Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Distance Kickstarter

This Kickstarter seeks user support for Distance, an arcade racing game in the works for Windows and OS X from Refract Studios. This is a new developer formed by the team behind DigiPen student project Nitronic Rush, and they say Distance is a spiritual successor to that game. Here's the summary of the goals for this project: "In short, it's Trials Evolution + Rush 2049 + Halo + Tron. The game takes the intense action of arcade racing and fuses it with the exploration of an atmospheric world. You control a unique car that allows you to boost, jump, rotate, and even fly to survive in a chaotic and twisted city." The page offers details on the game, an announcement trailer, what they will do if they hit their $125K goal, and an endorsement from former Epic designer Cliff Bleszinski.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Distance Kickstarter Nov 8, 2012, 09:41 J

Dev wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:10:
J wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 10:25:
Agh, it's one thing when huge videos that are bigger than my screen are in threads - but to have it on the main page. Perhaps I am the only remaining neanderthal with a 1024x768 display
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Naw according to that theres... 5% of average gamers who still primary displays at that res
I'm nearly a part of the 1%

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 26, 2012, 02:32 killer_roach

I really wanted to like Nitronic Rush, but it just had a lot of weird idiosyncrasies with handling and level design. So far, I'm not seeing anything that really changes my mind with this.

The concept is cool, but these guys have issues with implementation.

27. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 17:43 jdreyer

John wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:50:
Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:18:
Clearly you never played the greatest car game of all time...Insterstate '76! Best car physics ever. I'd pony up a lot for a KS that was a true legacy game of I76!
+1! I would like to see another I'76 game myself! Really enjoyed the gameplay and soundtrack. The sequel (I'82) wasn't nearly as good IMO and the physics weren't the same either.

I third this. Where's our I'77 Kickstarter already? Also, if they could get that band back for the soundtrack...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 16:11 Ludomancer

deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 10:34:
This looks ****ING BADASS! And with all those techniques/moves you can do, especially flying, it would be impossible for you to get stuck in a race. And near impossible to get bored of the game.

Um... did you see the same trailer I did?

25. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 16:03 Mordecai Walfish

John wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 15:50:
Clearly you never played the greatest car game of all time...Insterstate '76! Best car physics ever. I'd pony up a lot for a KS that was a true legacy game of I76!
+1! I would like to see another I'76 game myself! Really enjoyed the gameplay and soundtrack. The sequel (I'82) wasn't nearly as good IMO and the physics weren't the same either.

Interstate '76 would be a different story indeed! Even if it was just to remake the original for modern systems I would back that in a heartbeat.

24. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 15:50 John

This space is available for rent

23. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 15:18 Cutter

deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 11:30:
You don't want it to be TOO real, because then it's not fun. You don't want to powerslide and then slide out of control; a game that has some fake physics to keep the car moving non stop is what's fun.

No one likes to by flying down the road and then suddenly hit an obstacle and come to a complete stop. That's not fun.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

22. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 15:10 Burrito of Peace

deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 11:30:
No one likes to by flying down the road and then suddenly hit an obstacle and come to a complete stop. That's not fun.

I and about a literal million other racing sim fans vehemently disagree. The Simbin games, in particular, were brutally hard and immensely fun. There are plenty of kiddie arcade racers on consoles already. NFS, Forza, GT, Mario...to name just a handful.

Sliding "all around the track" is boring as Hell. Now, sliding around the corner of an old backwoods country dirt road by kicking the tail out is LOADS of fun...provided you know how to get the vehicle back in a straight line.

I miss playing games like GT Legends online with other people who knew how to actually drive instead of flailing around like a drunken, epileptic, retarded kid.

21. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 15:10 Dev

Agh, it's one thing when huge videos that are bigger than my screen are in threads - but to have it on the main page. Perhaps I am the only remaining neanderthal with a 1024x768 display
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Naw according to that theres... 5% of average gamers who still primary displays at that res

20. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 13:41 nin

DangerDog wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 13:34:

Perhaps Blue is really excited about this particular kickstarter

Hey, he did play NFS online (Motor City, I think?)!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 13:34 DangerDog

Perhaps Blue is really excited about this particular kickstarter

18. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 12:19 Elessar

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 11:40:
Just what the world needs, another racing game /sarcasm
Right, because there aren't a slew of games in other genres, amirite?

Seriously, this little demo looked awesome. Both in art direction and implementation. I loved Blur because of how different of a racer it was. I may just have to back this if it turns out to be as unique as it first looks.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

17. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 12:06 Creston

Dude... come on.

Creston

16. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 12:04 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 10:30:
I run 14x9 at work, and even here it's a little big...

Yeah, not sure that looks all that great on the main page... It's not as if this is the biggest announcement in gaming this year.

"In short, it's Trials Evolution + Rush 2049 + Halo + Tron

Rolleyes Needs more Minecraft. Rolleyes

Creston

15. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 11:51 Cutter

nin wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 10:41:
InBlack wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 10:37:
I would hazzard a guess that he is being sarcastic.

I think you give him waaaaaaaaay too much credit...

How does this one look, nin? Hrrmm?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

14. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 11:44 Quboid

It's the dreaded horizontal scrollbar of annoyingness!

I think my browser window is about 1024px wide too. I used to use full screen but the occasional HSoA is better than acres of blank pixels taking up most of the 1920 width.

- Quboid

13. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 11:40 dj LiTh

Just what the world needs, another racing game /sarcasm  

12. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 11:30 deqer

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 11:06:
Racing games are a genre that I dont think I'm going to get behind for any kickstarters, as my favorite elements usually involve a rock solid physics engine and realistic/destructible environments & vehicles. Both of these things are pretty much non-existent or poorly slapped together in the lower budget racers..

Heck one of the only reasons I play GTA4 anymore is to enjoy multiplayer races with friends, which are still a blast.

But for a kickstarter I'm gonna have to wait to see the finished product before jumping on any racing titles.

You don't want it to be TOO real, because then it's not fun. You don't want to powerslide and then slide out of control; a game that has some fake physics to keep the car moving non stop is what's fun.

Mario Kart was cool because you could control your powerslide back and forth with the control stick, and do a continuous slide all around a huge long ass turn of a road.

11. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 11:10 mag

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 11:06:
Racing games are a genre that I dont think I'm going to get behind for any kickstarters, as my favorite elements usually involve a rock solid physics engine and realistic/destructible environments & vehicles. Both of these things are pretty much non-existent or poorly slapped together in the lower budget racers..

Heck one of the only reasons I play GTA4 anymore is to enjoy multiplayer races with friends, which are still a blast.

But for a kickstarter I'm gonna have to wait to see the finished product before jumping on any racing titles.

Man. If there's one thing you can say about GTA4, it's that it has a rock-solid physics engine. Confused

10. Re: Distance Kickstarter Oct 25, 2012, 11:06 Mordecai Walfish

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo