Linux as it is today. It's become a lot friendlier over the years. I use LinuxMint.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo