Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's a little distracting at the moment, as there are guys hammering on the roof as we get some flashing around the chimney repaired. We were expecting them next week, but they showed up today, and we suspect they are trying to get routine work like this out of the way, as tomorrow's hurricane is forecast to be pretty severe, so they are probably looking to clear their plate in advance of roof repairs. Naturally, we have our fingers crossed that we won't be one of their customers for that, as no one wants to have to fix their roof, much less twice within a week.

Flashy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: City Siege 4: Alien Siege.
Links: 11foot8.
Payphone Project.
Stories: China blocks NY Times over story on leader's 'hidden fortune'. Thanks HARDOCP.
Science: Weíve located the reality distortion field, and itís in the consumerís brain.
Media: Halo Meets Portal 2.
SYNC - an iPhone 4 short film.
The TOUGHEST Bridge In The World. See link above.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 29, 2012, 18:00 Mr. Tact

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 15:44:
Anyone else see Cloud Atlas? I was rather surprised how well it turned out...
The trailer left me wondering if it would be great or terrible. The reviews I've read seem mixed. I'll wait for the DVD via Netflix, currently on a movie binge, seen about 50 in the last 3 months.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2012, 13:43 nin

Acleacius wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 13:30:
Good luck, everyone on the east coast, stay safe!

Agreed - keep your heads down, folks!

In lighter news, amazon has the Band Of Brothers set on blu for $39, which is the cheapest it's been in awhile. Go!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2012, 13:30 Acleacius

Good luck, everyone on the east coast, stay safe!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2012, 11:09 xXBatmanXx

Tough week, started with an embarrassing game on Thur night.

MN(L), SD, DET, GB, NYJ, CHI, PHI, TN, NE, PIT, KC, NYG, DEN, SF

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2012, 07:38 xXBatmanXx

Was keeping an eye on Hawaii and the East Coast all night - good luck BLUE! Looks like it will be pretty nasty. Letes hope the Blue Tower doesn't suffer too much and that we can get some BN updates.....football picks comingin a couple hours.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 23:18 PHJF

No, but I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

And I don't even like sushi!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 22:44 1badmf

virtuoso piece of film making, but it... bothered me. the overarching narrative boils down to a series of coincidences, which is not a narrative at all, but cleverly disguised lack of talent. the individual stories are interesting but not worth the hand-jobbing praise its been getting.

it's not the singular work of genius some people are making it out to be, but still worth the price of admission for the cinematic experience alone.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 17:34 nin

Sepharo wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 15:45:

I want to see it and heard mostly good things. I did read an article critical of Tom Hanks though saying he couldn't pull off all the different roles/people. What'd you think?

I thought all the cast was good, but Hanks was really good. At one point, he and Berry are (without spoiling too much) using this sort of odd slang language, where, while you get some/most of the words, you kind of have to piece together what they're saying. But it works.

I would be very interested to read the book now, I'll say that. I think it's the best thing The Wachowskis have done since The (original) Matrix, although this isn't anything like it (while there's some violence, it's in no way an action movie).

If you do see it, stick around for the credits. As they introduce each actor/actress, they show all the roles they played in the movie. And while some are obvious, more than a few are surprising (due to makeup, gender, etc).

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 16:38 Hoop

http://goo.gl/LFf6Q  

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 15:45 Sepharo

I want to see it and heard mostly good things. I did read an article critical of Tom Hanks though saying he couldn't pull off all the different roles/people. What'd you think?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 15:44 nin

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 14:00 DrSquick

Good luck Blue! If it hits hard and you aren't calming your dogs, you should snap a few pics of the horizontal rain, or cows flying past your window.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 13:38 xXBatmanXx

The TOUGHEST Bridge In The World. See link above.

It isn't the BRIDGE that is strong, it is the STEEL BARRIER they put in front of it.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 12:59 Cutter

And of course Bloomberg is merely concerned it gets back to doing business as usual in China, and not the fact it's an oppressive government of the elites...wait a second, that sure sounds familiar.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 12:55 Creston

Good luck, Blue. Hope the roof will stay okay.

To everyone who's about to get hit by that hurricane, stay safe!

Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2012, 12:35 Jonathan L.

I live in Louisiana and have had many hurricane run-ins over the last 2 decades and all I can say is I hope everyone stays safe. No power and cold food is an inconvenience but when no one loses a life, every little nitpick that people have doesn't really matter.

To everyone in the path: Stay safe.

-Bob

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo