Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal

The Kickstarter Campaign for Star Citizen has hit its $500,000 goal after just four days of fundraising for this upcoming space simulation from Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts. The Roberts Space Industries Website now shows the game has raised $1.35 million of its overall two million dollar goal (which apparently does not count the half-million from Kickstarter).

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

21. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 11:51 Tumbler

I'm very excited to see the update/info being posted today at some point. They should have some ship specs to go over and an upgrade your pledge option on the main site.

I'm very happy with how much things seem to have gotten moving in the right direction since they put up the kickstarter page. I think one thing that kickstarter does really well is allow an easy place to communicate with fans. I've had questions answered directly and seen many answers to questions in general. That seems to work a lot better than trying to look over forums for that same info.

I hope this whole experience is something that many devs learn from. Don't try and do this outside of kickstarter. You're kidding yourself if you think that site is just a leech on these projects. That site has an excellent system for getting info out to fans and letting fans ask you questions in a way that everyone can watch. Plus with the way they handle donations there is very little concern over what you're getting at the point you choose to donate. No charges until the thing settles, no chances that you might not get your money back if you don't click that optional refund choice, etc.

If there is a better crowd funding site in the future then by all means give them a shot but the idea that this kind of funding would be successful having everyone go to a different website for each product is insane. I've funded plenty of projects simply by browsing around after I go and look at the project I've heard about. I just funded a board game about a band robbery or heist or something. I rarely look outside of video games but it caught my eye and I liked the guys project. Same goes for the other way, people might be looking to fund that star trek indie movie project and then notice star citizen, hmm that might be something I want too!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 11:47 Axis

More oldschool designers going around AAA publishers = good for us.

Some may have already done their greatest work, but at least they'll have a chance to possibly produce their greatest work if we make it happen for them.

Yours truly,

Axis

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 11:32 nin

Wildone wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:31:
Freelancer was a gay 3rd person mouse controlled abomination. No serious space sim fan would take that seriously.

Thankfully you don't speak for space sim fans.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 11:31 Wildone

Freelancer was a gay 3rd person mouse controlled abomination. No serious space sim fan would take that seriously.  

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 11:30 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:14:
I dunno. Something about this just sit quite right. Hope I'm wrong but my Spidey sense is tingling on this one.

To me you can say that about every single Kickstarter. Until it's done, there is a lot of things that can happen so it cannot get done.

16. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 11:17 John

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:14:
I dunno. Something about this just sit quite right. Hope I'm wrong but my Spidey sense is tingling on this one.
Didn't you say the same thing about Project Eternity? Maybe I'm thinking about someone else..

This space is available for rent

15. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 11:14 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 11:01 HorrorScope

I'd prefer the proper Freelancer, thank you. The original wasn't quite there but you could see it could be killer if fully developed.  

13. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:53 Trevellian

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:51:
I dunno...I was kind of hoping for a traditional sim ala Freespace, but Freelancer was a jack-of-all-trades master of none game that I couldnt be even bothered to finish. While I do realize that he wasnt satisfied with how the game turned out, so many of its core features sucked really badly, especially the flightmodel and control scheme. The 3rd person action cam view was straight out of the 80's arcades...uhhh.

The difference being he has clearly stated that it will be a combination of Freelancer's universe, like, being able to be a pirate, a trader etc. But with Wing Commander's flight style. I do not think the 3rd person camera style was his intent with Freelancer, they may have come about because of Microsoft wanting DA to hurry the product along. Star Citizen/Squadron 42 will have a traditional Space SIM control system from inside the cockpit. Like Wing Commander, or X-Wing/Tie

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

12. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:51 InBlack

I dunno...I was kind of hoping for a traditional sim ala Freespace, but Freelancer was a jack-of-all-trades master of none game that I couldnt be even bothered to finish. While I do realize that he wasnt satisfied with how the game turned out, so many of its core features sucked really badly, especially the flightmodel and control scheme. The 3rd person action cam view was straight out of the 80's arcades...uhhh.  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:32 Trevellian

Yeah, my bad, I typed Freespace by accident instead of Freelancer, lot on my mind this morning.

Edited my post.

Freelancer was one of my favorite games of all time. So I'm happy. Granted it could have been more as he wanted it to be (Close to a scale of EVE Online) but Microsoft bought out Digital Anvil midway into production and he left.

For those interested though, here is the thread were he is answering questions:
Chris Roberts Q&A On Reddit

Apart from the multi person bridges he mentions boarding parties and other fun things as well.

For the Republic

10. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:23 InBlack

Hang on I just rememberd something....

Digital Anvil had NOTHING to do with Freespace...

Digital Anvil produced Freelancer!!!!

No wonder my brain farted! Im guessing Trevellians post is a little bit innacurate and Christ Roberts was talking about Freelancer, not Freespace....Fuck fuck fuckity fuck...

9. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:20 nin

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:14:
Oh shit, ignore that last post I made.

I mixed up Freespace with Freelancer...

Freespace = very cool.

Freelancer = what I was talking about it that brain fart post I made earlier.

NO NO! YOU SHIT ON IT!

8. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:14 InBlack

Oh shit, ignore that last post I made.

I mixed up Freespace with Freelancer...

Freespace = very cool.

Freelancer = what I was talking about it that brain fart post I made earlier.

7. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:14 nin

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:11:
Trevellian wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 09:58:
The fan questions he began answering over on Reddit just reaffirmed to me that it will be the best game of all time as soon as he answered the question "Will it be like Freespace?" with pretty much the answer, "Yes, it will be like Freespace, but my original vision before I sold Digital Anvil to Microsoft." That was enough for me.

Oh, that and the fact he said you'd be able to have more than one player on a Corvette/Destroyer manning different stations on the Bridge.

I presonally hated Freespace. It sucked major balls. Glorified action game with thinly disguised (and badly implemented) RPG elements and horrible space 'sim' feel. There I said it feel free to stone me and whatnot. I had a bad feeling about this game, now its compounded by this news blurb.

Freespace was NOT a space sim.

Was XWing or TIE Fighter a space sim, in your opinion?

6. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:11 InBlack

The fan questions he began answering over on Reddit just reaffirmed to me that it will be the best game of all time as soon as he answered the question "Will it be like Freespace?" with pretty much the answer, "Yes, it will be like Freespace, but my original vision before I sold Digital Anvil to Microsoft." That was enough for me.

Oh, that and the fact he said you'd be able to have more than one player on a Corvette/Destroyer manning different stations on the Bridge.

I presonally hated Freespace. It sucked major balls. Glorified action game with thinly disguised (and badly implemented) RPG elements and horrible space 'sim' feel. There I said it feel free to stone me and whatnot. I had a bad feeling about this game, now its compounded by this news blurb.

Freespace was NOT a space sim.

5. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:03 Creston

I really hope he makes it, and I really hope the game will be absolutely fucking kickass.

Sadly, I'm tapped out of funding at the moment...

Creston

4. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 10:00 Parias

This is exactly why I invested as well.

3. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 09:59 PHJF

I need to hibernate or something. All these kickstarting projects sound great and all, but I rather like having some actual material by which to follow a game.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 09:58 Trevellian

The fan questions he began answering over on Reddit just reaffirmed to me that it will be the best game of all time as soon as he answered the question "Will it be like Freelancer?" with pretty much the answer, "Yes, it will be like Freelancer, but my original vision before I sold Digital Anvil to Microsoft." That was enough for me.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2012, 10:31.

For the Republic

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo