Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Original DOOM 3 Off Steam

As noted in some irate posts on the Steam Users' Forums, the standalone edition of DOOM 3 is no longer offered on Steam and is difficult or impossible to find on other digital distributors, where the newer DOOM 3: BFG Edition has taken its place. As noted on Eurogamer, the problem is that users have not yet been able to get DOOM 3 mods to work with the BFG Edition of the first-person shooter sequel, leaving those interested in a mod-friendly edition of the five year-old game with limited options (they mention the Super id Software Pack, but this no longer seems to be available in the U.S., either). This does not mean all hope is lost, however, as they have the following quote from a Bethesda rep on the situation: "We do realize that there are fans that would like to purchase the original version of the game, and we're looking into options for them. When there's new info to share, we'll let everyone know."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 01:42 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 22:35:
5 year old game?
9, isn't it?
8. It came out in the summer of 2004.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 00:55 Fantaz

R.I.P. Doom 3 modding scene...  

15. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 00:28 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 21:35:
I was thinking maybe they would hand out the BFG version to those that had it already in their steam library, but now I'm glad they're not.

id is really choking on console cock now, they've more or less abandoned the PC community.

After Rage, who cares? It was a pile of festering shit (engine-wise. The game itself was mediocre.) They can release that crap on the consoles from now on.

Megatexture my ass.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2012, 00:55.

14. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 00:21 RailWizard

Beamer wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 22:35:
5 year old game?
9, isn't it?

It is 9. D3 was out before Steam had anything but Valve games on it.

I also don't see why the fuck Bethesda is involved either. Is iD too fucking busy to handle this minor shit themselves? Same with Q4. They may as well just close shop if they are going to continue to 'delegate' shit like this. Hasbeens.

13. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 24, 2012, 00:07 MajorD

"We do realize that there are fans that would like to purchase the original version of the game, and we're looking into options for them. When there's new info to share, we'll let everyone know." But in the mean time, GFY, you're SOL! Yeah, we can read between the lines.....

12. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 23:23 Jerykk

Lame move by Bethesda. They know that PC gamers have no reason to buy the new version so they remove any alternatives.  

11. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 23:20 nin

Interesting...the eurogamer article points out it's still on sale on gamefly - and they note it requires steam.

The expansion is there also, but it doesn't mention requiring steam.

edit: Get Games sells the mac version.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 23:12 xXBatmanXx

Installed it this AM via Steam. Had it in my library.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 22:35 Beamer

5 year old game?
9, isn't it?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 22:11 theyarecomingforyou

Anybody that wanted to buy the original Doom 3 had plenty of opportunity to do so and it remains in the Steam library for those who have already bought it. That said, there is no good reason to remove it.

It's disappointing that they didn't simply release it for free for existing users. Sure they offered a discount but it's still absurdly expensive for such an old game. More importantly they apparently removed dynamic lighting, which was one of the biggest features of the game - that's because of changes made for console and because they incorporated elements of idTech5 (the disastrous RAGE engine).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 21:52 zombiefan

I sell you my original 3 CD copy of this mediocre shooter, clean CD keys et al.

I'm half tempted to send it back to id after all these years with a note saying "You can keep it..."

6. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 21:48 ASeven

What a fucking douche move. Why do PC gamers keep on going to Quakecon at this point, with Carmack's obvious contempt towards PC gamers being more and more apparent each passing month?  

5. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 21:46 Prez

This is ridiculous. If I wanted the stupid BFG version I would have bought it. I didn't and I am not going to - why would I want to pay again for a gimped, inferior, unmoddable version of the games I already own?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 21:35 DangerDog

I was thinking maybe they would hand out the BFG version to those that had it already in their steam library, but now I'm glad they're not.

id is really choking on console cock now, they've more or less abandoned the PC community.

3. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 21:10 jacobvandy

Yeah, I still had Crysis 2 on Steam after they pulled that. A publisher removing their game from the store doesn't revoke anyone's license to play it if they've purchased it. That shitstorm would be immense...  

2. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 21:03 nin

The games are still on steam, at least in my catalog. I'm assuming they just can't be purchased currently.

Not that that makes this any more acceptable. They never should have been removed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Original DOOM 3 Off Steam Oct 23, 2012, 21:00 jacobvandy

Well, we can't have that cheaper, mostly identical product competing with our new stock, now can we?

What a scam. There is NOTHING I have seen of this "new and better" edition of the game that makes me want to play it instead of the original.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo