Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal

The Kickstarter Campaign for Star Citizen has hit its $500,000 goal after just four days of fundraising for this upcoming space simulation from Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts. The Roberts Space Industries Website now shows the game has raised $1.35 million of its overall two million dollar goal (which apparently does not count the half-million from Kickstarter).

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 25, 2012, 10:19 InBlack

I too am very skeptical about this game, as I am of any game that isnt clearly defined in terms of what it actually is going to be. Im always concerned that the devs dont really know where to take it and as a result it ends up a turd...

Still Im happy that a SPACE SIM is getting this much attention and funding and hopefully turning a few notable heads of big name studio publishers.

The world is craving for a good space sim. Imagine Lucasarts announcing Tie Fighter 2 tommorow. The whole internet would collectively jizz its pants....

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 25, 2012, 07:38 Beamer

Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 19:10:
Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:57:
I am not convinced to put $25 for something just to support an idea when the end project may not be worth $25 to me.

I repeat, $20 or $25 will NOT get you the game. The lowest that will get you the game is limited tier of $30 for early backers.

First unlimited tier for the game is $40.

It doesn't change my point. $20, $30, $40, whatever.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

59. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 25, 2012, 01:55 Iurand

Optional Nickname! wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 15:25:
Someone, please post a link to the details of the ships! So far all I can find is name, model and intended role.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/

58. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 25, 2012, 01:01 saluk

Basically, it's the minecraft model of multiplayer.  

57. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 20:59 Whiskers

I'm just excited there might be another space game like Starlancer coming out. Starlancer had a cool atmosphere, awesome ship designs, a pretty decent story and I loved that I could actually see the cockpit of my ship, and it changed with each ship you flew.  

56. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 19:57 Slashman

My problem here is that I cannot see how he would make both types of gameplay as compelling as a single-player experience for those who want it and as a multiplayer/MMO experience for those who want that.

There are things I like in my single-player games(cohesive story, goals, focus on my actions as the main protagonist, meaningful choices) that cannot work in multiplayer very well.

Likewise, there are things that people would expect from multiplayer(team oriented objectives, PVP, a universe that lets all players have an equal impact, huge battles that will take multiple players to win, guilds, etc.) that don't have much value to a single player experience.

I find it very hard to believe that the two can just coexist within the scope of one game, unless one part of it is squarely focused on single or multi at the expense of the other.

55. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 19:10 Dev

I am not convinced to put $25 for something just to support an idea when the end project may not be worth $25 to me.

I repeat, $20 or $25 will NOT get you the game. The lowest that will get you the game is limited tier of $30 for early backers.

First unlimited tier for the game is $40.

54. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 19:06 Orogogus

ItBurn wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 19:01:

While I agree, I am not convinced to put $25 for something just to support an idea when the end project may not be worth $25 to me.

I despise MMOs. Despise. And the mechanics that tend to make successful MMOs are ones not ones I enjoy. So until I see the mechanics that Roberts plans to use I'm in no rush to put any of my money in.

I can sympathize with that, fuck mmos.
Freelancer's online server tech was awesome. It played exactly like the single player game. Pure action. That's what I'm expecting. They can do all kinds of optimizations because of the game's star system setup.

I think the distinct feeling is that if you tell Chris Roberts that you love MMOs, all of a sudden this game is going to have raids and clans and what not. The only thing it isn't is a console game; other than that it's as grandiose as anything Derek Smart ever put forth.

53. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 19:01 ItBurn

While I agree, I am not convinced to put $25 for something just to support an idea when the end project may not be worth $25 to me.

I despise MMOs. Despise. And the mechanics that tend to make successful MMOs are ones not ones I enjoy. So until I see the mechanics that Roberts plans to use I'm in no rush to put any of my money in.

I can sympathize with that, fuck mmos.
Freelancer's online server tech was awesome. It played exactly like the single player game. Pure action. That's what I'm expecting. They can do all kinds of optimizations because of the game's star system setup.

52. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:57 Beamer

ItBurn wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:45:
Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:37:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:36:
You guys don't read. You can host a private server. So that means that you can play the game in single player if you want to. They're also going to host a server for those who like it mmo-style. Freelancer did it, it's not magic. It's not pay to win or whatever bullshit term you want to use, it's do whatever you want. You can even mod it.

They do not have infinite resources, and MMO and SP gameplay are at odds with each other. In order to do both compromises need to be made on both.

Roberts can give us all he wants to read, but until I see something very close to final version I won't believe that he can give an excellent experience on both sides.

Few are those who believe that the end product will be perfect, but you have to support stuff if you want more of it. At the very least, it'll make the genre flourish and their next project after that will be even better with their acquired experience.

-------------

51. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:45 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:37:
You guys don't read. You can host a private server. So that means that you can play the game in single player if you want to. They're also going to host a server for those who like it mmo-style. Freelancer did it, it's not magic. It's not pay to win or whatever bullshit term you want to use, it's do whatever you want. You can even mod it.

They do not have infinite resources, and MMO and SP gameplay are at odds with each other. In order to do both compromises need to be made on both.

Roberts can give us all he wants to read, but until I see something very close to final version I won't believe that he can give an excellent experience on both sides.

Few are those who believe that the end product will be perfect, but you have to support stuff if you want more of it. At the very least, it'll make the genre flourish and their next project after that will be even better with their acquired experience.

50. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:37 Beamer

-------------

49. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:37 Strango

Most of the misgivings in this thread seem to be from not having full information.

The way it can be an MMO and not an MMO is that you have the option to host your own private server that still contains a persistent universe.
Chris Roberts:
“We hate DRM, so the intention is to be DRM free.
For the persistent universe you’re going to need to log with your account as we need to be the keepers of location, equipment and status for the obvious reasons. And if you want to have friends drop into your single player experience you will also have to be connected to our servers (as this is how we match make you with your friends)
But you can play the single player game offline with no DRM and you’ll also be able to run your own server without any need to connect to our servers.
Hope that helps!”

You want the sandbox in single player or co-op with just friends? Host a private server.

48. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:36 ItBurn

47. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:21 Dev

Prez wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 17:49:
I'm rooting for this kickstarter harder than any other thus far, but the amount of m donation will be commensurate with how much faith I have in the project, not hope. I'm thinking 20 bucks max, which I'll be donating by week's end. If it begins to look like it is starting to come together, I would gladly up that drastically. I need to know more about how soloable it all will be.
You realize that you won't get the game for $20 right? Its minimum of $30 for limited early backers, and then it goes to $35 again limited early backers.

The first unlimited tier that gets the game is $40.

46. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:07 Julio

Freelancer was terrible, no flight stick = not a space sim. Adding pay-to-win and limited SP doesn't appeal much to me, I'll wait for the reviews of the finished product.

I think EA has as much chance as bringing out Privateer 3, as this project has at giving me a single player, story driven, flight stick controlled non-pay-to-win game.

45. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:04 Slashman

If the focus isn't single-player, I definitely am not backing it.

None of the great space sims were multiplayer.

He talks in one breath about high-end PC gaming and space sims not being dead, but then goes and makes an MMO.

Which is it? Is there a market for these games or not? The last thing I want is an epic space sim where my experience is marred by my ISP suddenly having a hiccup.

44. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:01 Prez

John wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 17:59:
Yeah, the SP part sounds pretty limited.. I was hoping the entire game could be played in SP-only but it sounds like only part of it can. If I don't hear anything better about it before it ends, I'll probably remove my backing.

I'm holding out hope yet for a great singleplayer experience. It *is* Chris Roberts after all. If it doesn't pan out, oh well. No money from me.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 17:59 John

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 17:08:
I just don't like it. Doesn't mean I think it will be bad, but had it been a single player game I would have enjoyed it more.
Yeah, the SP part sounds pretty limited.. I was hoping the entire game could be played in SP-only but it sounds like only part of it can. If I don't hear anything better about it before it ends, I'll probably remove my backing.

This space is available for rent

42. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 17:49 Prez

I'm rooting for this kickstarter harder than any other thus far, but the amount of m donation will be commensurate with how much faith I have in the project, not hope. I'm thinking 20 bucks max, which I'll be donating by week's end. If it begins to look like it is starting to come together, I would gladly up that drastically. I need to know more about how soloable it all will be.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo