Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. No W8 for me on desktops. Oct 27, 2012, 15:24 Ant

Tablets, OK, which was designed for but I don't use tablets.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 13:14 Dades

Metro is trash, totally bullshit with a keyboard and mouse. When people say oh I dont mind it after all because it reboots 3 seconds faster I just have to laugh. All of the stuff you like about it was already in Windows 7 except for a few incredibly minor visual improvements to task manager. The only thing that makes Metro start palatable is installing a third party app to disable it entirely, what a joke. I think expectations are just set so low that if it doesn't nuke your hard drive contents people feel its ok.

Where was that clown who kept saying how great storage spaces was? Obviously some idiot who claims to know software and hardware but doesn't know shit. Windows 8 storage spaces is a fucking disgrace. It does block-level RAID-like garbage. Make a 'pool' and your files get spread between all your hard drives in 256MB blocks.. so recovery from any one drive is totally impossible. Parity is slow as piss so that is unusable, speeds lower than fucking USB1 interfaces. No re-balancing. Just fucking worthless trash.

Windows 8 - almost as good as Windows 7

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 11:19 Reactor

You're not the only one, Steele. I really like it. It's like an improved version of 7 with a fresh lick of paint. I think the thing I like most about it is that it doesn't annoy me in small, unintentional ways like 7 did. The horrible sounds and constant Aero flicking to black during an alert just rubbed me up the wrong way. Win8 just seems much nicer in that respect.

That said, my free copy of Media Center won't install and there are a few bugs, so this is most certainly still Windows we're talking about

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 10:50 Steele Johnson

I think I'm the only one that likes the new OS. The new resource and memory management alone makes me like it better than 7. I installed it on an SSD, and boot time is like turning on a light switch. I've also downloaded an addon that gives me the start menu. But you know what? I uninstalled it and I'm just using the new interface. Once you get used to it, you realize that on a day-to-day basis, you only use about 20 apps and they're all easily accessed right on the first screen after bootup. So I really don't know what everyone is talking about. It's different, but it's really easy to use.  

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 09:21 wtf_man

Actually, in concept, I don't mind the Start Screen and App Store.

I just hate the Tile interface.

If they were going to copy apple, they just should have copied how OSX Lion integrates IOS gestures, features, and a App store (OSX Apps, not IOS Apps), instead of the fugly interface MS came up with and how they crammed it with the full desktop interface - which is extremely sloppy.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2012, 09:36.

9. Re: What is the real version number of Windows 8? Oct 27, 2012, 07:03 Reactor

I gently weep as the masses argue that I should accept a fullscreen start menu.

I think people who like the start menu are on crack, personally. The search is so broken it's painful, you can't fit much on it, and it looks as ugly as sin. On the other hand Win8's start screen allows me to lay everything out how I want (or very close to), it looks much nicer, and has a search that actually works.

This obsession people have with the crappy old start menu leaves me baffled.

8. Re: What is the real version number of Windows 8? Oct 27, 2012, 04:45 NewMaxx

jimnms wrote on Oct 27, 2012, 02:35:
Windows Vista was NT 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1 and Windows 8 is 6.2.

Which is particularly amusing because before Windows Vista came out, Microsoft reported that it intended to put out 3 versions of it staged over about 3 years apart each (which would indeed be NT 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2). So the entire concept many people have of Windows 7 being a savior to Vista or whatever is nonsense; Microsoft always intended to release these three OS's this way.

Windows Vista was intended to transition people from XP to more modern hardware, Windows 7 was intended to improve on Vista once the hardware standards were in place, and Windows 8 was intended to transition from that to mobility/ARM. The key thing to take away from this is that transitional OS revisions always get panned before becoming the standard.

7. What is the real version number of Windows 8? Oct 27, 2012, 02:35 jimnms

The author could have saved a lot of speculation and writing by just opening a Windows Explorer window, hit ALT, click Help and About Windows to see that Windows 8 is in fact Windows version 6.2.

The Windows NT code started at version 3.1. They dropped the version numbers with Windows 2000, but it was NT version 5.0. Windows XP was NT 5.1, Windows Vista was NT 6.0, Windows 7 is 6.1 and Windows 8 is 6.2. If you want to get technical about it and consider Windows NT 3.1 as NT 1.0, then Windows 8 is really Windows NT version 4.2.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 23:11 Closed Betas

don't you need sheep to herd sheep?

Is there anyone out there that is looking for a new OS? Its an OS.
I bought a copy of win7 for my xp machine 2 years ago and still have not gotten around to install it...

Its a fucking OS, MS pissed me off going to .NET years ago and cost me everything I trained in and re-invented my brain to moronville, now trying again.. no thanks.. dont need it.. ill take a bloody command line system before i move forward... quit thinking you know what i want, half your stupid desins in the past piss me off all day long trying to be smart... No thanks.. should have asked, i woulda told ya

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 22:18 eunichron

A friend gave me a copy from his MSDN account.

I just Bootcamped it on my Macbook Pro to troll myself.

It's working.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 21:12 DangerDog

being able to turn off the metro UI would be a great option...

except microsoft wants to heard the sheeple into their app store corral.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 20:20 SectorEffector

BobBob wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 20:00:
Start Menu METRO forever!

I gently weep as the masses argue that I should accept a fullscreen start menu.

All of those could have been avoided with Win RT requiring metro and Win8 having a selectable start menu or metro option.

That's the best solution to this mess I can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 20:20 NegaDeath

8 is out? Well in that case I'll hurry home and....continue to use 7.

Sorry MS, better luck with 9.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 20:00 BobBob

Start Menu forever!  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo