Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned

2K Games and Firaxis now offer sales of the Elite Soldier Pack for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a set of customization tools originally offered as a preorder incentive for the strategy remake. This is accompanied by news they are also working on two DLC packs for the game, though they only have details on one of them, and this does not include key points like pricing or a release date. Here is what we know:

The Slingshot Content Pack, the first of two add-on content packs for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available soon. In this new set of linked Council missions, gamers will meet an enigmatic Triad operative, divert an alien ship’s course, and do battle with the aliens in the skies over China. The Slingshot Content Pack includes three new maps tied to the Council missions, a new playable squad character with a unique story and voice and new character customization options. The release date and pricing of the Slingshot Content Pack will be announced soon.

The Elite Soldier Pack, originally free for those who pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown or purchased the game at launch, is now available for purchase for $4.99 (PlayStation®Network) / 400 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network) / $4.99 (Windows PC). The Elite Soldier Pack provides the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:

• Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
  • Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
  • Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.

View
46. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 27, 2012, 01:25 Paranoid Jack

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 08:22:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 23:39:
Slashman wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 21:20:
If you ain't playin' on Ironman, then you ain't playin'!

I'd love to play Ironman but I'm worried the first time I lose a high ranking soldier to an alien shooting through full cover half way across the map I am going to scream so hard I'll have a brain aneurysm and fall over dead.

That only happens with any frequency on Classic and Impossible. It really just doesn't happen on Normal. They'll still make some crazy shots, but when they do you just giggle, because you know the alien had a 15% shot and took it, and made it. I sometimes do that myself because it'll be the only option left, and when I make it I just cackle with glee.

I don't mind the aliens trying the RNG and sometimes winning. What I mind in classic is that they just get a standard +40 to hit and +30 to critical. That's not a "difficulty level", that's a lazy developer's cheat.

Creston

I've been playing on Normal from the start and have been killed through full cover more than a dozen times. The one that was most outlandish was a shot length wise through a bread van (which is full cover) and side ways through a car (which is half cover) while my trooper was in full smoke. The kicker? The alien had no line of site even without the smoke. It was as if the AI was not seeing the van.

They added some kind of randomness on top of the to hit percentages. And that part of the calculation is just nuts. How else can a trooper standing one tile away miss an alien with a shotgun while having a 98% chance to hit. I know they want it to be hard like the original but even with the camera as it is its not hard to see when the alien has no LOS but has been given some crazy bonus to hit and literally can't miss even through full cover terrain that should block the shot. I hope they change the way the game handles those calculation in the sequel.

As far as my troops making the crazy shots... as they've leveled I have seen more shots ignoring LOS or just shooting through full cover. I rarely take any pleasure in the cheap shots because it just makes the game feel a bit off for me. Seems a lot of tactical games have issues with LOS. Maybe we will never play a game that is near perfect in that regard. Though I hate to give up hope.

Over all its not a huge problem for me. I'm still enjoying the game but wishing they would have made a few design choices a bit differently like relying more on good AI tactics to make the game a challenge and less on stacking the deck in favor of the aliens.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Oct 23, 21:11 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Beelzebud
  2. Oct 23, 21:37  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Paranoid Jack
  4. Oct 23, 21:54   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Beelzebud
  6. Oct 23, 22:04    Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Lokust
  7. Oct 23, 22:04    Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Paranoid Jack
  11. Oct 23, 23:58     Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Beelzebud
  29. Oct 24, 09:36  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Mingus
  3. Oct 23, 21:38 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Acleacius
  5. Oct 23, 22:03 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned theyarecomingforyou
  30. Oct 24, 09:42  Re: More Big Picture Details HorrorScope
  8. Oct 23, 22:29 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Tanto Edge
  9. Oct 23, 22:53 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Creston
  15. Oct 24, 01:04  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Tanto Edge
  10. Oct 23, 23:53 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned bortin
  12. Oct 23, 23:59 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned ledhead1969
  13. Oct 24, 00:17 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned RailWizard
  14. Oct 24, 00:25  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Lokust
  16. Oct 24, 02:10 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Riker
  17. Oct 24, 03:45  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned InBlack
  18. Oct 24, 04:22   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned J
  19. Oct 24, 04:28    Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Dev
  20. Oct 24, 05:36     Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned J
  21. Oct 24, 07:17      Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Dev
  23. Oct 24, 07:54       Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Creston
  22. Oct 24, 07:34  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Cutter
  24. Oct 24, 08:15 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Tim Collins
  28. Oct 24, 09:23  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned JSP
  36. Oct 24, 17:45   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Turglar
  38. Oct 24, 19:25   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Flatline
  47. Nov 30, 16:32   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Primalchrome
  31. Oct 24, 09:56  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Creston
  34. Oct 24, 12:53   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Tim Collins
  35. Oct 24, 14:09    Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Creston
  39. Oct 24, 19:37    Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Flatline
  40. Oct 24, 21:20     Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Slashman
  41. Oct 24, 23:39      Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Paranoid Jack
  42. Oct 24, 23:52       Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned nin
  44. Oct 25, 08:22       Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Creston
>> 46. Oct 27, 01:25        Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Paranoid Jack
  43. Oct 25, 08:20     Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Creston
  45. Oct 26, 04:15   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Jerykk
  25. Oct 24, 08:34 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned jimnms
  27. Oct 24, 09:16  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned InBlack
  37. Oct 24, 18:04   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Prez
  32. Oct 24, 10:40  Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned avianflu
  33. Oct 24, 12:51   Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned J
  26. Oct 24, 09:03 Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned JSP

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo