Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming

John Carmack tweets that there are still plans to release the overdue mod tools for RAGE, id's semi-recent first-person shooter (thanks VG247/Joystiq/NeoGAF). He ruefully says:

BFG work pushed the Rage tools, but Real Soon Now. I hope. Sigh. I think we have made poor decisions on this all year.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 12:21 Creston

No mod is ever going to be able to fix that clusterfuck that is megatexture, but who knows, maybe some enterprising soul will create a race game in Rage, since the racing part was the only thing I really enjoyed. And it really bugged me that once you've won all of them "Har har, you can't race anymore!"

Why the fuck NOT???

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 10:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well feelings of being letdown by id aside, I am looking forward to the RAGE Mod Tools.

I finally bought RAGE on sale on steam awhile back, and it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to expect. The ending definitely felt rushed, but it also definitely felt like a lot could be done by talented modders with the engine and game itself.

Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that any talented mod groups will actually still want to work on RAGE, but at least having the tools out there is better than nothing.

42. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 09:50 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:48:
I'd much rather take faster loading times on the games I do use than waiting an hour to play some game I might never play again anyway.

Yeah, this is definitely the way to go. What I do on my system is institute a three-tier solution. Games I really want and love (like DE: HR when it came out, GW2, etc.) I put on my main SSD RAID-0. Games I intend to play a lot, especially multiplayer/online games and Steam exclusives, I put on my large, solo SSD. Finally, older titles, games that don't much benefit from SSD, etc., I put on a mechanical RAID-0. Some games really benefit from being on a SSD, though, like Shogun 2: Total War; its load times are otherwise pretty unreal.

41. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 09:27 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 07:56:
I don't know why people keep blaming him for the mediocre games the rest of id keeps making with his engines.
Because he's the public face of id. Which is good for people like Willits or Todd Hollenshead, who are, in my opinion, mainly responsible for the downfall of id Software. A mediocre game designer and a mediocre business man.

40. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 BobBob

Cool. I can create my dead horse mod.  

39. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 08:48 Verno

To me the practicality of being able to play any game I own at the drop of a hat trumps the slightly faster load times provided by an SSD.

I'd much rather take faster loading times on the games I do use than waiting an hour to play some game I might never play again anyway. If all I wanted was the ability to play my games at will I could do that by wasting a shitload of money on drives and a raid array but I have Steam so it's pointless. I barely have time to play the games I do have installed, let alone the 600 others.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

38. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 08:47 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:28:
As for performance, how would it cause performance issues? I've never come across performance issues and games load very fast nowadays - most games benefit more from editing an .ini file to skip the intros than moving to an SSD.

Well, I'd hate to think how long it takes to defrag a drive with 550 Steam games on it.

And eventually your seek time is going to suffer, though whether you actually use enough clusters to cause that to happen, I don't know.

Moving games from my external drive back to my SSD really doesn't take that long. 10 mins or so, tops. But, of course, to each his own.

Creston

37. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 08:28 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 07:46:
If you have your Steam folder on an SSD, eventually you'll have to make some decisions on what to keep installed. Also, having 550 games on a standard hard disk is going to cause some performance issues. Why not keep the games you're playing installed on a smaller, lean drive, and just put all the rest on a different drive? I think it'd definitely make a difference with how fast everything loads.
To me the practicality of being able to play any game I own at the drop of a hat trumps the slightly faster load times provided by an SSD. Building an SSD array for all my games would take up all my SATA ports (which I need for bulk storage) and be very expensive, while manually moving games over to an SSD is very time consuming. There's absolutely no doubt that SSDs are faster (I use one for my boot drive) but they're just not practical or cost effective.

As for performance, how would it cause performance issues? I've never come across performance issues and games load very fast nowadays - most games benefit more from editing an .ini file to skip the intros than moving to an SSD.

Getting back on topic, for a modern game like RAGE to look like this, this and this at maximum settings is absolutely unacceptable. Sure it looked better in other places but it was a disastrous decision to go for megatextures over detail textures. And based upon the leaked Doom 4 screenshots Carmack might as well just call it a day, rather than ruin his reputation any further.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

36. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 08:21 Omni

I had one cup of coffee this morning.  

35. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 07:56 Creston

Trevellian wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:35:
I think what Carmack fails to realize is... He's not amazing. He can design engines... beyond that he has no creativity.

Seeing as how Carmack never designed levels or gameplay or anything, and just coded the rendering engine, I'm pretty sure he hasn't failed to realize that.

I don't know why people keep blaming him for the mediocre games the rest of id keeps making with his engines.

And saying that his engines are now all failures is just bullshit. For awhile, almost everyone used the Quake engines. It wasn't until Doom 3 when the switch to Unreal became almost universal. (Though Carmack says that's because they didn't want to license it to more than a few companies, who knows what the truth is.)

Tech 5 is really the first big failure on his part to make an engine that wows people, at least on the PC. The Doom 3 engine at least looked great (though its use of shadows was crap. He hyped the shadow rendering part of it to no end, and then you got an engine where you could shine a flashlight on a shadow on the floor, and the shadow just stayed right there. Oookay, John... That's not really how shadows behave, buddy.)

Creston

34. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 07:46 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:06:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:47:
This should really excite all 3 people that have the 20gb game still taking up space on their hard drive.
Does anybody actually uninstall games these days? I've got over 550 games on Steam and I keep them all installed - that includes RAGE. I have 40Mbit broadband and I'd still rather not have to wait the twenty minutes it takes to download most games when I could just keep them installed.

If you have your Steam folder on an SSD, eventually you'll have to make some decisions on what to keep installed. Also, having 550 games on a standard hard disk is going to cause some performance issues. Why not keep the games you're playing installed on a smaller, lean drive, and just put all the rest on a different drive? I think it'd definitely make a difference with how fast everything loads.

Creston

33. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 07:44 Creston

I think we have made poor decisions on this all year.

Oh John. Don't cut yourself so short. You've been making poor decisions for the last EIGHT YEARS.

Had you released those mod tools out of the box, like you promised, Rage could have been fun to play around with. After 15 months, I don't think too many people care anymore.

I think my favorite bump in the whole Rage saga was when they announced like six months ago "We're still going to do DLC! Hang on, we have an announcement coming real soon!!!" To which the internet answered with a collective snicker of laughter followed by crickets, and that announcement just really never came.

God, what a farce Rage turned out to be.

Creston

32. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 07:25 coldcut

So they're hoping for the community to fix their game with mods? Rage was one of the very few exceptions where I bought pre-release at full price. And the game was just mediocre. That is, not until you fix their graphics crap by modifying the ini files. I never even finished the game.

Due to the launch of Borderlands 2, I replayed Borderlands 1 with a friend again before. And it was shocking how good it actually was, Borderlands (1!) is really the better RAGE.

Let's see what the community brings out if the tools are finally being released.

31. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 06:55 Kajetan

edaciousx wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 05:43:
Did you know... call of duty is a super epic modified version of the quake 2 engine? Just like source.... super duper epic modified quake 2 engine.
No. Thats exaggerated. CoD and Source engine still contain code from Quake 2, yes. But only minor parts. Small, minor parts. The Source Engine for example is no Quake 2 fork, its an engine of its own because Valve hasn't "modified" the code, they have written a lot of NEW code. Those few lines of old code isn't enough to call them "modified"

30. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 05:43 edaciousx

Did you know... call of duty is a super epic modified version of the quake 2 engine? Just like source.... super duper epic modified quake 2 engine.  

29. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 05:42 shihonage

InBlack wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 04:40:
Flatline wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 03:21:
InBlack wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 03:20:
The only way there is of putting iD back on the map now is with Doom4.

Doom4 should be like Doom2 though, awesome huge evil shit levels with tons of baddies and no story to speak of. Just atmosphere.

Sawed off double barrel shotgun is a must though.

I would buy that.

Eh, I don't know if I would. We have that in Serious Sam 3 and it's ilk, and I'm not that thrilled with it. I'd need "something more".

Its not really the same. Serious Sam is more like a parody of Doom. The level design of SS also leaves a lot to be desired, its nowhere even close to the brilliance of Doom2 and thats an ancient game built entirely in a 2d editor

THIS. Too few people realize this. Serious Sam series were a half-baked parody of Doom, created without understanding of design in most any sense of the world.

Doom had weapons with mechanics that were usable in different situations, it had pacing, its levels were designed with full understanding of them BEING part of gameplay itself.

Serious Sam was always the "lulzdoom" of the retarded variety.

28. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 04:40 InBlack

Flatline wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 03:21:

Doom4 should be like Doom2 though, awesome huge evil shit levels with tons of baddies and no story to speak of. Just atmosphere.

I would buy that.

Eh, I don't know if I would. We have that in Serious Sam 3 and it's ilk, and I'm not that thrilled with it. I'd need "something more".

Its not really the same. Serious Sam is more like a parody of Doom. The level design of SS also leaves a lot to be desired, its nowhere even close to the brilliance of Doom2 and thats an ancient game built entirely in a 2d editor

I have a nifty blue line!

27. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 04:35 Bradley

deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 02:46:
Crazy quake-2 engine project: http://team-blur-games.com/overdose/

In fact, this guy has done so much to it, it's like a quake-2-tier-5 engine now.
Holy crap that's a lot of brown pixels.

26. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 03:21 Flatline

I would buy that.

25. Re: RAGE Mod Tools Still Coming Oct 25, 2012, 03:21 Flatline

deqer wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 02:46:
Crazy quake-2 engine project: http://team-blur-games.com/overdose/

In fact, this guy has done so much to it, it's like a quake-2-tier-5 engine now.

That's pretty damn impressive. Then again, even Source still has some Quake 1 DNA in it. They were robust engines that had to do an awful lot with comparatively pathetic hardware.

I think more than anything that's what we're seeing with Carmack. He has the hardware that can push just about whatever he wants, the lazy way. In the old days you had to squeeze every droplet of power out of a system. Now most top end PCs don't even tap their full potential.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo