Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2012, 17:36 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 16:22:
Tablet and phone games: Bad AI, poor controls, sloppy gameplay, very short play-through, and a complete waste of time.

Yet often very fun.
I loved blasting through the two GeoDefenses.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2012, 16:22 BobBob

Tablet and phone games: Bad AI, poor controls, sloppy gameplay, very short play-through, and a complete waste of time.  

27. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2012, 09:05 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 04:42:
wtf_man wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:58:
I guess I'm more irked that people think everyone that buys Apple products, runs out and buys every fricken new model as soon as it is available.
The apple fans I know personally are like that.

Well My IT co-workers (and we're a large Windows Enterprise shop... so we're talking lots o' nerds)... don't do that. They keep their Apple devices for several generations before replacing.

Who would have thought us nerds would be the opposite of fanboy consumers, when it comes to tech?

I guess we're just more realistic.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2012, 09:10.

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2012, 04:42 Dev

wtf_man wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:58:
I guess I'm more irked that people think everyone that buys Apple products, runs out and buys every fricken new model as soon as it is available.
The apple fans I know personally are like that.

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2012, 01:10 Kitkoan

Fantaz wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 00:31:
I don't have any tablet, but I'm thinking of checking out the iPad 4 to maybe get as a portable gaming handheld. Specs seem to be pretty powerful now with A6X. So is it a good platform for gaming?

Bit heavy for extended usage for gaming. You'd be better off with a smaller/lighter tablet like the Nexus 7, or if you must have an iOS a iPad Mini.

Remember, its light in the beginning but give it some time, like 10+ minutes and you'll start to see that it's heavier then you first thought.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

24. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2012, 00:31 Fantaz

I don't have any tablet, but I'm thinking of checking out the iPad 4 to maybe get as a portable gaming handheld. Specs seem to be pretty powerful now with A6X. So is it a good platform for gaming?  

23. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 23:58 wtf_man

Jensen wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:59:
I'm generally happy with my iPad 3, and most of the complaints I have about it aren't fixed by the iPad 4, anyway.

Pretty much this, except I have no complaints that need to be fixed by an iPad 4.

Also... given that my iMac is 5 years old, and I'm only now beginning to think about replacing it... and probably won't for another year... I wouldn't say that I am such a fanboy that I rush out and buy the latest as soon as it is available.

I am getting iPhone 5's for the wife and myself... but again... we're talking about replacing 4 year old iPhone 3g models (The second phone made), and we're switching carriers... so LTE and the carrier switch prompted the upgrade more than a need for new Phones.

22. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 21:59 Jensen

I'm generally happy with my iPad 3, and most of the complaints I have about it aren't fixed by the iPad 4, anyway.

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 15:35:
Who gives a shit that there's something better out than what you've got? Does what you have work well? Does it do what you want it to do? Does it do what was promised?

There is one way this could effect current owners of an older device: newer software may not be as optomized for it as long. And due to the screen resolution, the 3 may be slower than the 2 in some ways... making it the second slowest iPad. The ipad3 is the second iPad to be discontinued.

Not a big deal, though. I'm happy I bought mine when I did, and probably would have even if I knew the 4 was only 7 months away.

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 21:52 Dades

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 19:22:
Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:24:
Apple fans are never irked at new stuff. Many/most of them rush to buy the next gen even if they bought theirs a couple months ago. Which is why apple releases new gens so fast after all. They make piles of money doing it.
That same thing can be said about Android fans also. How often does a new Android tablet come out like every 3-4 months or less?

That's not really comparable, Nexus devices get support for years since they are considered the flagship phone.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 20:44 Dev

Apple fans are never irked at new stuff. Many/most of them rush to buy the next gen even if they bought theirs a couple months ago. Which is why apple releases new gens so fast after all. They make piles of money doing it.
That same thing can be said about Android fans also. How often does a new Android tablet come out like every 3-4 months or less?
Probably pretty often, given that there's multiple companies involved, and each trying to one up the other. Not nearly the same thing as Apple, which is a single company, tweaking their upgrade cycles.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 20:18 Kitkoan

Nexus models are one year apart, and don't have Apples history of one refresh every year for thirty years. When you have this long of a history of one year refreshes (maybe pushed a month or three back) is one thing, suddenly six-seven months later is a different. I know my friend would have just waited for this iPad instead of getting his three months ago.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 19:22 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 19:18 Flatline

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 14:23:
Interesting, I hadn't considered that application developers might be complicating the problem. Yeah that would bug me too. I guess ultimately people have to stop buying the yearly iterations so that Apple can't keep getting away with the upgrade game but good luck with that

That's the general issue. If there's enough outcry they'll roll back compatibility on an app, but it doesn't always happen.

And Apple is partially to blame. My friend is working on a music authoring app that has Apple shitting itself in excitement, to the point that they've assigned an ios zealot or fanatic or whatever they call IOS experts who work with certain companies to push out top tier apps. Right now the zealot guy is pushing *hard* to make the jump from iOS 5 to iOS6, even though the dev tools to help debug the program aren't iOS 6 compatible yet.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 18:24 Dev

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 15:59 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 15:35:
Does the fourth-gen iPad irk you? Yes? Then your problems rank REALLY FUCKING LOW on the importance scale.

Who gives a shit that there's something better out than what you've got? Does what you have work well? Does it do what you want it to do? Does it do what was promised?

Good. Now shut the fuck up.

Creston

one word: Decaf.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 15:48 Alamar

Jivaro wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 14:15:
For example, the NFL Fantasy Football app. It already requires iOS 6 to continue updating and as of yet they are not promising for how long it will be supported by their system as a means to log in and access your team. There is nothing about that app that requires the new iPads' hardware or iOS6 functionality...which makes it even more aggravating.

I also have a couple of games that work fine as is but the developers are still making updates, including new features and game modes, and they require iOS 6 or the update won't download...even though the new features don't actually require anything from the iOS or the hardware that would mandate a newer iPad then the original.

I have been watching this with iOS 4 for sometime, I have every reason to believe that over the next year it will only get worse for iOS 5.

I would just like to point out, that this is not Apple requiring developers to use new iOS features... This is the developer updating their build to use the newest iOS SDK... And requiring it to be run on iOS 6 devices...

As an owner of an iPod 3rd, which won't be upgrade to iOS 6, I am in a similar situation, but as a developer, I'll be requiring iOS 5 (as opposed to 3.2, that I could, with a bunch more effort, work with)...

-Alamar

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 15:35 Creston

Does the fourth-gen iPad irk you? Yes? Then your problems rank REALLY FUCKING LOW on the importance scale.

Good. Now shut the fuck up.

Creston

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 14:50 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 14:23:
Interesting, I hadn't considered that application developers might be complicating the problem. Yeah that would bug me too. I guess ultimately people have to stop buying the yearly iterations so that Apple can't keep getting away with the upgrade game but good luck with that

Almost makes me wonder if there are incentives for iOS 6 requirements. I don't see how making your potential customer base smaller would make much sense otherwise. I mean, going back to the NFL app...if it had a feature that required newer hardware to use, like video chat, I still wouldn't understand the iOS 6 requirement. Would it be so hard to simply not have that feature enabled on older hardware? Skype does that without any problem.

I am lucky though. Mine was a gift, comparatively speaking, I am learning my lesson on the cheap.

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 14:23 Verno

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 24, 2012, 14:15 Jivaro

For example, the NFL Fantasy Football app. It already requires iOS 6 to continue updating and as of yet they are not promising for how long it will be supported by their system as a means to log in and access your team. There is nothing about that app that requires the new iPads' hardware or iOS6 functionality...which makes it even more aggravating.

I also have a couple of games that work fine as is but the developers are still making updates, including new features and game modes, and they require iOS 6 or the update won't download...even though the new features don't actually require anything from the iOS or the hardware that would mandate a newer iPad then the original.

I have been watching this with iOS 4 for sometime, I have every reason to believe that over the next year it will only get worse for iOS 5.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2012, 14:54.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo