Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hurricane Sandy is not yet imposing her will on our area the way the first forecasts suggested, so it's still a mystery what sort of impact the storm will have. It's a bit drizzly and windy now, but that's obviously just the early hints, and our village has already declared a state of emergency, which sets a tone. As I said yesterday, there's no reason to be particularly concerned for the BlueTower, as the worst we are likely to suffer in our location is a power outage (though, of course, that would impact my ability to update the site), and here's hoping that others in the path of the storm are equally secure, and that everyone manages to come through this relatively unscathed.

Scathing Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stunt Crazy: Trick or Treat Pack.
Stories: Hurricane Sandy tracked by Google.
'Skyfall' Screenwriter Reportedly Hired To Pen Bond 24.
How Patsy Grimaldi, the 81-Year-Old New York Pizza Legend, Is Getting His Good Name Back.
Science: Cheap colour test picks up HIV.
Carbon nanotubes fit by the thousands onto a chip.
'The Hobbit- An Unexpected Journey' & HFR 3D- Film Ushers In New Technology.
Media: Halloween Scares from Texas! A Very Tall Monster.
Baby Chomps into first birthday cake.
Bruce Willis Causes Massive Property Damage.
Follow-up: Fukushima fish still contaminated from nuclear accident.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 20:08 Prez

killer_roach wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 19:53:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 18:02:
Won't they be for hundreds of years?
You still can't safely be around Chernobyl for any good length of time - even though you can take a tour - you still should wear a suit and the tour is limited in time.

But yeah, even still the fish are likely to possess residual radiation levels above what would typically be considered "safe" for many years, possibly decades or centuries.

Unlikely I believe. The ocean has demonstrated remarkable dissemination and dilution properties, most often attributed to the chemical breakdown properties of the extreme concentration of salt. (EDIT: Also let me add that water is one of the best and safest moderators of nuclear reaction known to man and is used for that very purpose in nuclear reactor plants, which would further serve to limit the danger in the ocean from the Fukushima reactor incident). After the current generation of contaminated fish dies off, I find it doubtful that any trace radiation will be found at all. Continuous contamination of bodies of water generally requires ongoing introduction of radioactive materials over time. Nuclear plants dumping reactor waste water to rivers over years for example. That there is still contamination being found in the current generation of of fish isn't necessarily an indication that the reactors core is still leaking to the water.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2012, 20:26.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 20:00 PHJF

Maybe if we dump a bunch of radioactive waste in the water they'll stop fucking fishing everything into extinction.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 19:53 killer_roach

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 18:02:
You still can't safely be around Chernobyl for any good length of time - even though you can take a tour - you still should wear a suit and the tour is limited in time.

In all fairness, comparing Chernobyl to Fukushima Daiichi would be like comparing the Great Chicago Fire to a backyard barbecue.

But yeah, even still the fish are likely to possess residual radiation levels above what would typically be considered "safe" for many years, possibly decades or centuries.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 19:31 Prez

Will W wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 17:00:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 16:55:
Just had a pop-up takeover ad (with audio) from Call of Duty Black Ops II when visiting the front page, Blue.

I just had one too, mine was an orange and black one for turtle beach, I think it may have been using Black Ops 2 in the ad, not sure.

Same here.

And Blue, I cant believe that you are still slave to a city-run utility to ensure the proper flow of news. What would I do without updates or the rivetting intellectual exchange in the forums were you lose power???? I find it downright irresponsible that you leave my continued mental health to chance like that. Perhaps you should start a kickstarter project to get a generator? I'm in for $20.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 19:24 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 18:01:
Steam Halloween Sale - nothing really catches my eye as have to have.

Maybe Home and I am Alive....but...eh....I can wait.
At most I would get Deadlight.

Yeah, I Am Alive for sure...but only at $5. How can you justify anymore for what's supposedly a 3 hour game.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 18:02 xXBatmanXx

Baby Chomps into first birthday cake.
That is tradition in our family.

Fukushima fish still contaminated from nuclear accident.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 18:01 xXBatmanXx

Steam Halloween Sale - nothing really catches my eye as have to have.

Maybe Home and I am Alive....but...eh....I can wait.
At most I would get Deadlight.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 17:34 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 15:24:
Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 11:16:
I'm firmly in the corner that this is massively overblown - pun intended - simply for ratings.

Better safe than sorry. The tsunami that came out here a couple days ago ended up being about half of what was forecast and hardly a danger at all. Nonetheless, EVERYONE in low lying areas fled, sucked gas stations dry, and cleaned the supermarket shelves by the beaches. No one died or was injured, and the economy got a boost as well. Wink

Oh I don't disagree its better to be prepared but most media outlets I've seen are hyping the shit out of it like it's the coming Apocalypse or something. We all know bad news and hysteria sells.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 17:00 Will W

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 16:55:
Just had a pop-up takeover ad (with audio) from Call of Duty Black Ops II when visiting the front page, Blue.

I just had one too, mine was an orange and black one for turtle beach, I think it may have been using Black Ops 2 in the ad, not sure.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 16:56 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 16:04:
That's pretty much where I'm at now too, each sale has maybe one or two things that I want.

Same here. This sale's haul from me is just Hell Yeah!, simply because it looked interesting and, at half off this soon after launch, seemed like a no-brainer.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 16:55 Mordecai Walfish

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 16:40 Hoop

"It's a bit drizzly and windy now"

That will be the chilli, lay off it for a while.

Um .. Behind you...

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 16:04 Verno

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 15:52:
I've found the perfect way to resist Steam sales.

First buy every possible game you could ever want in the previous sales, including some you probably didn't want. Build up such a ridiculous library that you realize there is no way in hell you could carry a job and play all of these. Look at the list with a mix of both awe and disgust and it will be easier to set a personal goal to be more responsible.

Worked for me!

That's pretty much where I'm at now too, each sale has maybe one or two things that I want.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 15:59 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 15:52:

First buy every possible game you could ever want in the previous sales, including some you probably didn't want. Build up such a ridiculous library that you realize there is no way in hell you could carry a job and play all of these. Look at the list with a mix of both awe and disgust and it will be easier to set a personal goal to be more responsible.

Worked for me!

Ah, the Prez method, yes...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 15:52 NegaDeath

Worked for me!

9. The Hobbit in HFR Oct 29, 2012, 15:30 jdreyer

Hopefully we'll have HFR out here. Looking fwd to seeing this, and the yung-un made me promise to take her a year ago, so we'll make an excursion of it.

Fall is usually a slow season, but so much interesting stuff out/coming out: Argo, Cloud Atlas, Skyfall, Flight, Lincoln, and, of course picture of the year contender, Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 15:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 11:16:
I'm firmly in the corner that this is massively overblown - pun intended - simply for ratings.

Better safe than sorry. The tsunami that came out here a couple days ago ended up being about half of what was forecast and hardly a danger at all. Nonetheless, EVERYONE in low lying areas fled, sucked gas stations dry, and cleaned the supermarket shelves by the beaches. No one died or was injured, and the economy got a boost as well. Wink

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

7. Re: Meanwhile on steam... Oct 29, 2012, 15:21 The Half Elf

nin wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 14:17:
OH GOD HALLOWEEN SALE!

GAH NOOOOO I'M TRYING TO SAVE MYSELF FOR X-MAS!

*cries and loads up Steam*

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: Meanwhile on steam... Oct 29, 2012, 14:55 PHJF

Same shit they always have on sale.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Meanwhile on steam... Oct 29, 2012, 14:17 nin

OH GOD HALLOWEEN SALE!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer