Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTA5 in Spring?

Computer and Video Games reports a indication that Grand Theft Auto V will be released in Spring 2013, saying this was found on some allegedly leaked posters on gta-five.pl, a Polish website that currently seems completely blank. They do reproduce the images, and we'll trust their super vision when they say "suggest - in very small print - the eagerly anticipated sequel will be available between March and May next year," adding "this has not been officially confirmed by Rockstar Games or Take-Two Interactive."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 31, 2012, 09:27 Verno

KTR wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 16:57:
So you prefer RAGE during its GTA4 state than Max Payne 3?

I guess it depends. Given the poor and constant loading times to manage detailed scenes, I'm honestly not sure how to answer that. I think there were a lot of great aspects to the port in terms of customization and PC polish. On the other hand playing the game itself was really disjointed and I wouldn't want that kind of experience in an open world game.

Ideally I'd just like the cover systems to go, someone else have a go at the control system and I don't mind suffering some graphical jank if it means I don't see loading screens all the time.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 30, 2012, 16:57 KTR

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2012, 10:13:
I hope not. Max Payne 3 as an experience for me: I control Max for 20 seconds. I watch a cutscene while the game loads some more. I hammer space/escape frantically after 15 seconds out of impatience, this thing is on an SSD damn it. I finally get control of Max again for 20 seconds, we kill people and I am just getting into when... Cutscene, loading. loading. etc. I go play another game.

So you prefer RAGE during its GTA4 state than Max Payne 3? I never said the engine is flawless on PC, but it has improved quite a bit since GTA4.

52. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 30, 2012, 10:13 Verno

KTR wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 19:42:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 17:35:
]The only plus side is that PCs are now so powerful that if Rockstar messes up the PC version they'd really have to be trying... which I'm still not ruling out.

Max Payne 3, which runs the RAGE engine, shows how well R* and the engine has matured on the PC platform as well as console platform. Now how well this maturity pairs with an open (massive) world game is to be seen.

I hope not. Max Payne 3 as an experience for me: I control Max for 20 seconds. I watch a cutscene while the game loads some more. I hammer space/escape frantically after 15 seconds out of impatience, this thing is on an SSD damn it. I finally get control of Max again for 20 seconds, we kill people and I am just getting into when... Cutscene, loading. loading. etc. I go play another game.

51. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 19:42 KTR

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 17:35:
]The only plus side is that PCs are now so powerful that if Rockstar messes up the PC version they'd really have to be trying... which I'm still not ruling out.

Max Payne 3, which runs the RAGE engine, shows how well R* and the engine has matured on the PC platform as well as console platform. Now how well this maturity pairs with an open (massive) world game is to be seen.

50. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 17:35 theyarecomingforyou

KTR wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 17:02:
Typo, I mean the technology as in debuting the RAGE engine in open world format and being the first to show off Euphoria. Obviously R* was not going to use Renderware for GTA4, therefore time had to be invested in new technology leaving less time for gameplay. Now that they have the technology in place and fairly optimized, now R* can focus on gameplay.
The only plus side is that PCs are now so powerful that if Rockstar messes up the PC version they'd really have to be trying... which I'm still not ruling out.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

49. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 17:02 KTR

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 16:49:
KTR wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 13:51:
Because time is limited and finite for game development, R* put more emphasis on the technical aspect on GTA4 than gameplay.
And yet the technical side was a complete clusterfuck, that brought consoles and PCs to their knees despite the fact the graphics looked like ass.

Typo, I mean the technology as in debuting the RAGE engine in open world format and being the first to show off Euphoria. Obviously R* was not going to use Renderware for GTA4, therefore time had to be invested in new technology leaving less time for gameplay. Now that they have the technology in place and fairly optimized, now R* can focus on gameplay.

48. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 16:49 theyarecomingforyou

KTR wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 13:51:
Because time is limited and finite for game development, R* put more emphasis on the technical aspect on GTA4 than gameplay.
And yet the technical side was a complete clusterfuck, that brought consoles and PCs to their knees despite the fact the graphics looked like ass.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

47. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 13:51 KTR

Because time is limited and finite for game development, R* put more emphasis on the technology aspect on GTA4 than gameplay. We saw this with the Episodes of Liberty City and RDR. Now that R* has established their RAGE technology and seemingly got it running well as displayed by Max Payne 3 on all platforms, R* now has time to focus on gameplay for the next GTA.

As I have mentioned in another thread...

GTA5 is to GTA:SA as GTA4 is to GTA3.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2012, 17:02.

46. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 13:26 Creston

PHJF wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 12:13:
After San Andreas, GTA4 felt very constricted.

Yeah when you put as much detail as they did you have to restrict the scope.

And I'd rather they stick with *not* having "RPG elements" or side quests that people seem concerned about. GTA is at its best when the developers get out of the way and let the player muck about. Riding around picking flowers ala RDR is not my idea of a good time.

There's something to be said about either approach, but I generally liked the SA way of doing things much better.

For example, the Grand Theft Auto missions. In GTA, you were told to "get an inferno", and the game didn't give a fuck where you got that inferno from. Typically by the time I'd get to those missions, I'd have 3 garages full of hard to find cars already.

In GTA4, you have to steal that one specific car, even if it's just a plain old boring-ass Pinto, and every time you steal it you get 19 stars and the cops chase you with fucking Apache helicopters. (this was even worse in SR3, where I stole a fucking off-road motorcycle worth 2 grand, and the fucking ARMY came to chase me with their laser cannons and shit.)

Yeah, I'll take the SA approach.

As for the picking flowers in RDR, yeah, I didn't much like that either, especially the final one where it tells you "now go back and pick 2 more of every flower." It's just the devs trolling you at that point.

Sadly the reward for completing it is so good that it's hard to ignore it

Creston

45. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 12:13 PHJF

After San Andreas, GTA4 felt very constricted.

Yeah when you put as much detail as they did you have to restrict the scope.

And I'd rather they stick with *not* having "RPG elements" or side quests that people seem concerned about. GTA is at its best when the developers get out of the way and let the player muck about. Riding around picking flowers ala RDR is not my idea of a good time.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 10:42 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 09:34:
It's funny, a lot of people hated that stuff but it never bothered me that much. I just turned off the cell phone or agreed to the silly thing then cancelled immediately after which didn't incur any penalties.

It just bugged me that was the only stuff to do

I didn't hate it either. It was an easy left click to ignore a call, or if I answered it by accident I'd just accept whatever they wanted to do (since I had my setup so that accelerate was the same button as accept on the phone), and then I'd just never show up. Eventually they'd get really pissed at you, but who cares?

The only one who even gave a bonus that was worth anything was Jacob, so I'd take him to get drunk once every 20 hours (play time) or so, and that was plenty to keep him happy.

But yeah, there should have been more side stuff to do. After San Andreas, GTA4 felt very constricted. (of course, in my book nothing beats driving a shitty SUV and tearing up the countryside, and getting chased by cops while Juice Newton's "Queen of Hearts" is blaring on the stereo.)

I fervently hope that GTAV is like San Andreas, but in GTA4's clothing.

Creston

43. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 10:38 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 09:19:
Creston wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 09:02:
Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 08:46:
GTA4 had next to nothing to do by comparison.

What are you talking about? You could go bowling! Or play darts! Or you could visit a show! And you could do that with Roman, OR with Brucie, OR with Jacob, OR with ...

Creston

Wagwan, Cres'on, wagwan...

I loved Jacob. He and his Jamaican buddy were just so funny. "I's and I's an' sight an' ting!"
And Nico's just standing there with this priceless "WTF?" look on his face.

Creston

42. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 09:34 Verno

What are you talking about? You could go bowling! Or play darts! Or you could visit a show! And you could do that with Roman, OR with Brucie, OR with Jacob, OR with ...

It's funny, a lot of people hated that stuff but it never bothered me that much. I just turned off the cell phone or agreed to the silly thing then cancelled immediately after which didn't incur any penalties.

It just bugged me that was the only stuff to do

41. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 09:31 Optional nickname

Devs should just include 16GB of DDR3 ram in the game box, being at a historic low of under $2 per 4GB, because of Win8 stagnancy.

Then just optimize the game engine around that huge amount of RAM, WIN!

40. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 09:25 PHJF

GTA4 woulda been totally fine (engine/performance notwithstanding) had they not opted to shoehorn in a fucking cover system.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 09:19 nin

Creston

Wagwan, Cres'on, wagwan...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 09:15 wtf_man

While I enjoyed GTA4... not sure if I'm interested in GTA5 after Saints Row the Third. As over the top as SR is (which I usually don't care for)... I just had more fun in general, and would probably consider a new GTA too mediocre / bland.  

37. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 09:02 Creston

Creston

36. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 08:46 Verno

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 08:38:
The GTA games to me have always been more about the experience than the gameplay itself, which admittedly has strictly followed the somewhat repetitive formula for a long time now. I like the way it allows me to believe I am living the life I can't and won't in real life for obvious reasons. It's fun to be the bad guy after all. Also, I enjoy the silliness and tongue-in-cheek nature of it all while it still manages to play it somewhat straight.

What bothers me is that Rockstar doesn't seem to improve the basic gameplay elements much between iterations. It's like the same guy doing the controls has been making the same shitty controls since the first game. I can't think of a game with controls as awkward and often times bizarre as GTA. I actually use both the controller and KB/M when playing them.

I think they can make great sandboxes but they can't seem to find a balance there either. GTA:SA had so much shit to do that it was just silly, much of it completely obscure with strange hidden requirements. GTA4 had next to nothing to do by comparison.

Anyways I look forward to seeing what they did with GTA5 but I hope they improved some of the base gameplay elements more than anything else.

35. Re: GTA5 in Spring? Oct 29, 2012, 08:38 Prez

The GTA games to me have always been more about the experience than the gameplay itself, which admittedly has strictly followed the somewhat repetitive formula for a long time now. I like the way it allows me to believe I am living the life I can't and won't in real life for obvious reasons. It's fun to be the bad guy after all. Also, I enjoy the silliness and tongue-in-cheek nature of it all while it still manages to play it somewhat straight.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo