Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

0x10c Multiplayer Footage

Markus 'Notch' Persson conducted some multiplayer testing of 0x10c live on TwitchTV, offering a look at Mojang's upcoming space game in action. The live stream is over, but the recording of the session is available for your perusal, showing first-person shooter combat in an indoor environment. Thanks VG247.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 21:51 Prez

Fantaz wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 05:55:
since when have indie games been about gfx? come on...

Indie games have started to become graphically impressive in many cases. But more to the point, a low (or non-existent) graphics budget doesn't mean a game has to be ugly. I am withholding judgement on this because of it being in its infancy, but I don't really have much hope considering how ugly Minecraft is. Terraria on the other hand looked nice with its retro 2D sprites.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 10:10 netnerd85

Fantaz wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 05:55:
Indeed, but when have GAMES been about the graphics? It's ALL about GAMEPLAY!

Graphics are just nice.

25. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 07:49 Beamer

I wouldn't even say he put multiplayer or FPS in early because they're important, so much as it's just what makes sense.

When you're building something it's tedious until you can walk around and interact with it. I will not claim to be some kind of great programmer, but in my early 20s I did make a few different rendering engines (very rudimentary.) It's not fun work until you implement walking and interactions. Suddenly you can do something. When you code something new you can compile it and see it immediately. That's when coding an engine becomes thrilling.

So Notch created some boring gameplay, but it isn't the actual heart of the game, it's him running around so he has something to do in his new engine.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 07:04 Krizzen

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 17:33:
Things you do when you make a game:
1) Build an engine that can render
2) Make it so that you can walk in the world
3) Make it so you can shoot
4) Make something to shoot at

This. I hate to say it, but most people are too dumb to realize games don't make themselves. They don't all start out looking like your latest and greatest CoD cookie cutter turd. Games require an underlying engine to drive the gameplay, and apparently Notch decided the first person element to be the most important aspect. Also, I'm glad he decided to IMMEDIATELY implement multiplayer.

As an example, Minecraft didn't begin with an engine intended for a lot of complex multiplayer elements besides adding and removing blocks. This time around, Notch will be building the engine from the ground up with multiplayer support in mind, so it won't be limited like Minecraft. The minecart, for example, can't even play a looping sound while moving. Notch has said the new engine won't impose such ridiculous limitations.

As far as the graphics go, Mojang isn't noted for high def, realistic graphics. I'm not sure why anyone expected anything else. You guys do know that Notch created Minecraft, right? Here's what Minecraft looks like, in case you have no clue WTF is going on in the art department.

23. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 06:34 CommunistHamster

We've had space games forever, but this adds the one crucial feature that loads of people have been clamouring for: walking around inside your ship. Simple, even completely irrelevant to most of the game maybe, but people want it because that's how you get the feeling of being a person flying a spaceship.  

22. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 05:55 Fantaz

21. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 26, 2012, 05:15 Fibrocyte

The graphics are two times better than minecraft. Notch must be evolving.  

20. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 20:48 Fion

It's alpha, and obviously 'very' early footage where about the only thing that works is the shooting heh. So I'll reserver judgement until at least we see the first beta.

Though I do agree, Star Citizen looks better, so does Starbound.

19. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 19:48 Rea1One

This game will never be as great as Star Citizen  

18. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 19:37 StrickNine

finally, a game that my pentium II with mmx technology can sink its teeth into  

17. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 18:35 Gocows

Hopefully 3DFx-support will be patched in.  

16. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 17:33 Jackplug

wow, amazing gfx. I wonder if hes gonna do a dx11 version?!?!  

15. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 17:33 Beamer

finga wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 17:01:
I'm sure he realizes this game looks stupid as hell right now, but still, I see a problem: he's built something like a one-weapon Quake clone, which gets pretty damn far away from what he described when he announced the game. Where is all the discovering new planets? Programming your computer? Movement in space with your ship?

Plus, I'm not really sure what I'm seeing as far as innovation here; so far, he has less gameplay in this than QTest did. I just hope that he's only doing this a part of building his own game engine in C++ and at some point will start building the game he originally planned to make.

Things you do when you make a game:
1) Build an engine that can render
2) Make it so that you can walk in the world
3) Make it so you can shoot
4) Make something to shoot at

He is nowhere near anything now. He's done maybe 5% of the game. But that 5% just happens to be a room he can run around, shoot, and shoot someone. I don't see an issue here, just think if you were a game developer. The first thing you'd want to do when building the engine is run around in it. The next thing you'd want to do is something fun. That doesn't mean it's the core of the game, it's just something to do to prove that your engine is functioning.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 17:01 finga

I'm sure he realizes this game looks stupid as hell right now, but still, I see a problem: he's built something like a one-weapon Quake clone, which gets pretty damn far away from what he described when he announced the game. Where is all the discovering new planets? Programming your computer? Movement in space with your ship?

Plus, I'm not really sure what I'm seeing as far as innovation here; so far, he has less gameplay in this than QTest did. I just hope that he's only doing this a part of building his own game engine in C++ and at some point will start building the game he originally planned to make.

13. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 16:49 Sir Graves

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 12:09:
Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to see a single thing about this game that looks even remotely interesting...

Creston

And for me, the planned monthly subscription fee for multiplayer (what most people will want to do in this game, just like Minecraft...I mean exploring together and whatnot, BTW, not so much PVP) isn't helping, either. (Cuz I won't pay a monthly fee no matter how good it turns out to be.)

12. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 16:09 PHJF

God damn I wish they'd finish Starbound already.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 15:27 shihonage

I like the visual aesthetic, I just don't see why they had to put Quake 1 deathmatch in there.

The core of the game has to be completely different from whats shown in this video.

10. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 14:04 Data

Whatever this game turns into, I'm looking forward. Thanks notch for keeping us innocent from the POISON which is next gen games, and fancy graphics. Yeah, I actually feel that way.  

9. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 13:58 Verno

I know it's early and original yadda yadda but it just didn't look remotely fun or interesting to me.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

8. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 13:40 SectorEffector

gradbot wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 13:27:
Most companies make a sequel or two to their best selling game before they jump genres (if they ever do). There is a lot that can still be done with Minecraft and other people will do it if Notch won't. Notch is just doing what he wants because he can (as we all wish we could).

Trying to judge a game this early in development is silly since it will most likely change into a completely different game. Vision and game play are almost never the same thing.
That video is rather sad.

Agree, if he was doing the norm dev routine we'd have minecraft 3: modern minefare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo