Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming

John Carmack tweets that there are still plans to release the overdue mod tools for RAGE, id's semi-recent first-person shooter (thanks VG247/Joystiq/NeoGAF). He ruefully says:

BFG work pushed the Rage tools, but Real Soon Now. I hope. Sigh. I think we have made poor decisions on this all year.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

24. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 03:20 InBlack

The only way there is of putting iD back on the map now is with Doom4.

Doom4 should be like Doom2 though, awesome huge evil shit levels with tons of baddies and no story to speak of. Just atmosphere.

Sawed off double barrel shotgun is a must though.

I would buy that.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 02:46 deqer

Crazy quake-2 engine project: http://team-blur-games.com/overdose/

In fact, this guy has done so much to it, it's like a quake-2-tier-5 engine now.

22. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 02:21 Jerykk

Fantaz wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 00:24:
I think the Doom 3 modding community all moved over to Crysis/Unreal engine by now. Even Arma 2 is getting mods, lol! (DayZ)

Uh, BI's games have always had strong mod communities. DayZ wasn't the first mod for ArmA2.

21. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 01:54 Asmo

Doom etc were popular because they were "first" (or near enough to not matter) with a paucity of competition.

They were not creative, they did not feature solid story lines you got invested in in the slightest. They were shooters and didn't try to complicate things with creativity (apart from some spiffy level designs, I'll give them that).

I picked up Rage on a 9 buck steam sale and still haven't been able to bring myself to install it. Given my current list of games I actually want to play is pretty long, a game I'm curious to see how bad it is doesn't rate. Neither does a rebaked POS from years ago.

20. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 00:44 Jerykk

wtf_man wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:44:
Flatline wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:19:
The Q2 engine was awesome for it's time and was used in a metric assload of games. Probably their biggest success in terms of engine licensing.

Actually I think more games were made with the Quake 3 engine than Quake 2, although I don't think "Quake 3 Arena", itself, did better than Quake 2.

Yeah, the Q3 engine was licensed more than than the Q2 engine. That said, neither engine was licensed that much. Even back then, the Unreal engine was far more common.

19. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 00:24 Fantaz

I think the Doom 3 modding community all moved over to Crysis/Unreal engine by now. Even Arma 2 is getting mods, lol! (DayZ)  

18. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 23:58 John

Overall I didn't think Rage was too bad but I didn't like the ending at all. I was just going along activate a satellite while fighting off some cyborg monkeys then all of a sudden the game is over! There was a short cut scene but it didn't show much of anything. Very anti-climatic..  
This space is available for rent

17. "Are These The Tools That.....?" Oct 24, 2012, 23:46 SlimRam

Ok, i'll start this:

"Convert the engine back to the ultra superior Quake III engine!?!?" Rotfl

I saw a hearse driving in the carpool lane the other day and I thought to myself, "That's cheating"

16. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 23:44 wtf_man

Flatline wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:19:
The Q2 engine was awesome for it's time and was used in a metric assload of games. Probably their biggest success in terms of engine licensing.

Actually I think more games were made with the Quake 3 engine than Quake 2, although I don't think "Quake 3 Arena", itself, did better than Quake 2.

15. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 23:23 Lit_Reflex001

I am hoping that one day iD Software will return. You know what's funny, if you increase the texture detail in the Doom 3 engine by 200%, it looks pretty fucking sweet.

It sure kicks the shit out of that piece of shit Call of Duty engine.

14. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 23:19 Flatline

[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:24:
Shut your pie hole carmack. Time for you to fade into the past. We have to listen you yapping about how much you know over and over and over again. YAYAYAYA doom YAYAYAYA shader YAYAYAYAP programming.

FACE IT CARMACK its not 1990 anymore. You have not made a good game since quake. Graphic technology is fine your games SUCK ASS.

Go back to your rockets and stop releasing crap games.

That being said, this is probably too little, too late. I never understood why they made such a big fucking hoopla over re-releasing Doom 3. I suspect that it started out as a bargain bin project and as it ballooned and sucked more and more cash into it's black hole of a maw, iD/Bethesda said "shit, now we have to market it to try to make some investment back" and started up the hype machine.

13. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 23:12 ColoradoHoudini

Just had a conversation about ID and Epic today.. nothing more than engine makers it seems.
So sad..for they were once giants

12. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 23:05 Sempai

Hahaha!

Wait..it's not April 1rst is it?

11. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 23:04 Beelzebud

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:06:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:47:
This should really excite all 3 people that have the 20gb game still taking up space on their hard drive.
Does anybody actually uninstall games these days? I've got over 550 games on Steam and I keep them all installed - that includes RAGE. I have 40Mbit broadband and I'd still rather not have to wait the twenty minutes it takes to download most games when I could just keep them installed.

When a game is 20GB and I never play it, you're damn right I uninstall it. I'm not going to run an array of TB hard drives to keep every game I stopped playing installed. I'm not made of money.

10. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:45 eRe4s3r

What do you expect from someone who coded ID Tech 5 and forgot how DETAIL textures or dynamic lights worked. Then tried to explain us that this _> http://media.bestofmicro.com/J/8/311732/original/rage-blurry.jpg is the future of game graphic engines, while the frostbite 2 engine, with half the install footprint blows ID Tech 5 so far out of the water that to this day they haven't found all the pieces again.

Rage will never look good. It is a failed experiment, proof that megatexture sounds neat on paper, but when executed fails on all levels. For super awesome vistas you could still get away with a matte painting with 4k*16k resolution. Tiled so that each piece is 1024x1024. Instead, Karmak would make you believe that the actual vista has to be modeled, textured by hand, and baked by a super-computer and then rendered in real-time on your PC again.

He is a superb coder, with absolutely no clue how to make good graphic engines anymore.

9. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:35 Trevellian

I think what Carmack fails to realize is... He's not amazing. He can design engines... beyond that he has no creativity. He forgets that... Keen, Doom and Quake... where all group efforts of brainstorming by Himself, Tom Hall, Romero and of course Adrian as well. His engines are absolutely nothing without their creativity to drive them. This is why they are now all failures. If they ever want to do anything meaningful again they need to suck it up and rebuild the original id Software with the original members... or they will continue to fade into obscurity. People already for the most part, unless they are educated have no idea who any of them are. I talk to the Call of Duty fanboys I work with and try to explain to them they wouldn't have a game if it weren't for Doom, and they don't understand, because id Software has become irrelevant.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

8. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:28 Dades

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:06:
Does anybody actually uninstall games these days? I've got over 550 games on Steam and I keep them all installed - that includes RAGE. I have 40Mbit broadband and I'd still rather not have to wait the twenty minutes it takes to download most games when I could just keep them installed.

Of course people uninstall games, doing so safely while retaining the ability to get them again later on is a big reason why digital services are so successful. Many people do not buy terabyte disks in bulk just to keep some old games around.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

7. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:24 [VG]Reagle

Shut your pie hole carmack. Time for you to fade into the past. We have to listen you yapping about how much you know over and over and over again. YAYAYAYA doom YAYAYAYA shader YAYAYAYAP programming.

FACE IT CARMACK its not 1990 anymore. You have not made a good game since quake. Graphic technology is fine your games SUCK ASS.

Go back to your rockets and stop releasing crap games.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

6. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:09 nin

"It's no longer that we flog the dead horse, it's the speed and skill at which we do so."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 24, 2012, 22:06 theyarecomingforyou

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:47:
This should really excite all 3 people that have the 20gb game still taking up space on their hard drive.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo