Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch

The Unknown Worlds Website has news that Natural Selection 2 will boast an additional map that's not part of the beta when the action/strategy sequel launches next week on Halloween. If that makes it sound like this map is a rush job, nothing could be farther from the truth, as they explain it "has been under construction for over two years." They offer some screenshots of the map, and detail all they had to change over the course of that time to get it into a state they are happy with. Thanks Joao.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 28, 2012, 18:45 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 09:38:
Well guess what, we have TF2 as living proof of the otherwise. The smaller, more intimate community went to fucking shit when all the f2p assholes showed up.

I'd argue that it went to shit when Valve added 500,000 different weapons and items, completely throwing the game's balance out the window.

Also, TF2's community wasn't exactly small before it went F2P. It had one of the largest communities of any PC multiplayer shooter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 28, 2012, 13:50 Armengar

mock me all you want. Lack of "combat" mode put me off NS2. If it ever gets modded in then i'll buy it. Finding a game with a reasonable commander was very hard in NS1 - even in its heyday. Trying to play commander to get better was even harder as if you werent in the clique you were voted out pretty quickly. Luckily I was pretty well entrenched in the old 187 combat servers so I had some epic games.

Result was to play the aliens and it only took a few people to take save and take onos instead of hiving and you were doomed again. At least combat was "fun" if not in the spirit of the game.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

18. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 28, 2012, 12:44 Smellfinger

TF2 went to shit when the bots and mods showed up. If you weren't playing on an official Valve server, you had no way of knowing if you were playing with actual human beings or what custom rules the server was running. NS2 won't have official Valve servers so I fully expect it to become a wasteland of stealth mods and bots soon after launch.  

17. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 28, 2012, 09:38 PHJF

Well guess what, we have TF2 as living proof of the otherwise. The smaller, more intimate community went to fucking shit when all the f2p assholes showed up.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 28, 2012, 06:36 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 23:36:
Establishing a strong community as quickly as possible is essential for multiplayer games and the $25 price tag is already a significant barrier for most consumers, especially with all the F2P competition.

Strong != large.

Most people would argue otherwise. Enjoying a multiplayer game requires the ability to consistently find other people to play with. The more people playing, the easier it is to find people to play with. Not only that, but the more people playing, the broader the range of skill levels. Small but passionate communities tend to consist of exclusively high-level players, making the game impenetrable to newbies. NS2 already has a high-level player base that has been playing the game for over a year. If the game launches and this is still the primary player base, matches are going to be incredibly one-sided and new players will likely stop playing.

15. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 27, 2012, 23:36 PHJF

Establishing a strong community as quickly as possible is essential for multiplayer games and the $25 price tag is already a significant barrier for most consumers, especially with all the F2P competition.

Strong != large.

14. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 27, 2012, 21:30 Jerykk

I'm thinking they should have a free weekend at launch and offer the game at a discount. Establishing a strong community as quickly as possible is essential for multiplayer games and the $25 price tag is already a significant barrier for most consumers, especially with all the F2P competition.  

13. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 27, 2012, 11:37 theyarecomingforyou

It seems like it has a lot of potential but performance is a little poor, in part because it doesn't support SLI. The graphics are pretty good - here are a couple of screenshots I took earlier: one; two. It's certainly improved a lot from when I first played the alpha a couple of years ago.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 27, 2012, 11:15 JaguarUSF

Fun game. Even if you don't quite understand what's going on all the time, you can still help your team out by following people and listening to the commander. Two sides are distinctive. Definitely looking forward to release day.  

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 27, 2012, 03:07 bortin

I really want the NS team to succeed, they really put their all into this project and NS2 has come together so nicely since the early beta releases. Can't wait to see their release trailer!!! The Exo Suit Trailer is awesome!

('-')y

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 22:10 Prez

I got this gifted to me after having forgotten about it years ago. Despite my general aversion to multiplayer games I HAVE to try it out now. It does look quite innovative and original.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 21:03 Linksil

Sooo excited for this one...  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 20:50 shinchan0s

Efffff PS2. Gimme NS2! So many epic moments.  

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 20:48 loomy

the best part about ns2 is you can safely assume they will update it significantly for years and for no cost. the way games used to be made.  

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 20:11 ASeven

Flatline wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 20:04:
PHJF wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 19:31:
wtf? IT'S ACTUALLY COMING OUT???

That's what I came here to say. The game has only been in development for like 10 years.

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 20:04 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 19:31:

That's what I came here to say. The game has only been in development for like 10 years.

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 20:01 Beelzebud

Looking forward to trying it. I managed to trade for the pre-order on Steam.  

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 19:44 ASeven

This game has come a long way. An ESL tournament has been announced and they have tournaments pretty much regularly already.

This game has all the potential to become a very big game in the competitive scene and in the regular gaming scene, in fact it already is and it's still in beta.

Anyone that loves asymmetrical gameplay, anyone that loves atmosphere, get this game now. This is a gem of a game.

2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 19:40 Mordecai Walfish

Can't Wait! I was a fan of Tremulous back in the day & pre-ordered this a while ago.. it's been shaping up well from the looks of things!

1. Re: Natural Selection 2 Adding Map for Next Week's Launch Oct 26, 2012, 19:31 PHJF

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo