Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal

The Kickstarter Campaign for Star Citizen has hit its $500,000 goal after just four days of fundraising for this upcoming space simulation from Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts. The Roberts Space Industries Website now shows the game has raised $1.35 million of its overall two million dollar goal (which apparently does not count the half-million from Kickstarter).

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

41. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 17:08 Beamer

Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 16:08:
Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:14:
I dunno. Something about this just sit quite right. Hope I'm wrong but my Spidey sense is tingling on this one.
Same, its full of contradictions. Which is why I won't back it. But if they release it and its not crap I will CERTAINLY buy it.

Privateer was one of my favorite games, as were the x-wing/tie fighter ones, and I quite enjoyed wing commander ones too. I bought joysticks specifically because of flight sims like that.

Edit: Here's my earlier post on the contradictions
I'm feeling similar misgivings. Plus, they are full of contradictions. It almost seems like he's trying to add every feature of popular games into one, just for the sake of having them.

Buy once, but microtransactions... also it will have gameplay thats free, so its F2P but not F2P? "Star Citizen will feature plenty of other ships and we expect players will want to earn credits and figure out which suits their particular style of play best. You can also upgrade to a bigger ship during the crowdfunding phase by pledging additional money." Hmm yeah, not F2P, but you can sure pay 2 win.

Not MMO, but massive and persistent and online, and single player. Which one is it? "This means that it is NOT a ‘click to kill’ interface like most modern MMOs" Like most MMOs? If its not an MMO, why are you talking about MMOs?

Continual updates adding new content, he's going to have to support that somehow.

Full modding supported, and do what you like on private servers... ok then why wouldn't I have everyone start with a bazillion credits to avoid the whole microtransaction thing? Or just have ME start with a bazillion creds. Or setup a store page to pay ME on my modded server to get much more creds?

He's not going to do kickstarter because he can't build fan base the way he wants to... but wait here's kickstarter!

System requirements will change, but here's current, GTX 460. Thats somewhat similar to the 560, which is around $150 right now. He would have been better off not saying anything about current requirements if it will change.

If this was $15 I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. But at $30 (for early backers, $40 if not), I'm going to wait until its released. Too many misgivings about how he's trying to throw everything including the kitchen sink into it.

Yeah, I just don't trust this. Something about it being an MMO but not an MMO but the tiers being MMO sits so wrong with me. So does paying $300 to have a maxed out ship. What's the fun if you have a maxed out ship? If it's an open and persistent world shouldn't it be loot based? But that doesn't really work, so why bother?

I just don't like it. Doesn't mean I think it will be bad, but had it been a single player game I would have enjoyed it more.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 17:06 dj LiTh

Sigh...I'm happy...but honestly all i ever wanted was the vaporware Infinity: Quest for Earth.....  

39. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 16:33 Dev

from the reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/user/CommanderRoberts

We'll fully support mouse like in Freelancer, and Joysticks as in Wing Commander

We have private funding (not publisher funding). The crowd funding side helps to determine how ambitious we can be upfront. The overall game wont cost $20M upfront, but probably by the end of the first year of public release we will have spent that much between the original game and the ongoing content that year

[atmospheric flight] Not in the initial release.

PvP will definitley be part of the game - in fact a big part.

persistent world.

[base building] will be at the higher end of the progression (will cost a lot of money or you'll have to get some friends together to take over a derelict base)

many battle instance is not "locations" on your nav map

Interesting that he anticipates spending $20m in a year on this franchise. Probably why its going to be online persistent with microtransactions, lots of VC type funding. Which unfortunately means he's going to be beholden in some way to the private funding. Which is also probably the real reason why he was going to go without kickstarter at first, since he has majority of funding already.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2012, 17:02.

38. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 16:08 Dev

I dunno. Something about this just sit quite right. Hope I'm wrong but my Spidey sense is tingling on this one.
Same, its full of contradictions. Which is why I won't back it. But if they release it and its not crap I will CERTAINLY buy it.

Privateer was one of my favorite games, as were the x-wing/tie fighter ones, and I quite enjoyed wing commander ones too. I bought joysticks specifically because of flight sims like that.

Edit: Here's my earlier post on the contradictions
I'm feeling similar misgivings. Plus, they are full of contradictions. It almost seems like he's trying to add every feature of popular games into one, just for the sake of having them.

Buy once, but microtransactions... also it will have gameplay thats free, so its F2P but not F2P? "Star Citizen will feature plenty of other ships and we expect players will want to earn credits and figure out which suits their particular style of play best. You can also upgrade to a bigger ship during the crowdfunding phase by pledging additional money." Hmm yeah, not F2P, but you can sure pay 2 win.

Not MMO, but massive and persistent and online, and single player. Which one is it? "This means that it is NOT a ‘click to kill’ interface like most modern MMOs" Like most MMOs? If its not an MMO, why are you talking about MMOs?

Continual updates adding new content, he's going to have to support that somehow.

Full modding supported, and do what you like on private servers... ok then why wouldn't I have everyone start with a bazillion credits to avoid the whole microtransaction thing? Or just have ME start with a bazillion creds. Or setup a store page to pay ME on my modded server to get much more creds?

He's not going to do kickstarter because he can't build fan base the way he wants to... but wait here's kickstarter!

System requirements will change, but here's current, GTX 460. Thats somewhat similar to the 560, which is around $150 right now. He would have been better off not saying anything about current requirements if it will change.

If this was $15 I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. But at $30 (for early backers, $40 if not), I'm going to wait until its released. Too many misgivings about how he's trying to throw everything including the kitchen sink into it.

37. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 16:07 ItBurn

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 15:56:
While I really love the video presentation and think the game looks awesome I'll pass on funding it at this stage, as unlike most of these Kickstarter projects there is no mention it will be released through Steam. I'm happy to pay full price if it turns out properly (which I'm sure it will) and if it's released on Steam. The reason for this is that I have games on other digital services and it's irritating having to deal with lots of different accounts and clients (in addition to Steam I have accounts with Origin, GamersGate, GMG, GOG, Impulse/Gamestop, Desura and Battle.net).

As for the previous games, I really enjoyed the Wing Commander series - especially WC4 and Prophecy. My favourite Chris Robert's game has to be Starlancer, which I still consider to be up there with Tie Fighter. However, I was really disappointed by Freelancer - the gameplay felt horribly off, the graphics were pretty disappointing and it didn't have the sense of scale that Starlancer did (even though Freelancer offered a bigger universe and more to do outside of the ship). It certainly had a great vision but the implementation was pretty poor.

You're right, having no more space sims is preferable to having to potentially and very painfully deal with platforms other than Steam

36. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:56 theyarecomingforyou

While I really love the video presentation and think the game looks awesome I'll pass on funding it at this stage, as unlike most of these Kickstarter projects there is no mention it will be released through Steam. I'm happy to pay full price if it turns out properly (which I'm sure it will) and if it's released on Steam. The reason for this is that I have games on other digital services and it's irritating having to deal with lots of different accounts and clients (in addition to Steam I have accounts with Origin, GamersGate, GMG, GOG, Impulse/Gamestop, Desura and Battle.net).

As for the previous games, I really enjoyed the Wing Commander series - especially WC4 and Prophecy. My favourite Chris Robert's game has to be Starlancer, which I still consider to be up there with Tie Fighter. However, I was really disappointed by Freelancer - the gameplay felt horribly off, the graphics were pretty disappointing and it didn't have the sense of scale that Starlancer did (even though Freelancer offered a bigger universe and more to do outside of the ship). It certainly had a great vision but the implementation was pretty poor.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

35. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:33 ItBurn

I haven't played Privateer, but Freelancer was amazing. I've never owned a flight stick, but I loved the mouse controls in Freelancer. I've played several flight sim games and I do like the more complex controls, but they're not necessary, for me, for a space sim RPG.  

34. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 15:27 Creston

Slashman wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 14:12:
The mouse controls in Freelancer worked great for those people who either like or don't mind using a mouse for space sims.

Can't we all just get along? In those games that allow for it, I use a stick for dogfighting and the mouse for fine tuning my aim. I'm like George from Top Shot season 2 with that setup.

Creston

33. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:25 Optional Nickname!

Someone, please post a link to the details of the ships! So far all I can find is name, model and intended role.

You would think the ships would be the focus of the game and specifications (subject to change, naturally) would already be available!

32. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:24 Creston

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:23:
Hang on I just rememberd something....

Digital Anvil had NOTHING to do with Freespace...

Digital Anvil produced Freelancer!!!!

No wonder my brain farted! Im guessing Trevellians post is a little bit innacurate and Christ Roberts was talking about Freelancer, not Freespace....Fuck fuck fuckity fuck...

Admittedly, the original idea for Freelancer was for it to be Privateer ^2. And Privateer was absolutely fucking incredible for its time. Freelancer eventually turned into a bit of a turd (Though to be fair, it had some really cool stuff in it. The space 'highways' were awesome, it had sectors so cool and so varied that X STILL hasn't been able to come anywhere near close in five attempts at trying, and I actually though Ian Ziering did a great job as the VO for the main character.) but the original ideas he had for it were really cool.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2012, 15:29.

31. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:23 Cutter

John wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:17:
Didn't you say the same thing about Project Eternity? Maybe I'm thinking about someone else..

Pfft, no. PE has my favourite designers working on it. I'm in like Flynn. Wasteland 2? Down like a clown, Charlie Brown. Shadowrun Returns? I'm on it like Blue Bonnet!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

30. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:22 Creston

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:14:
Oh shit, ignore that last post I made.

I mixed up Freespace with Freelancer...

Freespace = very cool.

Freelancer = what I was talking about it that brain fart post I made earlier.

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME, INBLACK! YOU DUN GOOFED!

Creston

29. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 15:15 jacobvandy

Ye olde space sims were a bit before my time as a PC gamer, but I would love Freelancer in an EVE-type living universe. Having the best of both worlds -- awesome action/combat AND deep, immersive infrastructure/economy -- would be incredible. However, I'm not keen to pay up on the promise of that alone... I'm going to wait and see if it can be done.  

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 14:54 John

Slashman wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 14:00:
He speaks for me. I hated the controls in Freelancer.

If I'm playing a space sim I better be able to use a friggin' flightstick.
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use a flightstick in this game.

This space is available for rent

27. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 14:53 Gnolt

right... because on pc we have such an abundant number of space trade/combat sims to choose from

However, if you can play offline or on your own private server you shouldn't take issue with megacorp space bucks being given out for supporters just crank up your own and start without

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 14:12 Beamer

Every time I go to fund this I read the tiers and see "start with a fully loaded top of the line whatsit plus 8 billion galactic spacebucks" and realize this may not be the game I'm looking for.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 14:12 Slashman

Axis wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 14:05:
nin wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:32:
Wildone wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:31:
Freelancer was a gay 3rd person mouse controlled abomination. No serious space sim fan would take that seriously.

Thankfully you don't speak for space sim fans.

The mouse controls in Freelancer worked fantastic, better than any flightstick for my preference.

And that's your preference.

I personally hated the controls. They are not better than any flightstick for me because I have never preferred mouse controls in any space sim I have played(and I've played a fair number of them).

What works for me is to have the option to use a mouse or stick if that is your preferred way of controlling a ship. Some people like Xbox controllers for space sims too. Doesn't mean I want to use one or have to like one.

The mouse controls in Freelancer worked great for those people who either like or don't mind using a mouse for space sims.

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 14:05 Axis

Freelancer was a gay 3rd person mouse controlled abomination. No serious space sim fan would take that seriously.

The mouse controls in Freelancer worked fantastic, better than any flightstick for my preference.

Yours truly,

Axis

23. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 14:00 Slashman

22. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 John

Tumbler wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 11:51:
I've funded plenty of projects simply by browsing around after I go and look at the project I've heard about. I just funded a board game about a band robbery or heist or something. I rarely look outside of video games but it caught my eye and I liked the guys project. Same goes for the other way, people might be looking to fund that star trek indie movie project and then notice star citizen, hmm that might be something I want too!
Same here. I first went to Kickstarter because of certain games I heard about here on Blue's, but then I found a few other non-game projects I was interested in and backed them as well. So far everything I backed that got funding has either delivered on what they said or is being developed/built and keeps me updated on the progress.

This space is available for rent

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo