Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 28, 2012, 03:47 Crustacean Soup

DangerDog wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 13:34:
Boots faster? To the desktop or to a Metro UI start screen where you still need to launch the desktop as an app?

The desktop doesn't have to be "launched" exactly. It looks like it's always present once you've logged in, and Win+D or clicking the Desktop tile (or launching any Desktop shortcut) brings you to it instantly.

I like the multimonitor taskbar and all little minor improvements (task manager, ISO mounting, explorer changes, etc.). For only $40, eh, whatever. There really aren't any huge reasons to move to it though.

ASeven wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 18:38:
Even tablet owners will be hard pressed to find a good reason to go with Win8 when iOS and Android have been around for longer and have a larger user base and number of apps available.

I don't really see the utility of Windows RT (the ARM OS); it's got a tiny ecosystem compared to Android/iOS, I just don't see why I'd want to go with it.

Windows 8 on the x86 Surface, on the other hand, is something I could get behind. The x86 Surface looks to be essentially just a very portable netbook with a nice display and a touchscreen. I kind of want that. I can't really do any real work on my Android tablet, but on the other hand my laptop is too big an ungainly for me to want to take it anywhere (and I don't work on it very often since getting my degree; I don't use it as a desktop replacement).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 13:30 Ant

Learning wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 11:21:
I can't think of any reason to get windows8.
Because it is the latest version. J/K. I still use Windows XP Pro. SP3, and it works fine.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 22:03 Prez

SirKnight wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 12:26:
MS's presentations sure are boring as hell. They definitely don't have Apple's presentation abilities. MS just drones on and on while obviously trying to copy Apple but fail hard.

At least they are not as painfully embarrassing as the early E3 XBOX ones with some out of touch 30-something designer wearing a hoodie over his shirt and tie and laying down while talking trying to appear what the old people at MS think young people consider hip.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2012, 22:09.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 26, 2012, 20:07 HorrorScope

Icons on a desktop is one screen of Start buttons. Genius!  

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 20:03 Julio

Verno wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 13:01:
As someone on PA said last night "with a dull thud instead of a bang, Windows 8 launched".

I'd say it was "a plop sound" rather than a dull thud, just like the turd it is.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 19:34 DangerDog

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 18:32:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 13:46:
... it's surprising to see Microsoft raise their middle finger at Intel and decide to use an ARM processor instead of an x86 chip.

Uhh how are they raising their middle finger at Intel when only the Windows 8 RT tablets are going to use an ARM CPU while the Surface tablets with regular Windows 8 Pro will be having Intel inside all the way? Get a clue, dude.

Microsoft was founded on x86 hardware, I can't imagine that cost was the issue when making a cheap (lol $499 starting price) tablet not using an intel processor is saving them money.

I know about the pro version but this RT version of the surface is both a stab at intel dominance and an insult to consumers when you consider the price of a decent netbook is almost half that of their low end tablet.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 18:38 ASeven

I think Win8 will be a colossal disaster for MS. Why? Well, nobody, from gamers to businesses, have any reason whatsoever to upgrade. In gaming terms Win8 seems slower in average than Win7 according to the latest articles so gamers will stick with 7. For businesses and corporations there's nothing in Win8 they really want or need, anything they need is fulfilled with Windows7.

And the lockdown that MS has done on some areas of Win8 is sure to make anyone who was slightly interested ignore this OS.

There's really nothing, absolutely nothing, that Win8 can offer to anyone who has Windows7. Even tablet owners will be hard pressed to find a good reason to go with Win8 when iOS and Android have been around for longer and have a larger user base and number of apps available. Hell, some of my more cynical colleagues are saying Win8 will be more of a financial disaster than WinME was.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 18:32 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 13:46:
... it's surprising to see Microsoft raise their middle finger at Intel and decide to use an ARM processor instead of an x86 chip.

Uhh how are they raising their middle finger at Intel when only the Windows 8 RT tablets are going to use an ARM CPU while the Surface tablets with regular Windows 8 Pro will be having Intel inside all the way? Get a clue, dude.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 18:19 Beelzebud

Sticking with Win7. I see no reason to upgrade at this time.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 13:46 DangerDog

Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 13:03:
The reason to get Windows 8 is the Surface Pro.

We'll see how much of a reason that ends up being, too. But if you need a tablet you can work on, Windows 8 makes sense. If you do need one of those, bringing Windows 8 to all devices makes sense.

Otherwise, like many OSs, no reason to upgrade instead waiting until you build a new device.

People are slowly waking up to the fact that the cheaper "Surface" isn't running a normal version of Windows, it's surprising to see Microsoft raise their middle finger at Intel and decide to use an ARM processor instead of an x86 chip. There's no reason why they couldn't have come out with an affordable tablet that also acts like a laptop. They even put a trackpad looking device on the keyboard cover to trick people into thinking it's capable of running real applications and not just the sesame street UI ones.

I think the pro will be a flop as well, late to the party, over priced and under powered.

I'd get one of these if using a PC as a tablet is important to you.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/convertibles/

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 13:34 DangerDog

The few that I can think of are rather insignificant, new task manager, ability to play traffic cop with file copies - you can pause one and let another complete faster, ability to have different images on multimonitor desktop backgrounds. Some people keep saying it's faster but I haven't seen any benchmarks to back that claim up, just look at the gaming performance in that Radeon test. Boots faster? To the desktop or to a Metro UI start screen where you still need to launch the desktop as an app?

There may be more technical behind the scenes stuff that's improved, mostly for people running newer hardware. I think there's some stuff in there for SSD that's suppose to be an improvement.

Not interested in using it even if I were to get it for free, no reason to switch from a perfectly stable version 7 to a version of windows with countless headaches and most likely problematic driver support for older devices. I already know of one game in my library that supposedly doesn't work with Win8, doubtful that developers will fix older games that flat out refuse to run.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 13:03 Beamer

The reason to get Windows 8 is the Surface Pro.

We'll see how much of a reason that ends up being, too. But if you need a tablet you can work on, Windows 8 makes sense. If you do need one of those, bringing Windows 8 to all devices makes sense.

Otherwise, like many OSs, no reason to upgrade instead waiting until you build a new device.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 13:01 Verno

There isn't one, that's the biggest problem its facing. This was pushed out in a hurry to try to keep up with Apple. Most of the minor improvements are overshadowed by annoyance and failed interoperability with Metro and the Desktop. They really needed to cultivate some better internal apps too, the defaults are really poor quality for what should be flagship standards that others improve on.

As someone on PA said last night "with a dull thud instead of a bang, Windows 8 launched".

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 12:43 Beamer

SirKnight wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 12:26:
MS's presentations sure are boring as hell. They definitely don't have Apple's presentation abilities. MS just drones on and on while obviously trying to copy Apple but fail hard.

If they were trying to copy Apple they'd be more successful at it.

Some site had a link that showed the difference between the two yesterday. Apple is one person standing holding one product. The camera is zoomed in on the product, and that's on the screen behind.

Microsoft is one or more people with five or forty products.

It's somewhat the nature of the beast, given that Apple is only Apple products and Microsoft needs to showcase hardware from many companies at once, but it's really not easy to get excited about, especially when the hardware is fighting really hard to differentiate itself but instead either all looks the same or all looks the same but some is made out of crappier materials.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 12:26 SirKnight

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 11:21 Learning

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern weather or not they are genuine"-Abraham Lincoln

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo