Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hurricane Sandy is not yet imposing her will on our area the way the first forecasts suggested, so it's still a mystery what sort of impact the storm will have. It's a bit drizzly and windy now, but that's obviously just the early hints, and our village has already declared a state of emergency, which sets a tone. As I said yesterday, there's no reason to be particularly concerned for the BlueTower, as the worst we are likely to suffer in our location is a power outage (though, of course, that would impact my ability to update the site), and here's hoping that others in the path of the storm are equally secure, and that everyone manages to come through this relatively unscathed.

Scathing Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stunt Crazy: Trick or Treat Pack.
Stories: Hurricane Sandy tracked by Google.
'Skyfall' Screenwriter Reportedly Hired To Pen Bond 24.
How Patsy Grimaldi, the 81-Year-Old New York Pizza Legend, Is Getting His Good Name Back.
Science: Cheap colour test picks up HIV.
Carbon nanotubes fit by the thousands onto a chip.
'The Hobbit- An Unexpected Journey' & HFR 3D- Film Ushers In New Technology.
Media: Halloween Scares from Texas! A Very Tall Monster.
Baby Chomps into first birthday cake.
Bruce Willis Causes Massive Property Damage.
Follow-up: Fukushima fish still contaminated from nuclear accident.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 10:02 Mr. Tact

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. It wasn't my intention to criticize anyone flooded by Sandy (although there might be some portion that qualify). I was addressing broader issues raised by Bats. There are people in the Midwest and South (and probably other regions) that live in flood plains and literally get flooded out every few years. I have no sympathy for those people. If you live in a flood plain and have to rebuild your home multiple times take a hint and rebuild out of the flood plain.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:48 PHJF

Bats, I'm with you on criticizing people who live in flood plains and get flooded out every 3 years or so. They don't get my sympathy either. I mean how many times does your house need to have 3 ft or more of water in it before you realize it's not a good place to build a house?

Well there are these things called jobs, you see, and since nobody has taken the initiative to build a The Fly teleporter apparatus people have to live in close proximity to these jobs.

Not to mention, you see, as North America was settled hundreds of years ago and via the eastern seaboard, many major population centers formed on the immediate coast. I'm sorry society isn't capable of simply uprooting hundreds of years of developed civilization to find a more suitable, modern geographical arrangement.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 09:18 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 17:48:
I hadn't thought of it in that regard, hopefully they saved lives with the approach they took. That being said, morons still stayed and now are putting rescuers in danger. I would have left in a heartbeat, or, sent my family out, I am sure I would have had to work.

Well first you said it wasn't a big deal and that the media was just making something out of nothing. Now with the benefit of hindsight you're saying you would have left in a heartbeat. Maybe the decisions aren't as clear cut as people think, hell some idiot mayor was telling people to just ride it out. Giving up your home is not an easy thing and its a lot more difficult to trust the media than it was 20 years ago so I can sympathize with people who were torn and didn't know what to do. Besides, there were a lot of people who did leave their homes and still suffered a lot of property damage, will experience job losses and so on.

Anyways Sandy caused billions in damage, let alone the 50+ lives and what it might do to an already weakened economy. It's a damned shame that nature is as fickle and unforgiving as it is beautiful.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 08:52 Mr. Tact

Bats, I'm with you on criticizing people who live in flood plains and get flooded out every 3 years or so. They don't get my sympathy either. I mean how many times does your house need to have 3 ft or more of water in it before you realize it's not a good place to build a house?

But comparing that to living in tornado alley is quite the leap. I have lived in a tornado region for the better part of three decades and only ever seen a tornado once and only twice lived in a community that had significant damage. And one of those really wasn't that big a deal.

And I realize the media is running the hype machine at full force, but Sandy did cause billions of dollars of damage. Your dismissive attitude toward it seems unwarranted and uncharacteristic for you.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 17:48 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:45:
The whole "they chose to live there" thing is neither here nor there and I'm not really interested in discussing it I was just pointing out that it is in fact a big deal to people living in those areas since you said the media had overblown it. I think this was a case where the government and media got it right, warning people well in advance and probably preventing a lot of damage and potentially loss of life.

Don't get me wrong, they are guilty of hyping/fearmongering bullshit all the time but I try to give them credit where its due too.

I hadn't thought of it in that regard, hopefully they saved lives with the approach they took. That being said, morons still stayed and now are putting rescuers in danger. I would have left in a heartbeat, or, sent my family out, I am sure I would have had to work.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:45 Verno

The whole "they chose to live there" thing is neither here nor there and I'm not really interested in discussing it I was just pointing out that it is in fact a big deal to people living in those areas since you said the media had overblown it. I think this was a case where the government and media got it right, warning people well in advance and probably preventing a lot of damage and potentially loss of life.

Don't get me wrong, they are guilty of hyping/fearmongering bullshit all the time but I try to give them credit where its due too.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2012, 09:54.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:26 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:24:
They have shown exactly:
1 building with damage.
1 apt with the wall that fell off
A few trees (some stations have even shown the same few trees)
Flooding of coastal homes (duh)
A bent crane that seems to be the worst damage and most devastating for the news people "cause I know people that live in the area"
Flooding
Snow, which is fine, it is about that time of year.

You're not going to see buildings toppling over and other cute movie tidbits, it's a hurricane, not Deep Impact

Severe flooding is rather boring as far as vicarious entertainment but still incredibly destructive to infrastructure such as power and transit. Sources of info below.

1 2 3

The pictures the local media put out are rather boring.
Here

But they include pictures from Haiti - which looks 10x worse.

Maybe I am desensitized to flooding, as the MN river valley, etc gets flooded every year. I have zero sympathy for those who live in those areas, but it is pretty bad ALMOST every year. I guess I have the same lack of empathy for a coastal area (see New Orleans) as I chose to live in an area relatively shielded from natural disasters. Dummies live in Florida and deal with this multiple times a year. Peeps live in Tornado alley (not sure why), West coasters are crazy and deal with those quakes that give no warning, etc etc etc. I dunno. Guess ya just gotta deal with what you are dealt. We get more snow than East coast, but no one cares.

Tornados hit MN in the southern area and we just clean up and move on (can't speak for the MPLS tornado, at least not for North Minneapolis where they all were waiting for someone to clean the mess up for them - and still are) but the north METRO area hit by same said tornado - they all cleaned up and repaired and moved on. I have family that was affected by that - we just showed up, cleaned up, had a bbq, and went home.

I dunno. I am probably just an inconsiderate A-hole, and i am ok with that.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2012, 09:31.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:24 Verno

They have shown exactly:
1 building with damage.
A bent crane that seems to be the worst damage and most devastating for the news people "cause I know people that live in the area"
Flooding

You're not going to see buildings toppling over and other cute movie tidbits, it's a hurricane, not Deep Impact

Severe flooding is rather boring as far as vicarious entertainment but still incredibly destructive to infrastructure such as power and transit. Sources of info below.

1 2 3

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:22 PHJF

eH, I am sure HUNDREDS died naturally in the area at the same time - 13 seems pretty low - sorry being so morbid.....but....really. It kind of puttered and wasn't the big thing everyone made it out to be - lets get something else on the news already....

Yeah really, where's my election news?!? It's been like... 6 hours without any!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:16 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:08:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:07:
eh. They made it out to be a bigger deal - and it isn't as bad as they thought.

No it's pretty much exactly what they were calling for, minus the snow in some places. I've been following it pretty closely from the beginning since I travel out here for work and have family here.

They have shown exactly:
1 building with damage.
Flooding

The coolest and probably worst part of it, is the salt water entering the subway system. That is pretty damn damaging. Everything will corrode very quickly and I assume it will take a major overhaul and undertaking to fix it. The videos of the subway flooding were pretty impressive.

I hope the best for everyone, I really do. I am not there obviously, but come on....if anyone has links or more info on the saltwater damage, link please. That is pretty interesting....

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:08 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:07:

No it's pretty much exactly what they were calling for, minus the snow in some places. I've been following it pretty closely from the beginning since I travel out here for work and have family here. Just some of the impact so far. People were well informed by the media and government otherwise I'm sure we would have seen a higher body count.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2012, 09:17.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:07 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 09:00:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 01:58:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 00:42:
Wow, they are reporting 13 deaths in the US attributed to Sandy. That's surprising/disappointing given the forewarning we had.

eH, I am sure HUNDREDS died naturally in the area at the same time - 13 seems pretty low - sorry being so morbid.....but....really. It kind of puttered and wasn't the big thing everyone made it out to be - lets get something else on the news already....

Uh, tell that to NY/NJ. I'm looking at video of a few streets practically underwater. More than 3 million people without power across various states. Many eastern transit systems shut down. Might not be a big deal to Minnesota but it's a big deal on the eastern sea board.

No one said it was going to be apocalypse now for the whole country.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 09:00 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 01:58:
Wow, they are reporting 13 deaths in the US attributed to Sandy. That's surprising/disappointing given the forewarning we had.

Haha seriously? Tell that to NY/NJ. I'm looking at video of a few streets practically underwater. More than 7 million people without power across various states. Many eastern transit systems shut down. Might not be a big deal to Minnesota but it's a big deal on the eastern sea board.

No one said it was going to be apocalypse now for the whole country.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2012, 09:07.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 06:11 Steelcamp

Power on. Check
Gas on. Check
Food in fridge. Check
Water on. Check
Sump Pump running. Check
Internet on...Check Check!!

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

30. New York Oct 30, 2012, 05:21 jdreyer

Is getting hammered. I hope everyone is alright out there.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 02:21 Mr. Tact

Yes, and 13 deaths compared to the number of starving deaths in Africa is pretty small too. Context Bats, context. And saying the storm puttered out when it closed the stock market for two days... Pretty sure the last thing to do that was 9/11.  

28. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 01:58 xXBatmanXx

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 00:42 Mr. Tact

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 20:43 WarPig

Hey yo everyone out there in the N.E. USA. Stay safe.

Monday Night Football on and I'm switching back and forth to the Weather Channel. Doesn't look good.

So anyone out there, including Blue, who still has power and has the time - drop us a line here on the old OOTB message board and let us know how it's going.

GO SEAHAWKS!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 20:13 Cutter

PHJF wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 20:00:
Maybe if we dump a bunch of radioactive waste in the water they'll stop fucking fishing everything into extinction.

With the levels of Mercury and other pollutants in seafood these days I don't understand why anyone would eat the stuff unless they absolutely had to.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo