Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced

The Bethesda Blog outlines plans for new content for Dishonored, announcing an add-on called Dunwall City Trials coming in December, while also stating we can expect two more add-ons for Arkane's stealth/action game next year:

Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials, being released in December for $4.99 (or 400 Microsoft Points), will include 10 challenge maps that will test and track your combat, stealth and mobility skills. Ten distinct trials await challengers – including an arena battle against waves of enemy AI, a gravity-defying run of drop assassinations, and a race against the clock. Dunwall City Trials also features a whole new set of achievements and trophies as well as a global online leaderboard that will establish the greatest assassins for each challenge.

The second and third add-ons for Dishonored will be coming in 2013 and will each feature story-driven campaigns. Pricing on these two packs will be revealed closer to launch.

Daud, the leader of a group of supernatural assassins known as ‘The Whalers’, will be the focus of the second add-on pack, scheduled for release in early Spring 2013. Make your way through new Dunwall locales and discover Daud’s own set of weapons, powers and gadgets in this story-driven campaign. How you play and the choices you make will impact the final outcome…

Additional story details on the third add-on pack will be revealed closer to its launch next year.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 27, 2012, 04:24 Jerykk

ShakaUVM wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 05:33:
I love the game. The only issue I have is that there's precisely one tool for the stealthy approach... all the other weapons in the game are lethal.

Ditto with the powers. 75% of the powers are pointless if you're going for a bloodless victory.

Given how much they want to emphasize stealth, I'm surprised all the options are for different ways of killing people.

You can teleport, pause time, see through walls and possess things. All of those abilities make stealth significantly easier. You can also pick up and throw objects (or use your weapons) to make noise and distract enemies. I'm not sure what else you need to be stealthy. I guess they could give you invisibility as well but that would be pretty boring.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 26, 2012, 12:13 Verno

The only disappointment I had is that the Outsider and his motivations were never fully explained.

I can't remember where I found it in-game but I found a book that hinted that the Spoiler The Outsider was a whale who appears to humans to influence their impact on their species, something akin to being their god. I thought it was really interesting because the game dances around the use of whale oil as a property but the citizenry seem largely ignorant of the creatures themselves.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

33. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 26, 2012, 09:20 nin

ShakaUVM wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 05:33:
I love the game. The only issue I have is that there's precisely one tool for the stealthy approach... all the other weapons in the game are lethal.

Ditto with the powers. 75% of the powers are pointless if you're going for a bloodless victory.

Given how much they want to emphasize stealth, I'm surprised all the options are for different ways of killing people.

I've seen that mentioned in a couple of reviews, and it is annoying.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 26, 2012, 05:33 ShakaUVM

31. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 23:25 Jerykk

The whole point of sandbox games is to let the player play the way they want to play. I choose to be stealthy because I like being stealthy, not because I'm forced to be stealthy. In fact, I choose to avoid killing or incapacitating anyone whenever possible because I enjoy the added challenge. If a game is open-ended enough to allow me to set my own rules, I see that as a good thing.

As for story, I found it very interesting, particularly the lore. I read every book and note I could find, eavesdropped on every conversation and listened to every audio log. These things did a great job of fleshing out the setting and characters. The only disappointment I had is that the Outsider and his motivations were never fully explained. I'd love to see another game in this setting.

If you thought the game was too easy, you should do the following:

1) Never be seen.
2) Never kill or incapacitate anyone unless absolutely necessary.
3) Find and read every note, book and audiolog.
4) Collect every piece of loot.
5) Play on the highest difficulty setting.

If you can do all five and still think the game is too easy, you must be the best gamer ever.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2012, 23:34.

30. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 22:06 John

Yakubs wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:19:
Revenge is only meaningful when you care about the character and you care about their motivation for the revenge. In this game, your character has no personality and has no voice so you only care about your own character because you're playing him. Again, no substance.
Did you feel the same about the silent protagonist in Half Life?

This space is available for rent

29. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 21:16 Orogogus

^mortis^ wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:55:
completely agreed with Yakub. it was entertaining, but Assassin's Creed and The Dark Mod both do what this game set out to do better.

it's certainly not BAD, but neither is it the second coming of stealth/action.

kinda funny that the most thoughtful and intelligent comment on these boards in a long time that exhibits no poor grammar or childish insults is called a troll. sign of the times...

Not really. The rebuttals seem solid. Yakubs' two points are 1) the game doesn't give you incentive to play stealth or Rambo; 2) he doesn't care about the plot, partially because of the silent protagonist and partly because he says "Why should I care?" to everything that happens in the game. If I'm oversimplifying, how?

The rebuttal to the first is that the motivation to play one way or the other should be coming from the player, and that a game that allows multiple pathways is generally better one that artificially rewards or punishes the player for not doing what the designers want (something you see all the time in video games).

And the second is basically a lot of words for something extremely subjective. People are allowed to not like a game's plot, but unless you want cutscenes where your character spouts one-liners (and a lot of people do), there's nothing that the game does particularly badly in the storyline department.

28. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 20:55 ^mortis^

completely agreed with Yakub. it was entertaining, but Assassin's Creed and The Dark Mod both do what this game set out to do better.

it's certainly not BAD, but neither is it the second coming of stealth/action.

kinda funny that the most thoughtful and intelligent comment on these boards in a long time that exhibits no poor grammar or childish insults is called a troll. sign of the times...

27. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 19:35 Agent.X7

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 18:31:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:23:
Geez, how did I miss adding such an obvious troll to my ignore list?

Fixed.

Obvious troll? I see him discussing his views of the game coherently and going back and forth with verno, how is that trolling?
anyone who doesn't agree with your game love is a troll?

His arguments make any sort of sense? Maybe if you are taking a course on existentialism.

Why should I be stealthy? Why should I care about this world?

Think about it this way: Battlefield gives me a grenade launcher. But WHY should I use that over the rifle, when it kills just as well? Oh, sure, I mean, you can blow up walls, but why SHOULD you?

It's a troll argument.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 18:43 Ray Marden

Great game - it has some rough edges, but it puts to shame a lot of the garbage out there and parts of it make me wonder if I just played the closest thing I could (in today's world) to a Thief game.

I don't know why they are bothering with the challenge pack, but I will definitely look into the story packs if they have a sufficient story to price ratio.

There are some things that prevent it from being a 10+ "perfect" game, most of which have previously been mentioned, but it's such a nice world, something differint from the generic shooter, and it actually lets the player, well, play the game how they want.
On top of everything else, it sucks that the levels are sized for consoles.
Thinking it is one of the top five games I played this year,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

25. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 18:41 RailWizard

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 18:31:

Fixed.

Obvious troll? I see him discussing his views of the game coherently and going back and forth with verno, how is that trolling?

This is BN SoP now.

24. No subject Oct 25, 2012, 18:31 {PH}88fingers

Fixed.

23. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 16:16 Bhruic

That's exactly my point. There is no good reason to choose stealth beyond extraneous things like the achievements, storyline or your "chaos score." It's just down to personal preference which means the incentives in the game are completely wrong.

You're confusing stealth with lethality. You can play stealthily and still kill everyone you run across.

As for the "incentive" to play non-lethally, why should the game do that? The advantage of a game like this is that it doesn't force any particular playstyle on you. If you enjoy being sneaky, and not killing anyone you can do that. If you enjoy being sneaky and killing everyone you can do that too. If you enjoy run-and-gun, you can do that. The game does a decent (but not perfect) job of making all such options viable.

If you want to do a good job with the choice of stealth vs. combat you have to make the player choose and the choice must have a consequence. In Dishonored, there is no GAMEPLAY consequence for choosing stealth. If you get discovered, you can still easily defend yourself. If you choose to play as Rambo, there is no gameplay consequence for deciding to temporarily stealth through a level. It's still easy. Basically, from almost the very beginning of the game, you are BOTH a stealth and combat god. You pick one based on a whim, not based on the challenges presented to you.

Well, unless you are playing on Easy, this is simply not true. It's very easy to get swarmed by guards and very easy to die - especially on the hardest difficulty level.

But what you seem to be saying is that you want the game to artificially force you to only be able to play in a specific fashion. The idea is to allow you to pick how you want to play rather than have the game pigeon hole you.

Revenge is only meaningful when you care about the character and you care about their motivation for the revenge. In this game, your character has no personality and has no voice so you only care about your own character because you're playing him. Again, no substance. The motives for your revenge are presented quickly and superficially. The NPCs are not fleshed out at all so why should I care about them either?

In general I don't prefer the "silent protagonist" approach myself, as it breaks my immersion (HL2 still bugs me for that reason). However, your complaint here strikes me as nitpicking. How much motivation are we ever presented with in games like this? How much motivation did we have in the various Hitman games? How much in the Thief series? How much in Bioshock? What motivates the player is the desire to play the game, so trying to contrive some excessive motivation for the character is relatively pointless.

And for the record, I was pretty bummed out when the Empress was killed, and I did care about rescuing Emily, so the motivation worked fine for me. Although the "twist" was pretty damn obvious, and I actually said outloud "gee, I wonder if there's poison in that cup?" when they handed it to me.

A great fantasy story is a story that could not happen in any other world/setting AND it leverages this unique setting to shine a light on a topic that applies to the real world. Dishonored fails at both of these metrics.

And now I know you are nitpicking. By all means, provide some examples of games that "shine a light on a topic that applies to the real world". Games are designed for entertainment. Expecting some social commentary from them really is excessively silly.

22. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:42 Yakubs

Fixed.

Yes, please, don't ever let anybody shake your faith. Today's AAA gaming is the best the industry has to offer, obviously.

I don't know what universe the storyline is considered "extraneous" but whatever.

I thought I was being pretty clear that the storyline is extraneous to the gameplay itself. You have a choice between using two extremely distinct gameplay systems and the only consequence of that choice is how the storyline plays out. This is pretty clearly a massive missed opportunity.

21. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:32 Verno

That's exactly my point. There is no good reason to choose stealth beyond extraneous things like the achievements, storyline or your "chaos score." It's just down to personal preference which means the incentives in the game are completely wrong.

I don't know what universe the storyline is considered "extraneous" but whatever. I disagree with your whole assessment, I actually played on very hard and found stealth to be the safer, preferable approach in most situations. I don't see what's wrong with the game being accommodating to play style and I don't think the player should be forced into one or the other arbitrarily just as some means of challenge per se. Many times I don't think I would have survived without a ton of save scumming, facing off against 8+ guards even with powers.

Revenge is only meaningful when you care about the character and you care about their motivation for the revenge. In this game, your character has no personality and has no voice so you only care about your own character because you're playing him. Again, no substance. The motives for your revenge are presented quickly and superficially. The NPCs are not fleshed out at all so why should I care about them either?

I don't want to drop big spoilers here but again, I don't agree at all. Your character is silent to allow you to immerse yourself in either approach to the game. Some people don't like the silent NPC choice, some people do, it's definitely not for everyone. Some of the supporting characters need to be fleshed out more but the story actually had a fair bit of nuance to it. Several of the major relationships in the game are only hinted at without some exploration, which is rewarded with more detail. If people want to discuss specifics then cool, I just avoid using them here as the invisible spoiler tags are too easily moused over.

If you didn't personally like it then whatever but I think both the story and setting were fairly well executed.

20. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:26 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 12:07:
Story-driven campaigns: Fuck and yes.

Trial pack: meh.

But I'm sure there are plenty of people who relish the idea of challenge maps, so to each their own.

Creston

The only games where I have liked the challenge map type DLC is the Batman AA and AC games. Had I not gotten a couple of them for free with the first game (pre-order) I probably would not have even found out I liked them. I generally avoid non-story driven stuff.

As such, I will be interested to see what people think of all of the DLC for this game. I will most likely not be buying it until there is like a GOTY bundle or across the board discount...so it will be nice to hear what people think of some of that stuff since the feedback on the actual game has been really positive for the most part. I only have one friend who disliked it, most of my friends think I am nuts for waiting on buying it. My problem is that I just have too much to play right now and not enough time. Its a good problem to have. I haven't made it to XCOM or BL2 yet either. Sadly

19. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:23 Agent.X7

Fixed.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:19 Yakubs

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:02:
Beyond the obvious player preference, there are various moments in the game that play out differently depending on whether you have high chaos or low chaos. Also there's the ending which changes as well.

If you want to do a good job with the choice of stealth vs. combat you have to make the player choose and the choice must have a consequence. In Dishonored, there is no GAMEPLAY consequence for choosing stealth. If you get discovered, you can still easily defend yourself. If you choose to play as Rambo, there is no gameplay consequence for deciding to temporarily stealth through a level. It's still easy. Basically, from almost the very beginning of the game, you are BOTH a stealth and combat god. You pick one based on a whim, not based on the challenges presented to you.

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:02:
I'm not sure what you're looking for here, it was a pretty well executed story about the pursuit of revenge told against a larger conflict backdrop. Some of the characters could have been more fleshed out, that was my biggest complaint. It's not a perfect game but it's a really solid original effort.

The setting of Dunwall certainly had a lot of effort put into it. But why? To what end? A good fantasy story is a story that COULD NOT HAPPEN in any other world/setting. This game's setting is just there because someone thought it was cool. The story does not need the setting. The only thing that needs a fantasy setting is the superpowers, most of which, really, could have been removed from the game with little effect.

A great fantasy story is a story that could not happen in any other world/setting AND it leverages this unique setting to shine a light on a topic that applies to the real world. Dishonored fails at both of these metrics.

17. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 15:02 Verno

Yakubs wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 14:22:
Incredibly overrated game. It's just another ego-stimulator with high budget art design.

Stealth is incredibly easy on a fundamental level. There is no light/shadow system and guards frequently ignore you even though you're two feet away. Despite Stealth being easy, you are given superpowers to make it even easier! Combat is also incredibly easy as well, also thanks to ridiculous superpowers. Note that both routes are face-palm easy even on the hardest difficulty setting!

I believe shadow reduces characters detection radius but I'll have to double check tonight. I didn't really miss the traditional "shadows = invisible" model personally, I thought the games stealth system was fine. Don't agree with the combat statement at all. Guards are pretty lethal on the highest difficulty, you have to be pretty careful about fighting more than one at a time even with the powers.

Why would I choose to sneak around when I can just genocide everyone? The only reason to is if you want to be stealthy just for the sake of it. But if you are detected and forced to fight, there is no danger. No danger because combat is incredibly easy. So, in effect, you are being stealthy in order to get a little achievement on the score screen at the end of the mission. This makes stealth feel completely devoid of tension, which is literally the opposite of what stealth should be like.

Beyond the obvious player preference, there are various moments in the game that play out differently depending on whether you have high chaos or low chaos. Also there's the ending which changes as well.

And then the much vaunted "story" and "world building." Why did they create this story and this world? What's the purpose? Even if you read/listen to every possible piece of lore in the game, you learn virtually nothing. If you want to stretch it, you could propose that the game has something to say about killing whales. You'd have to REALLY want to stretch it though.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, it was a pretty well executed story about the pursuit of revenge told against a larger conflict backdrop. Some of the characters could have been more fleshed out, that was my biggest complaint. It's not a perfect game but it's a really solid original effort.

16. Re: Three Dishonored Add-ons Announced Oct 25, 2012, 14:57 John

Yakubs wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 14:22:
Why did they create this story and this world? What's the purpose?

This world exists because some dude got paid to make it up, not because the designers/writers had something to say.
I think most any game based in a fictional world was just made up. It's a cool setting so that's why. As for the story, if that's not good then I wouldn't know because I haven't played it yet.

This space is available for rent

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo