Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 02:39 Ant

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:05:
The only reason Vista was an eyesore was that driver developers dragged their feet for nearly an entire year post-release. Nowadays Vista is as good or bad as Windows 7
Yeah, Vista SP2 isn't bad. ME and 8 (designed for touch screens!) are worse than Vista on desktops.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 02:37 Ant

I still use Windows XP Pro. SP3 at home. It works just fine what I do. I don't computer game either.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 27, 2012, 01:28 jimnms

Jivaro wrote on Oct 26, 2012, 14:58:
Windows ME was garbage. Every time this topic comes up it absolutely floors me that, without exception, there is someone who tries to sugar coat just how awful that OS was.

Every time someone calls WinME garbage, they never supply any specifics as to why it was garbage. I'm not sugar coating shit, I just said I didn't remember any major problems with it. I'm not talking from personal experience with just my own system either. Right out of high school I landed a job as the one and only employee at a small local ISP (~800 customers when I started, over 2500 when I left), which a friend of mine recommended me to take over when he left for college. The owner also sold computers which I helped do support on those. I had a couple of friends start up a computer store in town which I helped out at in my spare time. I did that for 3 years before going off to college myself.

The systems the ISP owner sold were cheap shitty ass systems he bought pre-built from another company and just switched the badges on them. The driver I mentioned earlier that gave me problems was the driver for the modem that came in these systems. He also sold the modems to ISP customers that didn't have them. The modems were those crappy software driven modems. Whenever he sold one of these modems, the customer either brought their system in, or they took it home and tried to install it themselves. Most of those that tried to do it themselves I ended up having to make a house call after hours to fix it when they couldn't get online with it. The driver was a pain in the ass to install in Win95 and 98. That whole plug-n-play BS didn't work as it wouldn't detect an available COM port and IRQ, and I had to do it manually. I told the owner the modems he was selling were shit, but he didn't care. He was getting them dirt cheap and marking them way up. When the systems started arriving with WinME on them or when installing it in systems that already had ME, the driver worked perfectly every time. At either place we didn't have people asking to switch back to 98 when ME came out, and at the computer store, we sold ME upgrades and installed them for people.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 21:27 eRe4s3r

True, but now (I have a XP 32bit and 64bit Vista install around) it is performing better than XP The 16gb RAM help though  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 14:58 Jivaro

Windows ME was garbage. Every time this topic comes up it absolutely floors me that, without exception, there is someone who tries to sugar coat just how awful that OS was.

People can debate 95, Vista, etc etc...there are some good argument points on either sides, but ME was just straight up horrible. It was designed for consumers, the consumers hated it for a laundry list of reasons, it was buggy all to hell so tech support hated it, and the companies making boxes with it like Dell, HP/Compaq, and Gateway offered people free rollbacks to Win98 and went from requiring WinME on new machines when it released to not even making it the default build choice within 2 months. They even offered to pick up the shipping costs for returns and reinstalls in some cases! I have former customer service employees who still regard the year that WinME launched as the worst year in their professional careers. When junior employees complained about Vista at it's launch, ME was the "when I was a kid we walked to school in the snow, uphill, both ways" story.

A lot of us here on these forums obviously work or have worked in the comp hardware industry in one way or another, but take it from a guy that was selling machines to businesses, educational facilities, and consumers....within 1 or 2 months of release everybody wanted Win98 or 2000 and they never "came around" to Windows ME..they held out until Windows XP released. Often there is a "techie" or "business" side to an OS that is completely different to the consumer perception, this isn't one of those times. NT/2000 filled that roll, and they did it very well. ME was a purely consumer OS that wasn't ready for release and because XP was so close on the launch table, it never got the love required to make it anything more then garbage.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 26, 2012, 08:32 Tim

jimnms wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 21:00:
BobBob wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 16:30:
What is with Microsoft and every other iteration of their OS being complete garbage? 3.0, 95, ME, Vista, Windows 8

I don't remember 95 or ME being garbage. I beta tested 95 and it did have early problems, but by the time it shipped it was pretty damn solid.

I do. It was awful on release - despite being a big step forward it had serious problems and developing for it was a bit of a nightmare too. Previous poster was right - 98 was a heck of a lot better out of the box.

Then again XP wasn't great on release either but for some reason people have forgotten that too.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 21:00 jimnms

BobBob wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 16:30:
What is with Microsoft and every other iteration of their OS being complete garbage? 3.0, 95, ME, Vista, Windows 8

I don't remember 95 or ME being garbage. I beta tested 95 and it did have early problems, but by the time it shipped it was pretty damn solid. I think its biggest problem were there were so many minor versions of it and they never patched them into to make one unified build. The Win95 OSR2 release IMO was the best of the Win9x releases.

Personally I didn't like Win98. That was when they integrated IE into the OS, and it made the whole UI look like shit. WinME cleaned up the UI a bit by borrowing some things from Win2000. I know people love to hate on WinME, but once again I can't remember having any problems with it. WinME actually was more stable for me than Win98. There was one particular driver that always was a pain to install/update in Win98, but I never had an issue with it in WinME.

I heard horror stories about WinXP, but I didn't make the jump to XP until I built a new machine for it. I'm sure all of the problems had been ironed out by then, and most likely the horror stories were due to upgrading from previous versions rather than doing a full install.

I never used Vista, so I didn't experience that one first hand except working on a few people's machines that had it. I did buy it, but never got around to installing it. I had been using XP for so long I just really didn't feel like starting over. The little bit of it I did use though it was annoying as hell with the amount of times it popped up asking permission to do shit.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 20:40 The Half Elf

Not just drivers, but was a resource hog when it launched and couldn't match XP's speed.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 20:05 eRe4s3r

The only reason Vista was an eyesore was that driver developers dragged their feet for nearly an entire year post-release. Nowadays Vista is as good or bad as Windows 7  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 19:22 Axis

People who hate on Win95 were likely in diapers at the time (not meaning you Benn, you're pretty much spot on).

I was in charge of a multitude of LANs on a WAN and Win95 was such a gigantic leap in productivity across the board. Course, I had been used to Amiga's workbench for so long I wasn't as "wow'd" but it worked very well if you knew what you were doing.

Only mentionable eyesores from MS has been Vista at #3, Media Center at #2, and WinME at #1. Not sure where Win8 fits, but it's somewhere in there so far.

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 19:10 MisterBenn

I would probably argue that some of those garbage releases were introducing something new that didn't become good until it matured into a later release. 95 introduced the desktop we use now but it was unreliable, it had to mature into 98 before it reached its peak. 2000 and XP were good but Vista was notorious. Besides all the media centre crap that got bundled with it, the new driver architecture was barely supported by anyone at first. Windows 7 used the same system but everyone had adopted it by then so it seemed a lot smoother. Windows 7 did also have a fair bit of unnecessary shit stripped out which sealed the deal in my opinion.

I was quite aware in that article that there was no exploration at all of the concerns that people have (to the point where many have decided to already avoid adopting it). The BBC has got worse recently for features that are pretty much just press releases. The second half of the 10 o'clock news is always a feature - sometimes it's genuine: Afghanistan, Libya, CERN etc, but just as often the new feature is more or less an advert such as "Hollywood has a new film out and it's going to be great!"

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 16:30 BobBob

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo