Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Turbine Layoffs

The Boston Globe has news of layoffs at Turbine, developer of Dungeons and Dragons Online and The Lord of the Rings Online, among other games. An unspecified number of jobs were lost as a result, said to be part of a larger round of cuts at parent company Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Thanks VG247.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 27, 2012, 13:11 Ant

BobBob wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 14:42:
Only a fool will work for others and complain about layoffs. Start your own business, become an artist, or a contractor. Take charge of your own life and financial destiny.
What about fringe benefits and stuff? Don't forget the crazy taxes and responsibilities.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 26, 2012, 20:09 HorrorScope

BobBob wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 14:42:
Only a fool will work for others and complain about layoffs. Start your own business, become an artist, or a contractor. Take charge of your own life and financial destiny.

And think if we all were the boss, there could be no corporations. There also could be nothing more then you could do. I bet it would be a much safer place and much less technical. Genius!

I would love to just become an artist, but my stick figures are even repulsive. I wish I could just be... anything.

17. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 14:42 BobBob

16. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 13:48 Reikon

wtf_man wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:00:
Reikon wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 09:51:
Blackhawk wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 22:44:
Stimpack wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:47:
*edit* and I meant no kidding as in they need to bring on AC II.

III?

No, there needs to be a 2.

There was a 2... it failed... they shut it down.

But the reason it failed, as far as most AC 1 fans are concerned - including myself, was because 2 wasn't really a sequel... it was a completely different game with the name AC 2.

So, yes... they need to make a TRUE AC 2, but I'm not sure if that would be a success in this day and age. If they put a little GW2 mix in it (AC 1 with Modern Graphics Engine, and reward everyone for kills / let everyone revive, like GW2 )... they might have something that would be marketable... especially if Turbine comes out the gate with F2P, like GW2.

I know the emoticon is pretty hard to decipher, but my text when you quote me clearly shows a wink.

15. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 13:11 Axis

DDO is the only decently profitable game for Turbine.  

Yours truly,

Axis

14. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 12:38 Ceribaen

wtf_man wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:00:

III?

But the reason it failed, as far as most AC 1 fans are concerned - including myself, was because 2 wasn't really a sequel... it was a completely different game with the name AC 2.

So, yes... they need to make a TRUE AC 2, but I'm not sure if that would be a success in this day and age. If they put a little GW2 mix in it (AC 1 with Modern Graphics Engine, and reward everyone for kills / let everyone revive, like GW2 )... they might have something that would be marketable... especially if Turbine comes out the gate with F2P, like GW2.

My personal thought on the failure was that they were stuck in trying to achieve some DAoC design goals, while keeping too PvE friendly - making it a hybrid of DAoC and EQ.

They had a three faction global war... but there was no real point to it. You couldn't take over/modify control points. The world pretty much turned into an easy mode Everquest with cinematics.

So AC fans were turned off, DAoC fans were turned off, and EQ addicts didn't look away long enough to decide if it was for them or not.

They did well with DDO after it went F2P though, and LOTRO was fun until they started toying with core character class mechanics since release to try to tweak raid difficulty (Captains having their intercept ability nerfed to make the Moria squid raid and others upcoming harder) - and pass it off as a 'this was not working as intended'.

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 26, 2012, 10:40 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:39:
Wildone wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:04:
LOL All WB Is good for is buying studios then laying off the staff!

We're all doomed, they are calling Apple's latest quarterly report disappointing. They had 36 billion in revenue (for a 1/4!) and a profit of 8 billion from that. Profits up 24% from a year ago, rev. up as well. Amazing, freaking amazing to me.

But THEY are calling this disappointing. Face it with Wall Street running the show, it's just a matter of time for this thing blows. To make those vampires happy you have to continue to grow and when you can't at the clip they want, sucking bastards... Then companies that make mint still, have to start laying off people to make up the difference. The problem is two fold, eventually after those cuts are done, fast-forward a few quarters later and those bloodsuckers will want further growth and what do you do now? We've sent 1/2 the jobs to China, we cut everything we could, what is left? End game. We are not reproducing enough as a species to have this sustained growth forever for what these blood drinkers need to survive.

I work for a company making ~500 million profit a quarter, they've seen as good a profits as they ever had and they are gearing up for a round of layoffs to satisfy Wall Street as they recently announced directly in a shareholders meeting.

Today when they send you an email about change, you fear to open it, it's always a cut, where when we profited less say 10 years ago, these broadcasts were to give us "perks", I honestly don't know what I did wrong this past decade to have them be so disapointed with us.

Ever since the 2008 crash which my house lost 60% of it's worth (about 300K lost), these companies are just squeezing and squeezing. This thing is double edge sword, it gives me less buying power to support all these companies making things, so they get less growth, so we spiral for know good reason. There must be some devil somewhere loving this, that's the bastard we need to find.

Dude, the solution to all of this is to cut taxes on the rich.

Step 1: Reduce taxes on the rich
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Increased employment!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 26, 2012, 10:39 HorrorScope

Wildone wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 10:04:

We're all doomed, they are calling Apple's latest quarterly report disappointing. They had 36 billion in revenue (for a 1/4!) and a profit of 8 billion from that. Profits up 24% from a year ago, rev. up as well. Amazing, freaking amazing to me.

But THEY are calling this disappointing. Face it with Wall Street running the show, it's just a matter of time for this thing blows. To make those vampires happy you have to continue to grow and when you can't at the clip they want, sucking bastards... Then companies that make mint still, have to start laying off people to make up the difference. The problem is two fold, eventually after those cuts are done, fast-forward a few quarters later and those bloodsuckers will want further growth and what do you do now? We've sent 1/2 the jobs to China, we cut everything we could, what is left? End game. We are not reproducing enough as a species to have this sustained growth forever for what these blood drinkers need to survive.

I work for a company making ~500 million profit a quarter, they've seen as good a profits as they ever had and they are gearing up for a round of layoffs to satisfy Wall Street as they recently announced directly in a shareholders meeting.

Today when they send you an email about change, you fear to open it, it's always a cut, where when we profited less say 10 years ago, these broadcasts were to give us "perks", I honestly don't know what I did wrong this past decade to have them be so disapointed with us.

Ever since the 2008 crash which my house lost 60% of it's worth (about 300K lost), these companies are just squeezing and squeezing. This thing is double edge sword, it gives me less buying power to support all these companies making things, so they get less growth, so we spiral for know good reason. There must be some devil somewhere loving this, that's the bastard we need to find.

11. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 10:08 Ravor

I agree, make a REAL Asherons Call 2.
Follow the skill system, loot system, etc from AC1 and you've got a win.

10. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 10:04 Wildone

9. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 10:00 wtf_man

III?

8. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 26, 2012, 09:51 Reikon

III?

7. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 25, 2012, 23:51 wtf_man

Looks like Ken Rolston got newly hired by to the right company... after leaving Bethesda for 38 Studios.

Cheers to teh canceled project he gets to design and envision at Turdbind.

6. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 25, 2012, 23:06 {PH}88fingers

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:45:
Well, good as those games are they're damn old. Time for a new Asheron's Call. You hearing me Turbine?

+1 - AC DT server still holds that special place in my heart; can't remember how many hours I spent in Heiromancers Halls, destroying umbris and killing any group of players who dared try to take my dungeon!!

It's a shame the bots ruined it, cuz game was pretty f*ckin amazing.

5. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 25, 2012, 22:44 Blackhawk

III?

4. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 25, 2012, 22:43 Umbragen

But did they have to cut the guy fixing Rohan's client side crashes?

3. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 25, 2012, 22:39 BobBob

Stop having children people. You are destroying the job market.  

2. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 25, 2012, 20:47 Stimpack

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:45:
Well, good as those games are they're damn old. Time for a new Asheron's Call. You hearing me Turbine?

No kidding. Sucks that people are out of work, though.

1. Re: Turbine Layoffs Oct 25, 2012, 20:45 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo