Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2012, 16:03 Ray Marden

It has a few neat moments, but more than anything, Windows 8 feels incomplete. If anything, it feels like a massive Bing desktop for Windows 7.

Even if you love the new Metro interface, it is very limited - you lost direct access or control over numerous things or other standard things kick you back to the retro desktop. Even for maintaining the Windows 7 desktop, why disable the start menu and transparencies?

Going back to Metro, why are so many things missing or limited? Why do so many of the apps just stay open without an on-screen way to close them? Why is everything sized for a tablet with no recognition of the 27" monitor I have? IE is a good example of this - I like that it defaults to a full screen view, but other things make it less convenient than the desktop version - tabs are not accessible from the main screen, I don't see my favorites until I open a second tab, sorting through bookmarks is inefficient now that each one is an icon that is roughly 1.5"-wide icons, etc.

Windows 8 is fine as an operating system, but there is reason for anybody to run out and get it. It really is Windows 7 with a quirky search/start screen. Until I can do everything I want from Metro, much less in a smart and efficient way, this seems like a half-hearted attempt by Microsoft.
It's a $40 add on pack.
Liking it for being something different; doing most stuff in the retro desktop,
Ray

P.S. If you did happen to buy Win 8 Pro, be sure to get the Windows Media Center while it is free:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 15:17 eRe4s3r

I guess that means my next system wipe for a new SSD as base system drive is gonna be Windows 7... too bad. I had hoped till release modders and hackers would have found a way to rid Windows 8 of all these Metro/Touch gesture nonsense things. I don't want to relearn computing, I need to be "into" the corporate way of desktops, and Windows 8 would confuse the heck out of me. It's already bad enough to pendle between 2k XP Vista and Windows 7. And these are nearly identical. But nothing in Windows 8 is where it was in Windows 7. Just look at the control panel for gods sake.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 14:01 Rigs

What a fuckin' disaster...

I don't even have to explain why, just use the damn thing for a while and you'll know...I hope MS survives this little sidetrip and then declares Win8 as dead as WindowsME and buries it just as fast...What a waste of time and money...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2012, 11:22 Verno

The default music and video apps in Windows 8 are awful, more space is devoted to what is effectively advertisement than your own content. In fact that is a general theme of Microsoft apps in Windows 8 which is what people have been predicting for some time. Thankfully you can just remove them but the Store itself is pretty barren. The odd juxtaposition between Metro and Desktop apps doesn't help either, Microsoft should have let them interact more instead of walling off WinRT apps. Also horizontal scrolling and hot corners still suck despite repeated usage.

After basically replicating my taskbar setup in Metro and spending a few days with it, I concluded its just basically a clunkier version of that with some display tiles on the Start screen. If you spend a lot of time staring at the start screen you might like this but I found the concept to be a total waste on a desktop computer. The best thing you can do with Metro is basically disable it with Classic Shell or Start 8 and treat Windows 8 in general like Windows 7 without transparency (why did they remove this in Retail?).

They decided to ditch ClearType and Aero too, Metro apps use simple supersampling instead and it has some real problems with font accuracy. Metro searching still sucks too, Windows 7 has no problem with grouped search results and there is no logical reason behind the backstep here.

Anyways, between Dev/Con previews and Retail they didn't really improve much. I'm putting my test box back to Windows 7 later. I'm all for useful change but there just isn't much to be had with Windows 8. Maybe in Windows 9 they will work out the kinks and create a more effective hybrid interface.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo