Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Consolidation

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 19:24 Prez

Hyatus wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 12:24:
Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 20:21:
[...] when there's nothing interesting that they can think to write, they just title a piece "_____________ Are Dead/Dying" and they look around their home or office and the first device they see gets written in the blank. BAM! Instant story.

This just in: "Lamps are dead. What will replace it?"

Due to the low cost of streaming sunlight into your home, people are finding it harder to justify the keeping of lamps and other bulb-related luminescent devices around. The last hurdle that sunlight has is to light those few hours of darkness after the earth rotates around it during the night. However, studies find that more and more people are turning to their monitors and flat screen TVs for late-night room light before dozing comfortably in their dark rooms for a peaceful evening slumber. Scientists believe that by next...oh...Spring(?) that bulbs will have gone the way of other once basic commodities such as on-air TV and radio.

The war on darkness continues.

Ha! Most excellent! Perfect proof-of-concept piece there. I see a future in journalism for you.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 Hyatus

Prez wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 20:21:
[...] when there's nothing interesting that they can think to write, they just title a piece "_____________ Are Dead/Dying" and they look around their home or office and the first device they see gets written in the blank. BAM! Instant story.

This just in: "Lamps are dead. What will replace it?"

Due to the low cost of streaming sunlight into your home, people are finding it harder to justify the keeping of lamps and other bulb-related luminescent devices around. The last hurdle that sunlight has is to light those few hours of darkness after the earth rotates around it during the night. However, studies find that more and more people are turning to their monitors and flat screen TVs for late-night room light before dozing comfortably in their dark rooms for a peaceful evening slumber. Scientists believe that by next...oh...Spring(?) that bulbs will have gone the way of other once basic commodities such as on-air TV and radio.

The war on darkness continues.

27. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 12:23 Axis

Smellfinger wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 10:55:
Axis wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 20:49:
Bleh bleh, doesn't matter. Tablets are more a PC than a Desktop is by definition...

Once you close the architecture of a computer, it becomes something other than a PC. You can't throw away three decades of history to bend the definition to your will.

The definition is simply the definition. If you dislike the definition then by all means try to make it fit YOUR will, but my "definition" is copy pasted and almost word for word on a BILLION definitions listed on google.

Never has a "Personal Computer" been defined by weather or not you can alter the architecture, just ask Apple.

Yours truly,

Axis

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 29, 2012, 11:51 HorrorScope

At this point in time I think a fair part of the console future is how awesomely or not the HW will be. If they come out with a very blah upgrade, that will hurt them for sure. If they come out with state of the art, better then anything else at time of release, then there are enough serious gamers that will be all over it.

Social, Pad and Mobile gaming are mostly light weight gamers, to me until proven otherwise it's very different audiences. Zynga is a perfect example of that group of fashionable gamers, sometimes they mob up and game and other times they all run from it and do something entirely else. This will be proven over and over, we know these people, they are most of our family and friends.

Who doesn't know these things?

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 29, 2012, 11:46 HorrorScope

Ant wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 23:59:
Consoles are good for not having to deal with complex configurations like drivers. Also, they stay the same for years.

And if drivers are a challenge for one, then I recommend a plastic bubble for them. But in general I get what you are going for, I always state it's "good to know your way around a pc for general knowledge that can assist your career". PC Gaming can be a gateway for that.

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 29, 2012, 11:44 HorrorScope

mag wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 19:22:
Axis wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 18:45:
Tablets are "PC's"

Not really. "PC" is kinda synonymous with a general-purpose computer. Tablets are appliances that only do exactly what the manufacturer wants them to do.

What does the mfg want me to do with my tablet and am I complying?

23. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 10:55 Smellfinger

Bleh bleh, doesn't matter. Tablets are more a PC than a Desktop is by definition...

Once you close the architecture of a computer, it becomes something other than a PC. You can't throw away three decades of history to bend the definition to your will.

22. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 09:05 Verno

I don't think consoles are dead but they are certainly in a troubled spot for the next 10 years. The market itself is going to shrink a lot, the casuals are moving onto other things and the industry is left with the core base that it often times neglected. I know next generation I am only making room in my budget for one console this time and there will be a lot less games bought. Microsoft burned all of its credit with me with the RROD fiasco, paid MP and the lack of any compelling exclusives over the past three years.

So Nintendo and Sony get to duke it out for my money, I will probably lean toward Sony since they seem genuinely interested in making an original game library and I've outgrown several of Nintendos core franchises. For all of its faults, the PS3 had some of the most unique exclusives this gen and it was a fabulous little media box to boot.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

21. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 05:22 InBlack

Consoles are Dead Because I need to Generate Hits to my Pathetic & Completely Worthless POS Article!  

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 29, 2012, 00:23 NegaDeath

They're dead when they stop selling, not when some assjack with a biased opinion says so.

Remember when Net PC's killed the desktop over a decade ago? Yeah neither do I.

19. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 23:59 Ant

Consoles are good for not having to deal with complex configurations like drivers. Also, they stay the same for years.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 23:44 PropheT

Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 20:31:
Consoles are dead. Who wants to spend $500 on a crippled computer when a PC will do everything a console does and much, much more? Consoles were great when everyone who was computer illiterate and frightened of PCs wanted to game could do so. That's long past now.

Me.

I like both, for different reasons. The current generation of consoles is perfect for what I want; a quick, family-friendly media center with minimal maintenance and fuss. My main problem with consoles right now isn't the console or the setup at all, but the problems that resulted from trying to cut corners years ago when they came out.

I prefer my PC, but that's because it's mine and I can make it mine with everything I do on it. I don't want anyone else using it.

I don't see a phone or tablet replacing either of them, because that just doesn't seem like the direction anyone is really moving with those devices. I've yet to see anything that would suggest that's changing any time soon.

17. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 23:25 Axis

"A microcomputer designed for use by one person at a time."
"by a person in an office or at home or school"
" for such applications as word processing, data management, financial analysis, or computer games"

Sounds like the definitive definition of a Tablet, no?

Yours truly,

Axis

16. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 23:18 Mr. Tact

Er..what? Not by the definitions you provided.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 22:33 Beamer

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 21:03:
The idea that consoles are dead or soon to be is NONSENSE. Ever try to play a game on a pad or a phone? Hilarious at the moment. They are both about 5 years away atm even if you can afford all the data charges. They will not last 7 years though.

Kind of humorous that they say that PC gaming is picking up when a bunch of pundits are running around decrying the death of the pc too.

Now I do agree that the distribution medium will change from disks to download which should cut prices.

Agreed that consoles won't last past this generation. Maybe 2 for Nintendo, who will clutch to what they can.
PCs will be irrelevant shortly thereafter. But, since you have more than 3 companies involved they'll just become less and less common, not stop being massively manufactured.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 22:33 Parallax Abstraction

Chris Kohler wrote a "clicks through controversy" article? Shocked I say! And his primary source of opinion is the CEO of a free-to-play company that has a vested interest in seeing the current primary way games are sold fail? I'm not naive enough to believe that there isn't massive change going on in the "traditional" games industry right now but like others have said, this is just another doom and gloom article designed to drive traffic by pissing people off. Kohler's a master at this manipulative drivel. Sony and Microsoft aren't perfect by any means but they don't make bets they know they're going to lose. Mobile and free-to-play are viable models that are here to stay but both are in a massive bubble right now, mobile especially and anyone who thinks their current rate of growth will continue indefinitely should go get a job selling sub-prime mortgage backed securities. If you still have doubts, look what happened to Zynga, a company worth more than EA a year ago that everyone thought was the future and whose stock is now worth less than their real estate and equipment within.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2012, 22:45.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

13. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 21:03 Ozmodan

The idea that consoles are dead or soon to be is NONSENSE. Ever try to play a game on a pad or a phone? Hilarious at the moment. They are both about 5 years away atm even if you can afford all the data charges. They will not last 7 years though.

Kind of humorous that they say that PC gaming is picking up when a bunch of pundits are running around decrying the death of the pc too.

Now I do agree that the distribution medium will change from disks to download which should cut prices.

12. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 20:49 Axis

The "legal" definition of a PC is "A microcomputer designed for use by one person at a time."

or "a microcomputer designed for individual use, as by a person in an office or at home or school, for such applications as word processing, data management, financial analysis, or computer games"

Or any of the similar definitions.

Yours truly,

Axis

11. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 20:31 Cutter

Consoles are dead. Who wants to spend $500 on a crippled computer when a PC will do everything a console does and much, much more? Consoles were great when everyone who was computer illiterate and frightened of PCs wanted to game could do so. That's long past now.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 28, 2012, 20:21 Prez

Wow. I never thought I'd see that headline. Now consoles are dead instead of PC's? I wonder if this is just some kind of journo madlib fallback where, when there's nothing interesting that they can think to write, they just title a piece "_____________ Are Dead/Dying" and they look around their home or office and the first device they see gets written in the blank. BAM! Instant story.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo