Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress

Stardock announces that Elemental: Fallen Enchantress is now available, offering the fantasy strategy follow up to Elemental: War of Magic. As promised, this will be free to those who purchased the first Elemental during 2010 as compensation for the game's problematic launch. Here's word:

Stardock announced today that the long-awaited fantasy strategy PC game, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress, is now available. Fallen Enchantress offers players an immersive new world to build or destroy as they try to conquer the land and its inhabitants. Enter the world of Elemental and create a sovereign with unique talents and abilities along with a faction to align yourself with in an effort to bring the world under your control.

The land is not simply waiting to be claimed, it must be conquered. The lands of Elemental are teeming with monsters, bandits and ancient creatures who will not willingly give up their hold on the world. In addition, other factions are pursuing the same agenda at the same time raising the stakes.

Highlights include:

• A new game every time. Players can choose the world conditions and have a world randomly generated with randomized opponents, monsters and quests.
  • Unique factions to play with or against. Each faction has its own special units, abilities and powers that require different strategies to achieve victory – or to resist against.
  • Massive scale. Players can zoom in and see individuals working in their cities or zoom out to see the known world presented in a real-time cloth map in one smooth transition.
  • Computer players that get better the more you play. The multi-core AI makes use of the character, factions and units players create in previous games.
  • Custom Scenarios. In addition to the epic sandbox game, Fallen Enchantress also supports custom scenarios. The game includes the scenario “The Fallen Enchantress” to introduce players to the backstory.
  • A strategy game in an RPG world. Fallen Enchantress introduces elements normally found in role playing games such as quests, loot drops, moral dilemmas, unit customization and much more.
  • Unique Locations. The world generator will randomly place one of several unique areas that contain special resources to use. These “Wild Lands” have their own powerful guardians who must first be defeated before the treasures within can be exploited.
  • Multiple paths to victory. Players can win through diplomacy, questing, sorcery, or good old fashioned military conquest.
  • An interactive tutorial. To introduce new players to the world of “4X” strategy games, Fallen Enchantress includes an in-depth tutorial to ease players into the Elemental world.
  • Advanced modding tools. The game ships with a rich array of modding tools including a map editor, tile editor and particle editor to provide players with the means to create new races, quests, spells and scenarios which can be easily shared with other players.
  • All-star development team. Fallen Enchantress reunites Stardock’s Galactic Civilizations team and is designed by Derek Paxton, the author of the acclaimed Civilization IV mod “Fall From Heaven”. The Fallen Enchantress scenario was created by the Civilization V designer, Jon Shafer, and the lore, backstories, and dialog were written by fantasy author Dave Stern.

Fallen Enchantress is $39.99 new and free for those who purchased War of Magic in 2010.

It is available direct from its home page (www.fallenenchantress.com) as well as on Steam, GameStop, GamersGate and elsewhere.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 21:16 JaguarUSF

Here's me playing the game for 45 minutes.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:54 Ferazel

Not buying another Stardock game after what Demigod did to me... it had such potential, but it was left to die. If it was supported 1/5th as much as Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends, or any other MOBA it would have been a great game. Instead it was a severely flawed disappointment. Hiding behind that "publisher responsibility" is annoying. Someone needed to take responsibility for that, and I blame you.

Also I don't agree with you politically... so I choose with my dollars.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:50 jacobvandy

I've not gotten around to trying FE yet, but for what it's worth, a friend of mine who loves this type of game and was absolutely unapologetic about bashing the crap out of WoM has had nothing but positive things to say about it. He may not have said "night and day" in his description, but that's the difference I've seen in his attitude toward Elemental.  

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:47 BobBob

hatman13 wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 20:26:
BobBob wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 17:27:
Hitler was just one person in charge of Germany. Those guys at the concentration camps and front-lines were just family men working for their next meal.

Wait - did you just compare an ALLEGED harassment suit with the Holocaust and WW2?

Wait, are you saying you were fighting in WW2 or was a prisoner in a concentration camp at that time? REALLY? Okay ... then ...

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:43 Alamar

Kosumo wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 20:34:
Alamar wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 20:09:

Oh and draginol... Can I have a job? : ) I can work remotely ; )

-Alamar

Is that due to teh sexual harassment side of being onsite? Date

heh no... I actually find his response, and the whole 'making good on a bad situation' pretty inspiring, and he needs a mobile division : )

-Alamar

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:39 bortin

hatman13 wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 20:33:
Hey Draginol!

As to all of the naysayers out there - I challenge anyone to find a single instance in the games industry of a company making good on a previous mistake like this.

Just one.

Sword of the Stars 2 has been updated frequently and had a similar horrible launch. Kerberos is still plugging away at it (they just released their "All Clear" patch) but be careful mentioning that failed launch, they are REALLY sensitive about the subject (ie. they might ban you permanently from their forum! ).

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:38 theyarecomingforyou

I refuse to buy any more Stardock games due to Brad being a complete knob-jockey.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:34 Kosumo

Alamar wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 20:09:

-Alamar

Is that due to teh sexual harassment side of being onsite? Date

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:33 hatman13

Hey Draginol!

Just had a spare moment to try the tutorial. Very polished and the videos are great. Well done!

As to all of the naysayers out there - I challenge anyone to find a single instance in the games industry of a company making good on a previous mistake like this.

Just one.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:26 hatman13

BobBob wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 17:27:
Hitler was just one person in charge of Germany. Those guys at the concentration camps and front-lines were just family men working for their next meal.

Wait - did you just compare an ALLEGED harassment suit with the Holocaust and WW2?

Really?

Really, REALLY?

Okay then ...

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 20:09 Alamar

Prez wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 18:29:
Very cool of Stardock to honor their long ago promise. I was kind of expecting them to conveniently forget that. I would have bought it anyway (once they finished it had it shipped like the first), but free is a better price. ;)

heh... Because it would end up on Steam at some point (maybe already is; didn't look first).

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2012, 20:20.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 19:53 Fibrocyte

jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 19:31:
One comment: I appreciate Brad coming here and answering questions, explaining the game and the rollout, etc. It's not easy to come into the lion's den with all that's gone on recently. And few employees of any company interact with forums in this way. It's much easier just to insulate yourself from your customers.

I want Stardock to be successful. Few game companies make games like this anymore. And I've really enjoyed the SD games I've owned: Galciv 2 and Sins. And I'll be picking E:FE up as well.

Hey Brad: think you could update your screen name from "draginol" to "Brad W"? I didn't realize it was you until I was prompted to check after your 3rd comment.

This is hardly the lion's den. It's a gathering of obtuse gamers who thrive off incessant whining.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 19:31 jdreyer

One comment: I appreciate Brad coming here and answering questions, explaining the game and the rollout, etc. It's not easy to come into the lion's den with all that's gone on recently. And few employees of any company interact with forums in this way. It's much easier just to insulate yourself from your customers.

I want Stardock to be successful. Few game companies make games like this anymore. And I've really enjoyed the SD games I've owned: Galciv 2 and Sins. And I'll be picking E:FE up as well.

Hey Brad: think you could update your screen name from "draginol" to "Brad W"? I didn't realize it was you until I was prompted to check after your 3rd comment.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 19:10 Bhruic

I wonder if people who won't buy from Stardock because Wardell forgoes gentlemanly class in emailing female workers see the irony that they own an iphone made in a plant in China with such terrible work conditions and practices that they had to put up suicide nets to cut down on the 7 a week they were getting. Yep, that Jobs was such a visionary!

I'm not going to comment on the lawsuit, as the courts will determine that, but assuming everyone who won't buy from Stardock because of the incident must own an iPhone is idiotic.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 19:09 jdreyer

I wonder if people who won't buy from Stardock because Wardell forgoes gentlemanly class in emailing female workers see the irony that they own an iphone made in a plant in China with such terrible work conditions and practices that they had to put up suicide nets to cut down on the 7 a week they were getting. Yep, that Jobs was such a visionary!

I would never stoop as low as those iphone users. I don't own any Apple products and never will. I own a SAMSUNG made in a plant in China with such terrible work conditions and practices that they had to put up suicide nets. So there.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 19:04 draginol

bortin wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 18:38:
I'd like to chime in, as I followed the story and was concerned about it up until I read that there were, what, two or three other women who were there and witnessed the alleged sexual harassment. They all side with Brad W. and defend him.

So, we got 1 lady who got upset over whatever the heck was said and threw the sexual harassment allegation out there and we got multiple witnesses who refute that something criminal occurred. Either Brad W. has these other wo0manz on a leash (from the employee videos I saw on the E:FE site, the women who work there are not weak willed nor stupid) or the allegations are based on too much "sensitivity" in the modern work place. And, yeah, women can be abusive and manipulative as well (no duh comment there for the adult guys!).

Damn, I just wish I had time to give the 1.0 release a whirl!!!

I've bit itching to check in my AI updates. The game went into lock down about 2 weeks ago for the 1.0 release. But as some know, I'm on lots of forums so I see lots of strategies posted and go "OH, I want that!"

As for the whole ugly allegations made. When the case is over I'll be happy to talk about it at length. I think those who were quick to give in to easy hate will regret they did so.

I started Stardock out of my dorm room in college. I'm not a good spokesperson. I know that. I'm not polished. But I do try to tell the truth and be honest to our customers. I purposely go out and talk about this stuff as myself. I don't use alias's or go through PR people. That way, if we screw up, people can talk to me directly.

In 20 years of having Stardock, a company that is roughly 50/50 men and women, we've only had one female employee in all that time quit for another job (the person in question). Not a single Stardock employee, male or female, current or former, would ever describe our environment as "hostile".

100% of the team that made Galactic Civilizations still works at Stardock. Men and women. That's how low our turn over rate is.

As you can probably gather, it's an issue I am eager to discuss. But I can't until after it's resolved. The only reason it's not resolved is that I wasn't willing to settle. And as an engineer, I tend to be the settling type because it's not about ego or pride. But we all have a threshold of where we say "No. That will not stand." That's the only reason anyone has heard about this junk. It's because we won't settle it because it's so petty and ridiculous and the other party decided to leak *their version of events* to the press.

Most people here on BluesNews are normal people. They are full of empathy and think "Well I would never do X unless I had good reason." But, I can tell you, and it really is a worthwhile topic (to discuss elsewhere), at what some people will do for "Easy money".

Take a person who is very accessible to the public and has money and they become an easy target.

Like I said, when it's over, I'll be happy to discuss it. I wish I could now because it's a bit torturous to have to absorb abuse when you have undeniable evidence to clear your name. But it'll have to wait until that case is over. It should only be a few more months (the stuff in question happened over 2 years ago, it's not new).

All I can say is judge us by our deeds.

We're giving away around 100,000 free copies of this game because we made a promise called the Gamers Bill of Rights that boils down to promising that we will treat our customers with respect and dignity. And I think War of Magic failed at that. We have a moral obligation to make those customers whole. FE is our attempt to do that.

Hopefully, people will like what we have done here. We'll see soon enough.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 18:53 Creston

draginol wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 16:38:

Games are expensive and anyone who purchased WOM in 2010 or earlier gets FE for free precisely because companies have a moral obligation to make good on their promises to their customers.

Which I think is very commendable. Everyone always bitches that company rush shit out the door and never even bother patching it.

Here they basically made a completely new game and give it to you for free. I'm not really sure why people aren't applauding this behavior, much less have a problem with it.

Kudos to Stardock for making good with their customers.

Now, please make Galciv 3.

Creston

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 18:38 bortin

I'd like to chime in, as I followed the story and was concerned about it up until I read that there were, what, two or three other women who were there and witnessed the alleged sexual harassment. They all side with Brad W. and defend him.

So, we got 1 lady who got upset over whatever the heck was said and threw the sexual harassment allegation out there and we got multiple witnesses who refute that something criminal occurred. Either Brad W. has these other wo0manz on a leash (from the employee videos I saw on the E:FE site, the women who work there are not weak willed nor stupid) or the allegations are based on too much "sensitivity" in the modern work place. And, yeah, women can be abusive and manipulative as well (no duh comment there for the adult guys!).

Damn, I just wish I had time to give the 1.0 release a whirl!!!

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 18:35 Beelzebud

draginol wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 18:22:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 17:56:
You admitted to it all, you just don't see anything wrong with your behavior. I don't have to support you, you are not entitled to sales.

To the other person saying I should buy the game anyway: No I shouldn't. I don't have to support scumbags like this. He is not entitled to my money.

I get the feeling that you're not understanding the issue being discussed then. The only thing I "admitted" to is that I sometimes post/email/tweet things that, when derived of context, can be used to make me look like a jerk. And as long as I'm writing lots of emails, posts, blogs and tweets you will be able to find cases where I say something that will make someone mad.

For someone who casually calls people "Scumbags", something more inflammatory than anything I've been accused of writing, I have to wonder if you're just trying to be ironic.

Focusing on the game itself, if you don't want the game, that's fine. I'm not sure why you're posting here then.

First review of Fallen Enchantress has shown up: 87 (http://www.gamingogre.com/review/elemental-fallen-enchantress-review/)

I get the feeling you don't understand the difference between comments from a stranger on the internet, and a boss harassing an employee. You have power over your employees.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Oct 23, 2012, 18:29 Prez

Very cool of Stardock to honor their long ago promise. I was kind of expecting them to conveniently forget that. I would have bought it anyway (once they finished it had it shipped like the first), but free is a better price.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo