Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity in March

The SimCity twitter feed offers a March 5th North American release date for SimCity, the revival of the urban planning series, suggesting you allocate your free time accordingly: "Mayors! Mark your calendars, #SimCity will be in stores March 5th in NA. RT If you're planning to take vacation that week to play." Thanks PC Gamer.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: SimCity in March Oct 28, 2012, 23:38 Optional Nickname!

ASeven wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 16:03:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 15:00:
With the role of SimCity Classic now available due to EA's complete failure, some enterprising developers should attempt a remake of the classic, without all of the corporate shovel-ware crap.

I'd contribute to a proper SimCity Kickstarter.

You may have already have your hopes answered.

Clockwork Empires:

• Create magnificent acts of plumbing, link together mighty gears, and build ominous Megaprojects!

• Sold and Thank You ASeven for that link!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: SimCity in March Oct 26, 2012, 16:03 ASeven

Optional Nickname! wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 15:00:
    With the role of SimCity Classic now available due to EA's complete failure, some enterprising developers should attempt a remake of the classic, without all of the corporate shovel-ware crap.

You may have already have your hopes answered.

30. Re: SimCity in March Oct 26, 2012, 15:00 Optional Nickname!

29. Re: SimCity in March Oct 26, 2012, 09:27 Verno

Bradley wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 22:23:
    Everyone complaining about multiplayer in a SimCity should check out how it's one in OpenTTD. They managed to pull off simultaneous city building in a way that really works well. Do I think EA can pull this off for sim City? Nope, not a chance. But it can be done in a way that works.

Many people simply do not want multiplayer in this type of game. It is a bunch of work that gives me no benefit as a user and is likely just being introduced as a smokescreen for the online DRM. It is certainly their game to make however they wish but if they want me to purchase it then they should have steered clear of that kind of stuff and focused on actually making a quality game.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
    Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

28. Re: SimCity in March Oct 26, 2012, 05:57 Tanto Edge

I love how every reworked game now comes with some hack tastic fucktard introducing himself as lead blame sponge.
    Hi there, I fucked up the game you love to remember. Let's take a close look at how it is everything you hate, and nothing you'd like it to be.

I have to admit, there is a lot in the trailers that look incredible. However, knowing that what they're axing, and shoe horning social shit in? After Societies, I can't believe they're still going in this direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

27. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 22:23 Bradley

Everyone complaining about multiplayer in a SimCity should check out how it's one in OpenTTD. They managed to pull off simultaneous city building in a way that really works well. Do I think EA can pull this off for sim City? Nope, not a chance. But it can be done in a way that works.  

26. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 19:29 Beamer

ViRGE wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 19:24:
    Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 19:12:
    There's room in SimCity for multiplayer. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it unnecessary. I'll repeat: the teenage me would have killed for it in SC2K. I used to create cities with my friends. It was kind of lame, but it was the only option. We'd have to split areas and funds. We'd do the same with Civilization.
    If someone had modded SC2K so that cities could talk and influence each other we would have been the happiest kids ever.
    The problem isn't that SimCity will have multiplayer. The problem is that it's being made a server-side game in order to facilitate that. Being server-side destroys all the maniacal flexibility/control we've come to enjoy from SimCity.

I agree.
    This is semantics, though. ASeven said he felt that they were ruining SC in several ways, one of which was including multiplayer. I told him I agreed with him, except that I didn't think the inclusion of multiplayer on its own is ruining the game.

You are discussing the implementation of the multiplayer, which he had in his always-on bulletpoint. I agree with that. But ASeven is arguing that multiplayer alone is a bad idea for SC.

I really, really disagree. SC is a game that could do quite well with multiplayer. It doesn't need to be very involved, and certainly shouldn't be simultaneous, but being able to build next to your own cities would be nice, to take advantage of what made those cities unique. Being able to connect to friends' cities is an extension of this.

There are many ways to take SC and make it something you can share with friends and really enjoy.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 19:24 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 19:12:
    There's room in SimCity for multiplayer. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it unnecessary. I'll repeat: the teenage me would have killed for it in SC2K. I used to create cities with my friends. It was kind of lame, but it was the only option. We'd have to split areas and funds. We'd do the same with Civilization.
    If someone had modded SC2K so that cities could talk and influence each other we would have been the happiest kids ever.
    The problem isn't that SimCity will have multiplayer. The problem is that it's being made a server-side game in order to facilitate that. Being server-side destroys all the maniacal flexibility/control we've come to enjoy from SimCity.

24. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 19:12 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 17:45:
    Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 17:35:
    Bhruic wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 16:27:
    Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 14:27:
    Those are two separate issues. Including multiplayer and mandating always online aren't the same thing.

Sure, and there's a difference between having optional multiplayer and designing the game around multiplayer. If nothing else, C&C 4 demonstrated that effectively forcing multiplayer through design choices tends to result in a poorer single player experience. Considering EA's track record, I don't expect anything better here (sadly, as I enjoyed the previous SimCities).

Is this not optional multiplayer? I thought you could wall your city off, or connect with friends.

ASeven bitched about unnecessary multiplayer. I didn't say it was necessary to force online, I just said that SimCity lends itself to multiplayer in ways that can be very entertaining. I don't want to sit around bitching about them putting multiplayer in when I think that's actually a fun, innovative idea.

It's the way they're going about using it as an excuse for always-on that I take issue with. But if they rebuilt SC2K exactly, only allowing us to connect to and influence our friend's cities, I'd love it.

Because making Syndicate as a FPS was very innovative and fun for everyone! Oh wait.

I'll repeat it again, making SC multiplayer and forced at that is like trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole. It'll be as successful as Syndicate was as an FPS. SC is not a game about multiplayer much like Syndicate is not a game about being a FPS.

I have no clue what making Syndicate an FPS has to do with putting multiplayer into SC.

Did you think that American Revolt forced unnecessary multiplayer? I thought it took a single player game and added pretty sweet multiplayer.
    How about CivNet? Was that forcing unnecessary multiplayer?

-------------

23. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 18:43 Crustacean Soup

I don't know, I'm kind of warming up to it. I wouldn't mind seeing what a co-op-centric city builder could look like. Yes, I'd really like to have a fully fleshed-out single player experience, but, eh...  

22. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 17:45 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 17:35:
    Those are two separate issues. Including multiplayer and mandating always online aren't the same thing.

Sure, and there's a difference between having optional multiplayer and designing the game around multiplayer. If nothing else, C&C 4 demonstrated that effectively forcing multiplayer through design choices tends to result in a poorer single player experience. Considering EA's track record, I don't expect anything better here (sadly, as I enjoyed the previous SimCities).

Is this not optional multiplayer? I thought you could wall your city off, or connect with friends.

ASeven bitched about unnecessary multiplayer. I didn't say it was necessary to force online, I just said that SimCity lends itself to multiplayer in ways that can be very entertaining. I don't want to sit around bitching about them putting multiplayer in when I think that's actually a fun, innovative idea.

It's the way they're going about using it as an excuse for always-on that I take issue with. But if they rebuilt SC2K exactly, only allowing us to connect to and influence our friend's cities, I'd love it.

Because making Syndicate as a FPS was very innovative and fun for everyone! Oh wait.

I'll repeat it again, making SC multiplayer and forced at that is like trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole. It'll be as successful as Syndicate was as an FPS. SC is not a game about multiplayer much like Syndicate is not a game about being a FPS.

21. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 17:35 Beamer

-------------

20. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 16:27 Bhruic

19. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 14:47 deqer

Imma go play Sim City for SNES, because that game was AWESOME!  

18. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 14:41 Dev

My guess is that EA is trying to apply their "The Sims" model to simcity. Aka, remove content from sequels to sell as add on packs, and trying to force online connectivity into the game.

I'll always remember how when I tried Sims 2, it contained far less buildable options than sims 1.

17. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 14:27 Beamer

deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 14:23:
    Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 11:16:
    Did old SC games have modtools?

ASeven, aren't virtually all social and multiplayer features "unneeded?" I don't see how you say forced, either.
    I think you missed the part about "always online" and EA's fluffy excuse of "social networking!" for it, even though we all know that's not the true excuse/reason for always online.

-------------

16. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 14:23 deqer

ASeven, aren't virtually all social and multiplayer features "unneeded?" I don't see how you say forced, either.
    I think you missed the part about "always online" and EA's fluffy excuse of "social networking!" for it, even though we all know that's not the true excuse/reason for always online.

15. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 13:45 Optional nickname

I am still going to buy this, but I have no expectations higher than the fact that this will join the list of AAA historic titles, that will feature dumbed down and agonizing money grabbing gameplay that otherwise will never be have earned in a respectable casual gameplay experience, as this is the current mantra for the gaming industry on the PC x86 architecture of today's times.

Still worth my $60 for maybe 100-200 or so hours, tops, then will join my serving coasters such as Diablo 3.

It will be a pleasant c-c-c-ombo breaking surprise, if Maxis / EA, can prove otherwise to me. I doubt it. I am already losing sleep as to what Generals 2 is going to be.

14. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 12:59 ASeven

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 11:16:
    Wait what? No subways and pipes? It's a fucking game about building city infrastructure. What was the justification on that one? Is there going to be any depth or complexity left in this thing?

Don't think they've given any explanation other than to mainstream the game to be more "enjoyable" by all.

13. Re: SimCity in March Oct 25, 2012, 12:55 ASeven

ASeven, aren't virtually all social and multiplayer features "unneeded?" I don't see how you say forced, either. Unless it's forcing me to play with people, or forcing me to add things to my Facebook feed, it isn't forced. The idea of being able to build a neighboring, competing city to a friend's is one I would have killed for in SC2000. Killed. Being able to send tornados into friends' cities is even better.
    Sorry, I think that is awesome, not "forced," and while not needed it's pretty cool.

I'm with you on everything else.

SC4 and SC3 had extensive modtools.

the problem is that SC has been a single-player series. Multiplayer features were never a part of it. SC4 tried something on those lines but wasn't that well implemented and in the end people ended up playing the SP portion as they always did. I am against forcing a strictly SP series to fit into a MP format, I have a feeling it's like trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo