Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Original DOOM 3 Off Steam

As noted in some irate posts on the Steam Users' Forums, the standalone edition of DOOM 3 is no longer offered on Steam and is difficult or impossible to find on other digital distributors, where the newer DOOM 3: BFG Edition has taken its place. As noted on Eurogamer, the problem is that users have not yet been able to get DOOM 3 mods to work with the BFG Edition of the first-person shooter sequel, leaving those interested in a mod-friendly edition of the five year-old game with limited options (they mention the Super id Software Pack, but this no longer seems to be available in the U.S., either). This does not mean all hope is lost, however, as they have the following quote from a Bethesda rep on the situation: "We do realize that there are fans that would like to purchase the original version of the game, and we're looking into options for them. When there's new info to share, we'll let everyone know."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 25, 2012, 09:32 BobBob

id Software, we keep digging holes a bit deeper.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 25, 2012, 08:36 nin

Fantaz wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 00:48:
netnerd85 wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:38:
[...]
The game is stored on a CD. That CD can be converted into a digital "backup" copy that you can store anywhere. You do not need to keep the original CD.

Enjoy!

Tell me how can you do that?

*cough*

I dump just about everything to ISO, and then use virtual Y: and Z: drives for mounting.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 25, 2012, 00:59 Ant

Fantaz wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 00:48:
[...]
The game is stored on a CD. That CD can be converted into a digital "backup" copy that you can store anywhere. You do not need to keep the original CD.

Enjoy!

Make a disk image like ISO. There are many of those out there

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

34. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 25, 2012, 00:48 Fantaz

[...]

Enjoy!

33. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 17:53 Flatline

JSP wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 08:58:
Just pirate it.

I almost *never* justify pirating these days...

but...

"This".

32. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 16:08 MajorD

Yet another brilliant move by id Software (or their publisher) to accelerate their downward spiral. It is a shame really, as they undoubtedly pioneered PC/FPS gaming, which eventually became crippled by the console market, or tainted; however you want to look at it. id Software was once my favorite developer, but quickly became my least favorite over the years. The abortion of RAGE was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

Yeah, I know, I just can't let it go. Sorry...reading the posts just gets me fired up again. Angry

31. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 14:13 Verno

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 12:47:
You do realise it costs money for these businesses to store and sell digital products?

That is not a valid excuse, most digital stores don't charge storage fees like retailers did with shelf space. They charge a rate based on sales. A single steam sale probably likely pays for years of distribution percentage fees even if they did start charging it.

No one is saying this is the end of the universe, just that its a shitty practice and pretty much indefensible. Normally when a company sunsets a product and wants me to buy a new one then I expect the same or more functionality, not less.

Anways, I totally get why this would upset fans, I just hope they remember it the next time they open their wallets for id stuff.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

30. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 12:47 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 12:35:
No, I wasn't acting like that, I was sympathizing with people who want a legitimate option to obtain older software and have somehow lost their original copy. Acting like everyone should just pirate things or have a permanent digital copy is retarded. Again there is no need for software to be sunsetted like this with digital distribution services.
You do realise it costs money for these businesses to store and sell digital products? Yeah? No? It does. Why keep 10 year old products around that only a very minor amount of people may want?

They should be made free after 10 years any way.

29. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 12:35 Verno

You were acting like there is no other option in the world other than digital which is incorrect. I was offering you another option, a solution to your problem ;)

No, I wasn't acting like that, I was sympathizing with people who want a legitimate option to obtain older software and have somehow lost their original copy. Acting like everyone should just pirate things or have a permanent digital copy is retarded. Again there is no need for software to be sunsetted like this with digital distribution services.

Rolleyes

28. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 10:38 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:22:
I don't use Ebay too often but regardless I don't see your snarky post as an answer to what I was talking about. As age increases so will price and rarity. With digital distribution there is simply no need for products to be sunsetted, especially when you're going to reduce functionality between versions.
You were acting like there is no other option in the world other than digital which is incorrect. I was offering you another option, a solution to your problem

Enjoy!

27. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 10:22 Verno

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 10:04:
There is this place... called Ebay. There are even more options available depending on your country and region.

All else fails, perhaps listen to JSP.

I don't use Ebay too often but regardless I don't see your snarky post as an answer to what I was talking about. As age increases so will price and rarity. With digital distribution there is simply no need for products to be sunsetted, especially when you're going to reduce functionality between versions.

26. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 10:04 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 09:17:
I can only speak for myself but I often play and replay games years later. Right now I am playing a few SNES games even. Unfortunately I'm not always diligent about keeping them handy, sometimes I lose them in moves and whatnot. So it's helpful to have an option to replace them.

Personally I could care less about Doom 3, I thought it was a thoroughly mediocre game but I can see why it would bother a fan. Is there any reason to remove it other than forcing people to get the newer one? Assuming the newer one sells then they'll be peddling DLC for it I'm sure. It's not hard to see what people are annoyed at (I dont really see anyone up in arms about it).
There is this place... called Ebay. There are even more options available depending on your country and region.

All else fails, perhaps listen to JSP.

25. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 09:17 Verno

Creston wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 08:06:
The one thing I don't really get is: Don't these people already HAVE Doom 3? I mean, if you want to play Doom 3 with mods, I understand the BFG edition is pointless, but are there really that many gamers out there who have been just dying to play Doom 3 with mods, but waited until now to get it?

Everyone who bought the game on Steam can still access it. Everyone who bought a boxed copy can still play it?

I can only speak for myself but I often play and replay games years later. Right now I am playing a few SNES games even. Unfortunately I'm not always diligent about keeping them handy, sometimes I lose them in moves and whatnot. So it's helpful to have an option to replace them.

Personally I could care less about Doom 3, I thought it was a thoroughly mediocre game but I can see why it would bother a fan. Is there any reason to remove it other than forcing people to get the newer one? Assuming the newer one sells then they'll be peddling DLC for it I'm sure. It's not hard to see what people are annoyed at (I dont really see anyone up in arms about it).

24. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 08:58 JSP

Just pirate it.  

23. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 08:56 Jedi Master

I was wondering the same thing. It's been over 8 years. If you were at ALL interested in Doom 3, wouldn't you have it already?

I have my old CD copies plus I have it on Steam where I picked it up maybe late 2011? It was on one of those ridiculous sales, so I have all id games from Doom 1 through 3 and Quake 1-IV (even though IV wasn't totally theirs) and Rage, all bought for at least 50% off current price (which was usually a lot less than the original price). I got them there for convenience, as a lot of the older CD-based games have CP issues with modern and/or 64-bit OS.

22. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 08:06 Creston

The one thing I don't really get is: Don't these people already HAVE Doom 3? I mean, if you want to play Doom 3 with mods, I understand the BFG edition is pointless, but are there really that many gamers out there who have been just dying to play Doom 3 with mods, but waited until now to get it?

Everyone who bought the game on Steam can still access it. Everyone who bought a boxed copy can still play it?

Creston

21. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 07:17 Dades

netnerd85 wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 04:53:
Wipe your tears. Those of you who care would have a boxed copy, I do.

Uh no.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2012, 07:23.

20. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 04:53 netnerd85

Wipe your tears. Those of you who care would have a boxed copy, I do.  

19. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 04:28 pagb

It would be a fine move since the old dooms posted at steam use dosbox, and doom3 takes console tinkering to bring it to today's standards (and at 19.90 the whole pack it's nice)... BUT BFG doesn't support existing mods, so this move sucks ass.

FYI: You get to keep old versions if you already had them.
PD: Give up already with the megatexture raging, it is so 2011...

18. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 02:09 Ant

I still have my DOOM 3 installed even though I haven't touched it since 3/10/2009 8:46 PM PT.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo