Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well it turned out the mea culpa I offered the other day accepting partial responsibility for the haywire advertising here was incorrect: Our ad provider told me that some older code from another source was at fault for the takeover ad some were experiencing, but after apologizing to you and looking into this, I found this to not be the case, so it was entirely on them. As you may have noticed, we've been running ad-free since then, as I removed all those codes once it became clear they were not able to determine the source of the issue. I have some new ad codes to insert from a provider we have worked with in the past, and though I don't anticipate any problems with these, please do let me know if they cause any once they go up. And once again, allow me to thank those of you willing to put up with this, as I know that this is the only site whitelisted on many of your ad-blockers. Hopefully this is the last of all this for the time being.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Haunted Halloween.
Stories: NYC officer arrested in ghoulish kidnap plot.
"Hobbit" Is 160mins. Might need to add another movie.
Science: CHAMP - lights out. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: First Look- iPad Mini. Thanks VideoSift.
Gigantic Gollum Installation.
Bath or Walk?
The Funnies: Brevity.
Zombie Memory Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 22:13 Prez

Jivaro wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 11:06:
InBlack wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:48:
LOL @ Hobbit's length. How exactly did he manage to squeeze three movies out of that book is beyond me. Although with Legolas on board (who never made one appearance in Tolkien's Hobbit) maybe there is going to be some hot elven sex scenes and shit. Yeah! Right on!

In any case we are all going to go and watch it regardless.

Appendices. That is how they made 3 movies out of it. Still might be a stretch/money grab...but that is where the material is coming from in addition to the book. (at least that is what I remember reading in an interview with Jackson about a year ago)

I heard that and when I did I felt instantly assured that this could work. Tolkien wrote some ridiculously deep backstory into his Middle Earth universe, some of which sounded so interesting that they sounded like they could have been books unto themselves.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. CHAMP Oct 26, 2012, 16:29 jdreyer

Wow, so you could just fly drones over a city and knock out all the electronics? Interesting implications for future wars, for sure.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 16:20 Hoop

A couple of days back a person posting on the ad problem was one being an ad for win an ipad or iphone, I would'nt mind betting he downloaded the free Black Mesa game.
I went to download it & got tangled up in that aggressive ad shit for the same offer & it pissed me off so much I just bailed, it looked borderline scam to me. I know a lot of people must have downloaded Black Mesa but who gave them all their info just to be in to win an ipad or iphone.

Um .. Behind you...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 14:59 Sepharo

Sorry to say that I had Bluesnew's ads blocked for the past few months to speed up page loads.
I whitelisted today and as soon as I did got an immediate redirect to here (image).

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 14:54 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:57:
He plotted to kidnap one of the women and asked for $5000 to do so. That is a federal crime, not a fantasy. He also used local and federal databases to look up information on the women which is also a crime (albeit one many cops commit on a daily basis).

Yeah I'm normally one of the first people to jump in on a "defense of the indefensible" when it comes to free speech but using the public safety databases and discussing money like that easily puts it in the realm of serious criminal liability.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 14:37 mch

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 13:28:

Frodo is in the beginning as a flash back, where Bilbo is telling him the story.

Yeah, I thought about it a bit after posting and realized that's the only possible way that would make sense.

PSN: CaseDesignate

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 14:23 Acleacius

Batten down the hatches, Blue! Frankenstorm is coming to the east coast!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 14:06 Cutter

Who watches the watchers. Time for NYC to seriously reassess their psych evaluations.

That aside...what's going on with the pups, Blue? Haven't heard any tales about Huddy and the Gunnar-man in a while.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 13:47 Mordecai Walfish

crypto wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 12:54:
Every few months you should mention something about white listing adblock

Agreed! I just reformatted a couple months ago and had forgotten to whitelist blues on Adblock+ and allow everything through noscript for your site..

Fixed and Fixed.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 13:40 Creston

Had no problem with it, but kudos for taking so long to try to figure it out, Blue.

I just wish some of these ad providers worked a bit quicker (to download stuff). the ads alone put like a 20-30 second delay on the main page for me

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 13:28 Agent.X7

Blue: Site loads the news much faster now. Before it was loading all the ads, then I got to watch them for 30 seconds before the news actually populated. A bit annoying, but this is my #1 game news source, so it's not like it would drive me away.

The Hobbit:
Look things up before you judge. The movies are NOT just based on the book The Hobbit. They are also based on the appendices of the Lord of the Rings books, in which many things are written about that happened during the time frame of The Hobbit, as well as after the book ends and before The Fellowship of the Ring. If you read The Hobbit, you know that Gandalf disappears midway through and shows up again at the end. Peter jackson included the story of where Gandalf went. (To fight the Lich)

Legolas was absolutely around during this time, as the elves are immortal and he was the son of the Wood Elf king in the book. He's not mentioned in The Hobbit, but it's kind of a no-brainer that he'd be around.

Frodo is in the beginning as a flash back, where Bilbo is telling him the story.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 12:54 crypto

Every few months you should mention something about white listing adblock  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 11:06 Jivaro

InBlack wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:48:
LOL @ Hobbit's length. How exactly did he manage to squeeze three movies out of that book is beyond me. Although with Legolas on board (who never made one appearance in Tolkien's Hobbit) maybe there is going to be some hot elven sex scenes and shit. Yeah! Right on!

Appendices. That is how they made 3 movies out of it. Still might be a stretch/money grab...but that is where the material is coming from in addition to the book. (at least that is what I remember reading in an interview with Jackson about a year ago)

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 11:05 Jivaro

If you have Civ 5 but not Gods & Kings, Gamersgate is running a promo today in honor of it's Golden Joystick award.

Enter the code "CIV5GK-GOLDEN-JOYSTICK" at checkout and get it for ~20 bucks instead of ~30.

I believe the promo is only good for today. Poor timing for me personally, too much other stuff to play at the moment and Black Friday/Christmas sales on the way, but maybe someone else here will use it.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 11:00 mch

Uhh wait, Frodo is going to be in The Hobbit too? I'm not sure which is worse.  
PSN: CaseDesignate

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 10:57 Verno

He plotted to kidnap one of the women and asked for $5000 to do so. That is a federal crime, not a fantasy. He also used local and federal databases to look up information on the women which is also a crime (albeit one many cops commit on a daily basis).  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 10:52 InBlack

About that hellish ghoulish kidnap plot. Could it be that this guy simply has sick fantasies that he acted out in his head and on sick online chat sites (?WTF?) If he never harmed anyone or even attempted to harm anyone what exactly did they arrest him for? Im not defending him or anything but I was fucking downright sadistic on the web many a times towards certain wankers and would that make me elligible for arrest???  

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 10:48 nin

NYC officer arrested in ghoulish kidnap plot.

That is so fucked up, I don't know where to start...

And yea for The Hobbit. Can't wait for that one!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2012, 10:48 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo