Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 26, 2012, 09:58 Ant

BobBob wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 09:35:
As a culture we need to become obsessed with savings. You cannot rely on the government nor private retirement or insurance for your future.
I will rely on your savings.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2012, 09:35 BobBob

As a culture we need to become obsessed with savings. You cannot rely on the government nor private retirement or insurance for your future.  

20. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2012, 09:23 nin

Prez wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 01:58:
I never had a problem with using a debit card everywhere I go for the last 20 years. Maybe I'm lucky, but I never have been given a reason to not trust using it.

The turning point for me was a coworker who had a $20 tip (instead of $2) added on to a $10 meal. He had to haggle with the restaurant manager repeatedly before the guy finally fixed it, weeks later.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2012, 08:17 Creston

I use paper money to pay for stuff in the few places where they don't take Discover, and to play poker with.

Credit everywhere else. Why not? You basically get a 1% discount on every single thing you buy. Over the course of a year, it adds up to like 400, 500 bucks.

And now Amazon lets you buy stuff directly with your cashback bonus. (admittedly, the first time I saw it I was like "Errr, why do you have this information??")

Creston

18. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2012, 04:45 Dev

Sepharo wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:23:
Every now and then if I try to buy a pop at a party store (a soda at a convenience store) they'll tell me I can't use a credit card for purchases under $5.
That used to be against visa's merchant agreement. Until recently when congress passed a law saying they could do that. Expect those signs to start popping up in a LOT more places.

17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 25, 2012, 01:58 Prez

I never had a problem with using a debit card everywhere I go for the last 20 years. Maybe I'm lucky, but I never have been given a reason to not trust using it.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 22:23 Sepharo

I use a credit card for every purchase where it's possible. Every now and then if I try to buy a pop at a party store (a soda at a convenience store) they'll tell me I can't use a credit card for purchases under $5. But that paper money is for settling debts with friends.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2012, 22:35.

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 22:11 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:03:
nin wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:34:
Prez wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 17:54:
I'm a debit card man. Never carry a single bill with me anymore, and I don't use a credit card except when renting a car.

The problem with that is is someone unscrupulous does something with it, they have access to your checking account...

You will get your money back, they cover fraud.

Eventually. After the account is drained and (legitimate) shit starts bouncing.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 24, 2012, 22:03 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:34:
I'm a debit card man. Never carry a single bill with me anymore, and I don't use a credit card except when renting a car.

The problem with that is is someone unscrupulous does something with it, they have access to your checking account...

You will get your money back, they cover fraud.

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 21:56 Dades

Debit cards are perfectly safe and 100% insured by both the bank and the government in most countries. Some shitty banks try to pass off costs to the consumer but if you push it with an ombudsman then they will buckle.

Credit cards are convenient in that you get the funds back immediately while the credit card company does its own investigation. With your bank account they might make you wait the results of an investigation if the amount is large enough but most accounts have withdrawal limits anyway.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 20:10 PHJF

My debit was compromised and i had no trouble getting the money back. Course this was a local credit union, not B of fucking A.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 20:06 Veterator

Plus I don't trust debit cards because banks are more than happy to provide them by tying them to your ATM card. Which means they are getting some benefit from you having them opposed to a credit card which they have some decision process on.

They want you to screw up and they provide the debit card to do just that. At least with checks there's time lag and stuff to fix problems. With debit you're SOL if you don't have funds there as they hit instantly and often times hit more than once in a day.

And with CC you can usually make electronic payments via your bank website, so it's not much less convenient to use a CC for payment over debit. But it's much more protected because you're not the only one at risk for money loss so they actually put effort into preventing problems.

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 18:59 Dev

Sounds like they modified the card swiper (probably from adding hardware). How the frack did the company let that happen in 60+ stores? "Oh hey sir, go ahead and bolt that part onto the card scanner, thats cool"

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 18:53:

If I remember right, there are laws that protect you if you lose your credit card and its stolen (I think legally you are only accountable for the first $50, the rest is your credit card companies problem). The issue is, these laws are for credit cards, they don't effect debit cards so if it gets stolen and your account is drained, that's your problem.

Well they have protections too. The problem is, the banks are often very resistant to getting your money back. After all it was already spent. Whereas with a credit card, anything thats in dispute that you've notified them about, you don't have to pay them. So they are very much interested in figuring out what happened so they can get their money (often from chargebacks to the vendors, its rare that the credit card companies are out any money).
With a debit card, a bank already spent the money. They are out the money if they have to give it back to you.

Also, if you are like many people living month to month, it can cause ENORMOUS problems when a debit card is compromised, not just in not having money in the bank, but in all the overdraw fees from the bank. And those fees you usually aren't protected against by law, which makes the bank even more resistant to refund. And in the meantime maybe a house/car payment bounces, and you get dings on your credit. Getting those removed takes a HUGE investment in time and effort, and thats if its even possible to do so.

So while the end result may be the same (your money back) the journey to get there could potentially be VASTLY different. With a credit card, the journey is usually almost painless, and often can be done with a single short phone call.

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 18:53 Kitkoan

If I remember right, there are laws that protect you if you lose your credit card and its stolen (I think legally you are only accountable for the first $50, the rest is your credit card companies problem). The issue is, these laws are for credit cards, they don't effect debit cards so if it gets stolen and your account is drained, that's your problem.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 18:34 nin

If I'm using it at a place I've not been before, I'll put something on credit and pay it back as opposed to them getting access to checking...

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 17:54 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 17:38 LittleMe

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 13:23:
Having some cash requires stopping at an ATM.

Just keep an ATM with you at all times. Problem solved.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 15:13 Scud

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 13:23:
And possibly going out of your way if you don't like paying ridiculous fees to just to get your own money from a different network.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 13:23 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 24, 2012, 11:27 avianflu

you're right and I meant to say -- having some cash for incidental daily stuff is just as convenient as credit cards. i.e. for buying books at BandN. W

What I dont do is use a credit card like its cash. Statistically speaking -- that's asking for some retail worker eventually to palmswipe your card.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo