Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content

The Far Cry 3 Website now offers a free modification for Minecraft that adds Far Cry 3 content to the sandbox construction game. Word is: "This pack allows users to explore and survive the Minecraft experience through the warped lens of Far Cry 3, with modifications to all aspects of the original game, including environments, weapons and tools. Discover key Far Cry 3 locations and characters, including Vaas, Jason and Citra, all completely redesigned in Minecraft style. The map also features over 50 Easter Eggs, hidden throughout the Islands."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 29, 2012, 09:46 Krizzen

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 08:50:
It's not that Minecraft doesn't have any merit but I think a lot of its success is built upon it being an alternative style, where it deliberately shuns graphics. I mean, look at shit like this - it looks like ass... for a game released ten years ago!

Some of it's success could be attributed to it's art style. Some. A lot? Not really. Hell, I'm almost embarrassed to be seen playing it, but the creative (versus destructive) sandbox style gameplay redeems itself. I think you're mistakingly construing Minecraft's appeal as some hipster fad like this. That is so not the case. People like the game primarily for the creative, lego-esque facet of the game where you create your own world. (To clarify, the standard game is Survival mode where you start with nothing and try to survive, level up, craft items, and eventually go through the Nether, "Hell world", and finally kill the dragon in The End; creative mode is purely constructive with no set end game goals) Personally, I enjoy creative mode and see it as a nice creative outlet, and based on exploring a few servers, I'm not alone!

If the gameplay redeemed it that would be one thing but it doesn't, at least for me. That's what I mean when I say I don't understand why people like it.

This is your opinion that your entitled to, but I hope I cleared up why people like it above.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 29, 2012, 09:28 Verno

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 08:50:
This. It's not that Minecraft doesn't have any merit but I think a lot of its success is built upon it being an alternative style, where it deliberately shuns graphics. I mean, look at shit like this - it looks like ass... for a game released ten years ago! If the gameplay redeemed it that would be one thing but it doesn't, at least for me. That's what I mean when I say I don't understand why people like it.

I don't hate it, I just don't like it and I don't understand why it's so popular. The graphics are poor and the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me. In fact people seem to like it because it has bad graphics - you only have to look at mods like this one (Far Cry 3) and Skyrim to see that.

Man those are some really shitty posts. Minecraft has a lot of issues but if you think poor graphics are one of them then you really don't get the game at all. Seriously it is low hanging fruit, there are so many other substantial things about the game that can be criticized.

It was built by a coder without any graphical skills and its focus is on building elements, not presentation. It was almost a literal one guy in a garage thing. There are a billion texture packs for it if it really bothers you that much.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

37. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 29, 2012, 09:14 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 08:57:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 22:09:
The point is, Minecraft deliberately went for shitty graphics to make it arty and I'm not into that sort of pretentious, hipster nonsense.

That's bullshit. Minecraft looks the way it does because it was ONE GUY making the whole game, and that particular guy has zero artistic talent.

Maybe he should have gone the Zynga way, and just copied another game's art base entirely?

Creston

It is indeed bullshit.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 29, 2012, 08:57 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 22:09:
The point is, Minecraft deliberately went for shitty graphics to make it arty and I'm not into that sort of pretentious, hipster nonsense.

That's bullshit. Minecraft looks the way it does because it was ONE GUY making the whole game, and that particular guy has zero artistic talent.

Maybe he should have gone the Zynga way, and just copied another game's art base entirely?

Creston

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 08:55 Creston

DrSquick wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 13:58:
It is definitely the mods, I put maybe a dozen hours into the game when I first got it, but with mods I easily have more hours into MC then even WOW; 2000+ would be a pretty good estimate.

My favorite are the industrial mods. With a combination of 10-15 mods, you start off with the vanilla game, make a basic shelter, start mining by hand, work your way up. Then the mods take over and the goal becomes building massive nuclear power plants, huge automated sorting, grinding, and smelting factories, and enormous computer-controller mining rigs where you had to learn a programming language to code your own mining robot.

This one particular nuclear reactor I made was cooled by a series of 12 bucket-filling machines filling buckets with water, then a giant spiderweb of vacuum tubes sucked the filled buckets out and poured them on the boiling hot reactor. Then another series of machines grabbed the empty buckets and fed them back into the fillers. This machine was hundreds of blocks in all directions and took 40+ hours to make. It generated so much power that if the cooling system failed it would go critical and blow my entire base to bits in under 5 seconds.

Thats fun that is limited only by what you can think to make... It is a sandbox game in the truest sense of the term. Remember too that it is fully multiplayer, so if you have a private server with 10 people or so, you can go see what they made, go on adventures together, or specialize - you make power, your friend makes giant mining machines, and you both need each other to function.

I know it's lame, but every six months or so I get the urge to go back, I load up all the mods and end up sinking another 200 hours into it... I've got more entertainment out of that game for $15 then I did from $1000 of AAA games I bet.

PS - I love legos too. (only reason I had kids... more legitimate to play with legos.)

When you have the time, could you post your mod list? Building a nuclear reactor sounds fucking awesome

Creston

34. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 29, 2012, 08:50 theyarecomingforyou

Krizzen wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 12:43:
Your steam profile shows you only have maybe 7 hours between all of those games. Perhaps you should rectify your definition of "love".
Love != Playtime

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 13:47:
For claiming not to be a graphics whore, you sure keep bringing up the visuals as a reason for not liking it... Have you ever tried Minecraft? The answer to that question will determine whether you're just a hater with preconceived notions of something really, really popular that you really *don't* understand, or a somewhat sad individual completely lacking any creativity, imagination, wonder, and innate drive for exploration.
Yes, I have played it actually. And while graphics are far from the be-all-and-end-all of gaming when you have very bad graphics they detract from the experience. As for the significance, the graphics are what you'll spend most of your time looking at and they do a lot to define your experience.

Bhruic wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 13:26:
Well, I'm neither blind or "simple", but I don't see the appeal of it. That doesn't mean I think people can't enjoy it, but that's a matter of taste. I don't see the appeal of the opera, but plenty of people go to see it.
This. It's not that Minecraft doesn't have any merit but I think a lot of its success is built upon it being an alternative style, where it deliberately shuns graphics. I mean, look at shit like this - it looks like ass... for a game released ten years ago! If the gameplay redeemed it that would be one thing but it doesn't, at least for me. That's what I mean when I say I don't understand why people like it.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

33. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 29, 2012, 02:28 Gas Bandit

It is, in fact, a proven truth that if you can't see what people like about minecraft, you are worse than hitler and cancer put together.  

32. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 13:47 jacobvandy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 11:12:
PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 09:33:
You answered your own question in the same fuckin post. The game is a computer programmer's wet dream. There are innumerable videos on youtube as proof.
I understand the concept, I just don't understand why people like it when the implementation is terrible (graphically and in terms of gameplay). As for being a "computer programmer's wet dream" I couldn't care less, as I play games for enjoyment - I'm not a computer programmer, not do I have any interest in becoming one.

More importantly, I don't understand why Ubisoft spent effort developing a Far Cry 3 mod for Minecraft.

For claiming not to be a graphics whore, you sure keep bringing up the visuals as a reason for not liking it... Have you ever tried Minecraft? The answer to that question will determine whether you're just a hater with preconceived notions of something really, really popular that you really *don't* understand, or a somewhat sad individual completely lacking any creativity, imagination, wonder, and innate drive for exploration.

As for Ubisoft doing a Far Cry 3 tie-in... Uh, that's pretty simple marketing. Tens of millions of people around the world play Minecraft on PC, Xbox, and mobile devices; it's far more pervasive than any game or even series they have ever produced. They're tapping into what's trendy in an attempt at cross-promotion, because they know most gaming sites will report on it. (Which they did, here and elsewhere.)

31. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 13:26 Bhruic

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 13:11:
There's a world of difference between not liking something and not being able to see the appeal of something, chum. If you can't "see the appeal" of Minecraft you're fuckin blind, plain and simple.

Well, I'm neither blind or "simple", but I don't see the appeal of it. That doesn't mean I think people can't enjoy it, but that's a matter of taste. I don't see the appeal of the opera, but plenty of people go to see it.

Again, feeling the need to belittle people because they have different standards than you do is pretty low.

30. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 13:11 PHJF

There's a world of difference between not liking something and not being able to see the appeal of something, chum. If you can't "see the appeal" of Minecraft you're fuckin blind, plain and simple.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 13:10 Ant

Krizzen wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 12:43:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 08:27:
It's not that I'm a graphics whore either, as I love graphically simple arty games like Multiwinia, And Yet It Moves, Atom Zombie Smasher and Crayon Physics Deluxe.

Your steam profile shows you only have maybe 7 hours between all of those games. Perhaps you should rectify your definition of "love".

PS
It's not about the graphics or art style, it's about the gameplay.
Ditto. I even play very old games and random Flash games, and have fun! I don't care for graphics.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

28. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 12:47 Bhruic

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 10:50:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 10:33:
The game is a computer programmer's wet dream.

As a computer programmer... No, it's not. Frankly, I've never seen the appeal of the game. I don't hate it, but I don't find it the least bit entertaining.

The game is a young, unjaded computer programmer's wet dream.

Better?

Uh, no? I've never understood why people feel the need to attack people because they don't like the same computer game. Lots of people didn't like Dishonored (to pick a recent example) on another forum I frequent, but I never claimed they must be old and jaded because of it.

Minecraft might be a fun game for some people. It wasn't for me. Newsflash - people have different taste in games.

27. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 12:44 Bhruic

Ant wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 10:42:

As a computer programmer... No, it's not. Frankly, I've never seen the appeal of the game. I don't hate it, but I don't find it the least bit entertaining.
Which games do YOU find entertaining then?

Quite a few different ones. I had a lot of fun with Borderlands 2, Dishonored and X-Com recently. The new King's Bounty - Warriors of the North is a lot of fun, but it's also quite buggy. Might need to put it down and wait for a patch.

If you were looking in the Minecraft-ish genre, I really enjoyed Terraria, although it wasn't nearly as much fun single player as multiplayer (and it was quite fun single player, which is a good indication of how much fun it was multiplayer).

26. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 12:43 Krizzen

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 08:27:
It's not that I'm a graphics whore either, as I love graphically simple arty games like Multiwinia, And Yet It Moves, Atom Zombie Smasher and Crayon Physics Deluxe.

PS
It's not about the graphics or art style, it's about the gameplay.

25. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 theyarecomingforyou

You answered your own question in the same fuckin post. The game is a computer programmer's wet dream. There are innumerable videos on youtube as proof.
I understand the concept, I just don't understand why people like it when the implementation is terrible (graphically and in terms of gameplay). As for being a "computer programmer's wet dream" I couldn't care less, as I play games for enjoyment - I'm not a computer programmer, not do I have any interest in becoming one.

More importantly, I don't understand why Ubisoft spent effort developing a Far Cry 3 mod for Minecraft.

24. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 10:50 PHJF

The game is a young, unjaded computer programmer's wet dream.

Better?

23. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 10:42 Ant

Which games do YOU find entertaining then?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 10:33 Bhruic

21. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 09:33 PHJF

I understand the build-it yourself Lego-like mentality

20. Re: Minecraft Mod Adds Far Cry 3 Content Oct 28, 2012, 08:27 theyarecomingforyou

Sepharo wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 22:54:
Damn you really hate Minecraft. That's pretty silly.
I don't hate it, I just don't like it and I don't understand why it's so popular. The graphics are poor and the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me. In fact people seem to like it because it has bad graphics - you only have to look at mods like this one (Far Cry 3) and Skyrim to see that.

It's not that I'm a graphics whore either, as I love graphically simple arty games like Multiwinia, And Yet It Moves, Atom Zombie Smasher and Crayon Physics Deluxe. Heck, I even appreciate Terraria, although I don't think it's anything great. I just don't find Minecraft fun and think it looks terrible.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo