Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned

2K Games and Firaxis now offer sales of the Elite Soldier Pack for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a set of customization tools originally offered as a preorder incentive for the strategy remake. This is accompanied by news they are also working on two DLC packs for the game, though they only have details on one of them, and this does not include key points like pricing or a release date. Here is what we know:

The Slingshot Content Pack, the first of two add-on content packs for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available soon. In this new set of linked Council missions, gamers will meet an enigmatic Triad operative, divert an alien ship’s course, and do battle with the aliens in the skies over China. The Slingshot Content Pack includes three new maps tied to the Council missions, a new playable squad character with a unique story and voice and new character customization options. The release date and pricing of the Slingshot Content Pack will be announced soon.

The Elite Soldier Pack, originally free for those who pre-ordered XCOM: Enemy Unknown or purchased the game at launch, is now available for purchase for $4.99 (PlayStation®Network) / 400 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network) / $4.99 (Windows PC). The Elite Soldier Pack provides the ultimate tools for soldier customization in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including:

• Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
  • Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
  • Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 09:16 InBlack

Agreed. Its a damn ripoff. The main reason being its NOT just cosmetics.

I colour code my soldiers so I can easily differentiate between my troops on the ground.

Red - Heavy
Blue - Assault
Yellor - Sniper
White - Medics (obviously)

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 09:03 JSP

I rented the game and played it once. Replayability is not that good, content packs or expansion may help, but at reduced value.  

25. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 08:34 jimnms

Am I the only one that finds DLC like this puts me off wanting to buy the game? Civ V was the same way, I didn't get it at release because it felt like they were holding back stuff that should have been in the game to start with just to milk more money out of people. I just waited until all the little DLC packs were out and bought the complete deal for ~$20 or so. Had they put all of that content in the game to begin with I would have bought it on day one for $50, so they actually lost money from me. I guess there must me plenty of people who fall for this nickel and dime shit that makes up for people like me that don't want any part of it and pick it up in the bargain bin when it's finished.

I was actually tempted to buy XCOM today since GMG still has the 10% off plus a $10 credit. I got sucked into watching some guy's let's play videos of XCOM, and it had me wanting to play it. The guy was naming his soldiers after people who left constructive comments, which I thought was kind of neat. After a couple of his soldiers died and he was customizing the next ones, he said that he didn't realize you couldn't customize your soldiers if you didn't pre-order. That pretty much killed my desire to buy the game. Now I see that you can do this, if you pay an extra $5.

This is worse that horse armor, this is horse shit. What's next, $5 DLC for a quick save feature, $10 to rebind keys? If this shit keeps up, my grand kinds are going to think DLC Quest was a serious game.

MeanJim on Steam

24. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 08:15 Tim Collins

Maybe its just me but this game is tough as shit on normal. I jumped into this game on normal while having no clue what to do. Now that I totally get it and the patch came out, its still tough. Maybe its the game being easy but it always seems like everything starts crashin down on me. I don't wanna switch to easy mode, can anybody spit some tips on progression and decision making in the game.  

23. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 07:54 Creston

Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 07:17:
The double tap thing, you just end the turn (yes you CAN end the turn before picking actions for everyone, just hit backspace key) and it should work again next turn.

Hmm, I need to try that. It's been my main aggravation with the game, because my double-tap sniper always seemed to run out of ammo between his first and second shot, and he was always just stuck to the point where I had to reload the last auto-save. (Fun in Ironman...!)

Creston

22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 07:34 Cutter

Riker wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 02:10:
3 maps? Come on, Firaxis.

Yeah, this was my main concern from the get-go. Seeing crap like this instead of an editor/randomizer and full on expansions, not just micro missions and a few crummy maps. That's the difference a game people will play for years and one that gets nuked off the HD in short order.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

21. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 07:17 Dev

J wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 05:36:
Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 04:28:
J wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 04:22:
If they want me to consider buying any dlc in the future they need to first patch up the game so it's working properly.
Seems to work fine to me, aside from a few small issues some of them were fixed in last patch.
I've personally had an issue which caused aliens to spawn on top of one of my units and then had my double tap not work after a reload. One of my Steam pals became used to it and thought it was part of the game. It breaks immersion for me and I just cannot tolerate it.
The spawning thing I think is from scripted spawns in a few missions, and yeah, thats annoying.

The double tap thing, you just end the turn (yes you CAN end the turn before picking actions for everyone, just hit backspace key) and it should work again next turn.

It's not going to stop me from enjoying and playing the game, but I'm not everyone.

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 05:36 J

Dev wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 04:28:
If they want me to consider buying any dlc in the future they need to first patch up the game so it's working properly.
Seems to work fine to me, aside from a few small issues some of them were fixed in last patch.
I've personally had an issue which caused aliens to spawn on top of one of my units and then had my double tap not work after a reload. One of my Steam pals became used to it and thought it was part of the game. It breaks immersion for me and I just cannot tolerate it.

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 04:28 Dev

18. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 04:22 J

17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 03:45 InBlack

My Classic X-Com guy died in the first mission. Its weird because I restarted that game and he was still missing in the barracks...

I ordered at launch and got all of this free, but yeah its basically horse armor. Which sux.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 02:10 Riker

3 maps? Come on, Firaxis.  

15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 01:04 Tanto Edge

Creston wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 22:53:
Rather than set missions, I'd rather they release a pack with more tech or a pack with more random maps to play on...

Creston

Why would you want that?
Don't you want a distinct asian man to direct through a three scripted maps?
And the maps will look different from all the rest! They promised.
He'll have a voice. All his own! And a head model off Turbo Squid that one of the artists tweaked.
And he's 'badass' too, didja see, didja see?

Whatever. At least it's not horse armour.
The multiplayer's fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 00:25 Lokust

I think the intent on things like this are to appear punitive toward people that don't preorder, to get you to preorder in the future.  

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 24, 2012, 00:17 RailWizard

Starting to look like the fact that UO ended up a 'decent' game was a fluke.

The customization crap should be default. It's a full price game, stop dicking around with bs like that.

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 23, 2012, 23:59 ledhead1969

They are going to charge $5 a soldier? LMFAO  

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 23, 2012, 23:58 Beelzebud

Paranoid Jack wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 22:04:
Yeah, I can change armor, colors, and give the flat top... but I don't remember seeing any armor that looked like the stuff in the media shot. Maybe it is there and I just haven't noticed it too look as cool as it does in that shot.

I just remembered a fool-proof way to check. Right click on the game in Steam and select View Downloadable Content, and it should show you what DLC you have.

That being said, this is a great highlight of how little that DLC brings to the game, and why 5.00 is probably a bit too steep for it. Had I not pre-ordered the game, I wouldn't buy this.

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 23, 2012, 23:53 bortin

So, the "Slingshot Content Pack" has no actual slingshots as content. Fail.  

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 23, 2012, 22:53 Creston

Rather than set missions, I'd rather they release a pack with more tech or a pack with more random maps to play on...

Creston

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown DLC Released; Two More Packs Planned Oct 23, 2012, 22:29 Tanto Edge

.....lame. Whatever.
The multiplayer's fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo