Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hurricane Sandy is not yet imposing her will on our area the way the first forecasts suggested, so it's still a mystery what sort of impact the storm will have. It's a bit drizzly and windy now, but that's obviously just the early hints, and our village has already declared a state of emergency, which sets a tone. As I said yesterday, there's no reason to be particularly concerned for the BlueTower, as the worst we are likely to suffer in our location is a power outage (though, of course, that would impact my ability to update the site), and here's hoping that others in the path of the storm are equally secure, and that everyone manages to come through this relatively unscathed.

Scathing Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stunt Crazy: Trick or Treat Pack.
Stories: Hurricane Sandy tracked by Google.
'Skyfall' Screenwriter Reportedly Hired To Pen Bond 24.
How Patsy Grimaldi, the 81-Year-Old New York Pizza Legend, Is Getting His Good Name Back.
Science: Cheap colour test picks up HIV.
Carbon nanotubes fit by the thousands onto a chip.
'The Hobbit- An Unexpected Journey' & HFR 3D- Film Ushers In New Technology.
Media: Halloween Scares from Texas! A Very Tall Monster.
Baby Chomps into first birthday cake.
Bruce Willis Causes Massive Property Damage.
Follow-up: Fukushima fish still contaminated from nuclear accident.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 12:36 Mr. Tact

Ha! That's a pretty good story, Bucky. I went many years without missing a day at work, even when we were officially told we could stay home. Here in central Illinois we're out of range of Sandy, but I almost wish I was closer just to experience it. Almost...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 12:13 Bucky

Last year, when the freak October blizzard hit New England, work didn't get cancelled. I was driving under trees hanging from power lines to get to work, and I didn't have power for almost four days. I'd been told, in all seriousness, that we would only cancel work if the snow was over the top of the building and it was on fire. Wtf

They shut down today at noon. I work second shift, so I've got the day off. To say I'm surprised is an understatement. The funny part is, I live in Western Mass. The chance of us getting anything significant is pretty minimal, especially since last years storm already took down every weak tree.

I guess I'll have to play games all day.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 11:27 Verno

I can only assume you mean what the effects will be because the weather system itself is a real, measured thing. Since Katrina both government and media err on the side of caution and give you the worst case scenarios so that people can be prepared. I don't know about other folks but I stick to local stations when this sort of thing happens so I'm not sure how successful a ratings play by the nationals would be anyway.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 11:16 Cutter

I'm firmly in the corner that this is massively overblown - pun intended - simply for ratings.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo