Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No BF3 Color Grading Removal

A follow-up post from DICE senior programmer Mikael Kalms says he must retract his recent statement that an option to turn off color grading would be included in the next client patch for Battlefield 3 (thanks Joao). Here's the reasoning:

After discussing this further with my colleagues, we have decided to not implement this feature. This is the studio’s take on this matter, and I support this decision:

"As a studio, it is extremely important for us at DICE to have a unique identity in our games, not only from a gameplay perspective, but visually as well. While we appreciate that some players might want a slightly different look to the game, we are proud of the visual identity of Battlefield 3 and do not wish to change it."

I apologize for getting anybody’s hopes up, and if you have any further questions on this subject, I will refer back to the above statement.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 17:07 Prez

It is hard to wrap my head around the irony of DICE possibly banning people for a simple graphical mod when they exist because of their work on an endlessly moddable game.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 15:50 Verno

I've started using it and quite frankly don't give a shit if they ban me or not. I just play it every now and then to pass some time, it's not super important and if I lost access to the game I wouldn't rebuy it. If they won't ban known/obvious cheaters who piss off legit players but will ban people for using a color mod then that's a pretty shitty multiplayer community anyway.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

28. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 15:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Verno wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 09:18:
The blue tint stuff never bothered me as much as other people but having the option to turn it off doesn't seem like a big deal either. It is a really bad precedent to tell the community you're doing something then go back on it, especially when you're an EA subsidiary. Unfortunately this is the only FPS franchise around other than Call of Duty these days.

Exactly, as far as DICE going back on their former claims. I was looking forward to the official blue tint removal personally, as my vision isn't the greatest, and appears to only be getting worse with age. BF3 is hardly the easiest game to see enemies in; poor choice by DICE to stick with the washed out blue look.

I'm almost at my limit for getting crappy gun drops in BL2, was seriously considering a full on return to BF3 until they decided to drop their plans to remove the blue tint... anybody been using the unofficial tint mods for awhile now, and remained unbanned on official servers?

27. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 13:16 Tim Collins

I'd glad somebody said it but the fact that the background and objects look the same is the single reason I don't play.  

26. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 12:20 Beelzebud

Time has validated my decision to not support Dice or Origin.  

25. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 09:18 Verno

The blue tint stuff never bothered me as much as other people but having the option to turn it off doesn't seem like a big deal either. It is a really bad precedent to tell the community you're doing something then go back on it, especially when you're an EA subsidiary. Unfortunately this is the only FPS franchise around other than Call of Duty these days.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

24. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 08:57 Vex

That's fine, the community already released a tool to tweak color grading.

Fuck off.

23. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 08:07 Creston

ViRGE wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 01:45:
Tom wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 00:26:
WTF is wrong with people. The game looks great as-is.
The blue color grading is one of the worst features of BF3. If you compare some of the beta screenshots (before they added color grading) to the release screenshots, virtually everyone agrees the beta screenshots look better. The color grading gives BF3 a washed out look that few people seem to like.

I guess the 360 crowd loves it, or something?

This is my favorite part: and if you have any further questions on this subject, I will refer back to the above statement.

Read: Fuck you and your questions. Now buy a fucking map pack.

Creston

22. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 07:48 Jackplug

who would want to turn what colour there is in the game off, its depressing enough as it is..  

21. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 07:19 Dades

The game looks good but has a massive blue tint filter that totally degrades the colors. Try it without the blue filter for a minute and then maybe you'll see you're the crazy one.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

20. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 05:33 Prez

I find the unique visual identity claim weird. While the graphics for BF3 are indeed very detailed and generally nice-looking they look to me to be pretty standard fare for any 'modern day military shooter in the desert/urban areas' game. I would be hard-pressed to identify a random screenshot of BF3 from that of any other game of its ilk.

Also, what Sepharo said.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 04:43 jdreyer

PSYCHE!!! Bwahahahahahahaha! *wipes tears away*

I told ya guys you'd get an official way to turn off color grading, then I pulled it right out from under ya. You shoulda seen the look on your faces!

This is why BF2 will be the greatest game Dice ever makes.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 01:45 ViRGE

The blue color grading is one of the worst features of BF3. If you compare some of the beta screenshots (before they added color grading) to the release screenshots, virtually everyone agrees the beta screenshots look better. The color grading gives BF3 a washed out look that few people seem to like.

17. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 00:34 mag

I find it... incredibly hard to pick out background from not-background with everything looking smudgy and gray. I guess that's the point, but it makes the game unfun.

16. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 24, 2012, 00:26 Tom

15. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 23, 2012, 23:08 Morgan19

Woah... Dumb move.  

14. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 23, 2012, 22:53 Sepharo

ELITE wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 22:48:
Just make it a server side setting and call it a freaking day...

Nope... Blue tint is a signature of the series, you're not allowed to remove it. Also motion blur... that's part of the visual identity as well. Forced 8x AA, forced FOV... The game is only allowed to look the way DICE wants it to. Don't you dare touch that brightness slider.

13. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 23, 2012, 22:49 LittleMe

Dice has a long history with the blue tint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTLhWXv2I4A

After that outrage, I never bought a Dice game again!! clusterfuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

12. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 23, 2012, 22:48 ELITE

Just make it a server side setting and call it a freaking day...  

11. Re: No BF3 Color Grading Removal Oct 23, 2012, 22:40 Sepharo

Somebody got their feelings hurt.
"Remove the blue gradient?! That was my idea and it's great!"

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo